Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Wireless Range

Options
  • 28-11-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have had a wireless network on the go (sucessfully) for some time now. But recently its all gone a bit Pete Tong.

I have a Dlink DIR-655 Router which is pretty good and stable. Connected I have:
    2 X XBOX360 (wired)
    3 X Laptops (wireless)

The problem is with 1 of the Laptops which is the furthest from the router as it is downstairs (router is upstairs). This has always been the case and never had any problems before now in terms of internet access on the one downstairs. I have tried every channell on the router also but no joy. If I bring the laptop upstairs it is super quick accessing web pages/downloading ect. I think that there is some new interference there now that was not there 2 weeks ago when all was well.

Recently however the one downstairs just stopped working, in that it shows that it is connected to router, gets assigned its IP address, but cant access any web pages ie Google.
    However, if I bring the laptop in question out to the hall at the bottom of the stairs all is well.

I have tried a few diffterent express cards in the lappy but all have the same issue no matter what is written on the box.

I was looking to extend the range of the DIR-655 but cant seem to find any compatible hardward from Dlink. I also have a spare LinksysWRT54GS router that I thought I could use as a repeater but doesnt seem like it.

I dont need excessive speeds at the laptop in question just a stable connection to the internet and I would like to do it wirelessly.

I was looking on ebay and seen a Belkin Wireless Range Extender which i might give a bash.

Could someone please help me out here with some advice as to how I can achieve this range expansion of DIR-655. This is really getting me down now as all I ever hear when I go downstairs now is "I still cant get onto the internet", "Can you fix this???" and "Whats wrong with the router???"

My head is melted, please help.

Thanks,
    George.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

you could try higher gain antennas or try moving the router to a more central location in the house (if possible).

if you suspect that "interference" has set in, try unplugging EVERYTHING in the house except your modem/router. see if that cures the speed. turn on each item like tv, radio, fridge etc etc. might help eliminate what's interfering (if anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Thanks Humax,

I may give the higher gain antennae a try as moving the router to a central position would be a massive cabling exercise.

I think the interference is comming from our neighbours house as there were no problems until recently and we have not really changed anything, with the exception of getting Sky HD in (3 boxes).

But as far as I can remember the problems started earlier than that.

Are there any High Gain Antennas that you could reccomend?? I saw them on ebay but there were a lot of different types and I wouldnt be sure what kind of quality hey were.

Thanks,
    George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You need to look for one that has the highest gain in db.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9dbi-Booster-WiFi-Wireless-Router-Antenna-Aerial-SMA_W0QQitemZ300277171618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Networking_SM?hash=item300277171618&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

This one (9 db) will nearly triple the effective power of the router.However, this does not mean that the signal will be 3 times stronger. It still may not solve the problem. I think you need to change all the aerials on the router.

I should add that using one of these MAY increase the effective radiated power beyond what's legal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you suspect the neighbours have you checked to see if there are any wireless networks nearby? or tried changing the wireless channel? Netstumbler should tell you if there are any other networks nearby?

You havent introducted any of those wireless tv senders by any chance? They can be disastrous for wireless. Would the powerline stuff like say this Netgear one be any use to you?

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_range_extender_wgxb102.php

Advertisement