Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First board

Options
  • 29-11-2008 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm just learning how to surf and want to get a board for Christmas. Can someone give me an idea of what board I should get. I'm 5ft6.

*edit* I've been offered a 2.19m board at a reasonable price. Is this too small for me as a beginner or will it be ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

scoot on wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm just learning how to surf and want to get a board for Christmas. Can someone give me an idea of what board I should get. I'm 5ft6.

*edit* I've been offered a 2.19m board at a reasonable price. Is this too small for me as a beginner or will it be ok?

First things first - we never evolved past feet and inches here in surfing land :D

So this board you've been offered is about 7' 2" I think, what sort of board is it (plastic/fibreglass/expoxy and make), what sort of weight are you for your height, your budget, how often you plan to surf etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

c - 13 wrote: »
    First things first - we never evolved past feet and inches here in surfing land :D

So this board you've been offered is about 7' 2" I think, what sort of board is it (plastic/fibreglass/expoxy and make), what sort of weight are you for your height, your budget, how often you plan to surf etc.

I had to google it to find out what it was in feet and inches too :)

Ya I think it's 7ft 2. I'm 9 and a half stone.

It's this one: http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk/cgi-bin/miva?wcs/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=HIFLY72&Category_Code=HIFLY

Not from there but a friend has one of those that's unused and is selling it for 150 euro.

Haven't been out very regularly yet due to other sports but am intending to really get into it after Christmas.

I had a 7' 10' one of those starting out but I was much heavier than yourself.

Depending on what he's going to give you with it (Bag, Leash etc.) it doesn't sound too bad at all, better if you can get some bits and pieces obviously, your probably talking at least E300 minimum for the basic setup from a shop anyway.

With your height and weight it should be fine to start out.

The only thing is I outgrew the board fairly fast and it can be a bit "clunky" in the water for want of a better word. Still not a bad price starting out at all.

I had a 7' 10' one of those starting out but I was much heavier than yourself.

Depending on what he's going to give you with it (Bag, Leash etc.) it doesn't sound too bad at all, better if you can get some bits and pieces obviously, your probably talking at least E300 minimum for the basic setup from a shop anyway.

With your height and weight it should be fine to start out.

The only thing is I outgrew the board fairly fast and it can be a bit "clunky" in the water for want of a better word. Still not a bad price starting out at all.

Cool thanks. Don't think there's any extras with it so will have to get a bag and leash myself. Do you still think it's worth it?

I don't really want to spend a fortune on the first board because as you say I'd be hoping to outgrow it as I get more experience.

Leash is about E20 don't bother with a bag as plastic boards are practically indestructible, I would get a board sock though just to keep the wax off your car, so about E40 - E50 for the sock (less if you buy online), couple of pars of wax and a wax comb E10.

So not taking wetsuits into account that thats you in the water for About E220 - E230. Pretty good considering the same package is coming is about E330 at my local surf shop (excluding board sock).

Next cheapest option is a 7' 3" Bic (including leash/wax/bag) from KingofWatersports.com which comes out at E264 (Excluding delivery).

So yeah, i'd say go for it, at least you'll be saving yourself nearly E100 on your started board.

One thing I would say though, Hi-Fly boards are fairly wide.

I don't know if your male or female but me G/F is in or around the same height as you and she found the 7' 10" hifly to be too wide to paddle for her, her shoulders were too narrow with regards to the board width to allow her to dig in properly.

So try it out before you buy it, just in case.

• Advertisement

Leash is about E20 don't bother with a bag as plastic boards are practically indestructible, I would get a board sock though just to keep the wax off your car, so about E40 - E50 for the sock (less if you buy online), couple of pars of wax and a wax comb E10.

So not taking wetsuits into account that thats you in the water for About E220 - E230. Pretty good considering the same package is coming is about E330 at my local surf shop (excluding board sock).

Next cheapest option is a 7' 3" Bic (including leash/wax/bag) from KingofWatersports.com which comes out at E264 (Excluding delivery).

So yeah, i'd say go for it, at least you'll be saving yourself nearly E100 on your started board.

One thing I would say though, Hi-Fly boards are fairly wide.

I don't know if your male or female but me G/F is in or around the same height as you and she found the 7' 10" hifly to be too wide to paddle for her, her shoulders were too narrow with regards to the board width to allow her to dig in properly.

So try it out before you buy it, just in case.

Thanks a mill for the advice. I'm a girl so will defo check out the width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

if ya don't go for that one look into a bic. can't go wrong with a bic when starting off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

I'm about the same size as you and I've got a circle one 7 6" minimal. It's more expensive than a bic but it's pretty light for the size so I don't think I'll be outgrowing it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

here my 2 cents anyways i got 7'8' board wetsuit,bag,booties,leash and wax for €520 during the summer from tubes in cork even if ur not going to get one there would be no harm 2 go in and ask bout a board and the guy in there is really helpfull would tell you exactly what size u need and give u all the info.;)

Advertisement