Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin South By-Election

Options
  • 29-11-2008 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

will probably be held before the local elections, and where I live has recently been moved from dun laoighre to dublin south

anybody got any opinions on this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I haven't checked to see a list of candidates but is a relation of Seamus Brennan going to run?

I think this was mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

It's a bloody joke, Cowen won't have it until next June, which means we'll go a year without a TD.

I'm not sure if Seamus Brennan's son will run, he would have walked it (getting a large sympathy vote), but the recent anti-government feeling could be bad for FF. With Tom Kitt set to retire, FF will be keen on keeping their stronghold in Dublin South with a high-profile candidate.
    Fiona O'Malley will be looking for the nod. She had Lisbon posters up around Goatstown cross (miles away from her Dún Laoghaire constituency) just to increase her profile around the area. That would be disasterous, she's a bit of a wagon and it's clear that she has no loyalty and just wants to be a TD.

Whatever the result, it will be interesting to see how it pans out! Can't Wait!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Never even heard of Fiona O'Malley, how has the dublin south constituency been extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Tragedy wrote: »
    Never even heard of Fiona O'Malley, how has the dublin south constituency been extended?

She is Des O'Malley's daughter, former PD TD and current PD senator (for the time being:pac:). If they run a Brennan FF should hold the seat, if not Labour and Alex White may sneak in under the radar. FG in that area have a good counsellor that ran well but failed to win a seat last time, if they went with him they could make a gain but the party wants to run Senator Regan, and this is infuriating the local FG grass roots.
    That is what I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Gingy wrote: »
    It's a bloody joke, Cowen won't have it until next June, which means we'll go a year without a TD.

I would'nt say that - there are four other TD's in the area, including another FF (Kitt). I would not like to see another Brennen get the seat - I've never liked the "It's our family seat and ours alone" attitude among political families.

Whatever happened to Eithne Fitzgerald? Did she retire from politics? She got 2 quotas in 1992 if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

dogmatix wrote: »
    I would'nt say that - there are four other TD's in the area, including another FF (Kitt). I would not like to see another Brennen get the seat - I've never liked the "It's our family seat and ours alone" attitude among political families.

Whatever happened to Eithne Fitzgerald? Did she retire from politics? She got 2 quotas in 1992 if I remember.

Yeah, After losing out in 1997 and 2002, Eithne called it a day.

Kitt might as well have retired, once he got the sack from cabinet, he has effectively retired. He has had to let go all of his staff bar one. He was pressurised by FF to put up posters in the area for Lisbon, so going from a place with 2 senior FF TD's, FF might lose their stronghold in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gingy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Seamus Brennan's son will run, he would have walked it (getting a large sympathy vote),

And people wonder why we have an ineffective government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what i want to know is who is doing his job now

Advertisement