Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY is coming into my school next year. Looking for some advice.

• 29-11-2008 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

They are introducing TY in my school next year and although I'm too old to avail of this service(I'm doing my LC this year) my sister is the right age. She is doing the JC this year and has the choice to do TY or not. She isn't too sure what to do. My parents want her to do it cos she is only 14, a year younger then most of her year and they have heard alot of good things about it but of course she doesn't want to get left behind by her friends that aren't going to do it.

So, those that are doing TY atm and maybe some people that have done it(if ye are here), what did ye think of TY and would ye recommend it to others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Animo wrote: »
    They are introducing TY in my school next year and although I'm too old to avail of this service(I'm doing my LC this year) my sister is the right age. She is doing the JC this year and has the choice to do TY or not. She isn't too sure what to do. My parents want her to do it cos she is only 14, a year younger then most of her year and they have heard alot of good things about it but of course she doesn't want to get left behind by her friends that aren't going to do it.

So, those that are doing TY atm and maybe some people that have done it(if ye are here), what did ye think of TY and would ye recommend it to others?

I did it, it was well worth it!
    School became a bit more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

awful TY programmes, that are unenjoyable and a big waste of time
    that is what my school ty was like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

I don't really know if I'd do it again... It varies so much from school to school, and even from person to person that you can't know if it's worth it till it's over. I'd say, of she's so young, that she hasn't anything to loose. I mean 16 doing the leaving is really really young, for starting college after. Depends on if she's the kind of person who gets involved in things or not, like if she works at it the year can be really worthwhile. She wont loose any friends if they're in the same school, or at least she'll gain new ones hopefully? Anyways it's really up to her, if she thinks she'd regret it if she didn't do TY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭adamb92

I did it last year, and I can honestly say its definitely worth it. Some schools have terrible programmes, but most have good ones. I'd say go for it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

I'm in fifth year now and I did TY. Depending on the TY co-ordinateur it could be a great experience for her. However, it can be very easy to slip into relaxed and lazy atmosphere. From my experience most teachers do a bit of work in each subjects but they are fairly laid back about it. Honours maths is an issue as if they start the course it is very easy to lose focus. This subject is the most important one to concentrate on, from my experience. I myself became laid back and lost focus which caused my grades to slip.

If she does a reasonable amount of work in TY in realtion to subjects she should be fine. It is a great experience and you do loads of things you wouldn't normally do in school. The work experience is a key part of TY, my advice is as soon as they start talking about it in the school look for someone to take her on as the sooner she starts looking the better chance she is of getting a job she might be interested in.

If she is a year younger than most of her friends she might be better off doing TY! Good Luck either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I realise i'm a bit late but I did TY and it was good didnt like the co-ordinator too much but the course was great so much different to just normal school but again it all depends on the school, co-ordinator and 1st year of ty will probably be fairly bad because its kind of an expermental year to see what works, also with the recession their probbaly wont be many trips because of the cut backs in substitution cover!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marron_

since its the first year it may not be that good. TY is compulsory in my school for the past 15 years or so. 162 students do it every year so the school has been able to get good things set up cuz its such a regular thing. there are trips to greece, france, spain, austria and even hong kong. these took years to establish and get up and running.

also cuz we've such a big group the school can get us into things that others smaller schools cant. for example we can do scuba, snorkelling, mini company, kayakin, mountain-climbin, photography and loads more. again, these took years to work out with the various groups that come in to teach.

...i cant see your school having a good ty programme in its first year. it's a pitty cuz it can be brill! ask your teachers to see what they have got in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Animo wrote: »

Sister eh,?:cool:

But seriously it depends on the school...my school T.Y is good but im starting to wonder why i bother coming in anymore tbh!!....Work Experience is feckin' brilliant though...Its prob worth doing T.Y for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TYs0809

I'm doing TY this year. I decided to do it because I thought I was to young and I had no idea what I wanted to do after school.

There is 70 people in TY this year and it's probably split down the middle with people who love it and people who hate it.

I'm definetly one of the people that love it while the trips are kind of not that great at the moment its still good. You only get out of it what you put in already, so far I've done first aid, safe food course, a computer course in GMIT, our school musical, we'v been to dublin, then later on in the year theres PAL, songschool, drive for life, Gaisce and loads more that we have done and loads more to do yet.

There will be days where you hate it because a trip gets cancelled or there just isn't anything interesting on.

You get to see a completely different side to teachers they are way easier to talk to and have a different respect for us.

The bad sides can be like in our year the classes are fairly big and in about 5 of my classes its impossible to learn anything because of the amount of dossers who just have no respect at all for anyone and are just using ty as a way to fool around for the year, majority of these are the people that end up hating ty.

I know from all my friends that didn't do ty that I made the right decision because they have sepnt the last few months not working in 5th and they are only beginning to start to work now.

You also learn way more about careers and what you want to do picking subjects is way more serious for us then it us for the junior certs picking them now because they don't realise how serious their decision is.

If your sister takes a genuine interest in the year and puts effort into it it will be a good year even without trips but if it's just to be in school an extra then repeat the leaving instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

My adivice
    Run for the hills
    While you still can :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I don't regret doing TY, but to be honest I wouldn't do it if I was in 3rd year now. Budget cuts really screwed up a lot of this year, but nothing on what next years gonna be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

I put all I had into TY.
    Went mad and tried everything.|
    Came out of it with budles of certs and a Leadership award.
    Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

Just finished TY defiantly the best year of my life thus far. My school was already involved in loads and we have a brilliant TY coordinator. Yet his idea of the year was do as you please. He didn't object to you taking a day off because you were tired or spending a few hours hours in the computer room messing with photos and stuff. Yet he got people involved in everything.

How good the year is has nothing to do with how many people do it. There is 40th in my year yet I think we had about 30 people in most days. Even with these small numbers the school had a photography course a module of sailing, Gaisce and loads more.

Its been 19 years since TY was first set up even if its your schools first year doing it there is so much already organised that the school can tap into. Look into anything you might be interested in and there will probably some form of course or module in it then bring it to your teacher and try to get them to get the school involved.

My other advice if you do partake in the year is do as much as you can. The truth be told about TY "You get out what you put in" I know guys who wasted the year and now regret not doing stuff during it.

So ultimately if you do it have fun!!!
    I can't but recommend it.

Advertisement