Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 HMR on the 10/22

Options
  • 29-11-2008 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    Can someone tell me, is the .17 HMR ammunition available in this country? I've never seen it, although I believe the British banned it in the use of semi automatics. There are conversion kits available for the ruger 10/22 but I can only find American sites, and that's a closed border since 9/11.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

halpo999 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me, is the .17 HMR ammunition available in this country? I've never seen it, although I believe the British banned it in the use of semi automatics. There are conversion kits available for the ruger 10/22 but I can only find American sites, and that's a closed border since 9/11.

Yea its available any firearms dealer should stock it, range from 13 plus euro for a box of 50. Great little round for vermin..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Hi,

I would have thought getting a conversion kit would require a seperate certiicate, import license etc and really too much bother to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I don't think there's a coversion kit for the 10-22. They (Ruger) call it the 17-22. Its a completely separate entity. Its based on a ,22 magnum 10-22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

ruger 10-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 halpo999

Nope, I was reading about it last night, it incorporates a heavier bolt because of the increased blowback and a barrel of your choice, from a standard blued to a fluted bull barrel. As anyone who has a 10/22 knows, it is a doddle to remove the bolt and barrel, so converting it is easy. As for the seperate licence, that could be an issue since I'm changing caliber. Although the fact that I'm downsizing, I wonder if that would be a consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

while your numerically downsizing in terms of .22 to .17, the .17 is after all a magnum(Honardy Magnum Rimfire). Your effectice range is increased as well as terminal velocity on target. I have a .17hmr, at the minute im actually getting rid, its a great round its just the .22lr represents better value for money at the ranges im shooting at.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    ruger 10-17

I knew there was a 17 somewhere in the name!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 halpo999

I'll put this to bed for now, I wasn't thinking when I started this thread, the fact that I wan't to use a different caliber of ammo means I need to have it printed on my licence in order to buy it. I can just imagine the hassle I'd get trying to explain to my firearms officer what I want to do with a conversion kit. It is probably easier to just purchase a rifle in that caliber.
    Thanks for the replies.

Hi,

Is it 17 Mach 2 that you want to convert to, not 17HMR? Just seen it.....

http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html

The bolt is only a not a new bolt as such but a weight which helps the timing of the blowback system of operation.

It mightn't be too hard to license as you think it might be.

You can go from .22lr to 17M2 and .22WMR to .17HMR, but not .22lr to .17HMR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

Your Ruger 10/22 Frame will not take the .17HMR bolt.

The tolerances are far too high for the 10/22 Receiver Frame.
    The Frame on the 10/22 is aluminum.

The frame on the 10/77 is solid steel. It is actually the frame for Ruger Magnum.

I have a 10/77 custom made from the US in Semi Auto.
    It is an outstanding Firearm.

I'll send photos if you wish and contact details of the maker

• Advertisement
Advertisement