Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice areas for walking

Options
  • 29-11-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I'm north of Carrigtohill and there are one or two wooded areas that are quite nice for a walk. Anyone got any other recommendations for the east cork area. Prefrerably ones where the wife and kids would be able to go safely on their own (if such exist?)

Also this year santa will be bringing my 3 year old a bike. Besides car parks anyone any ideas where to let her ride it safely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

gramlab wrote: »
    I'm north of Carrigtohill and there are one or two wooded areas that are quite nice for a walk. Anyone got any other recommendations for the east cork area. Prefrerably ones where the wife and kids would be able to go safely on their own (if such exist?)

don't be so paranoid. basically anywhere but the northside of cork city is alright. ya usually won't see any riff raff outside of towns

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

"the Line" rochestown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The front strand in Youghal is lovely, plenty of smooth concrete for little bikes.
    If you're not bringing bikes Claycastle and Redbarn are also nice.

If you head over to Little Island there's plenty of nice wide paths where you could bring the new cyclist.

Cobh is good - the five foot walk is another good option for both cycling and walking, there's a playground there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Agree on youghal strand, lovely on a sunny day, even around now.

Glenbower Woods in Killeagh is corking, and there's lots of different walks from very short to medium long. Castlemartyr Woods, near the entrance to Capella, isn't as nice but it's not bad for a quickie to wear the kids out.

Ballycotton cliffs is fun because the terrain and views change quite a bit, and it's one way so you just turn back when you've enough.

And Garryvoe Strand of course, pick an end and go the other way!

EDIT: If anything in particular takes your fancy let me know and I'll point you to a google map.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

towel401 wrote: »
    don't be so paranoid. basically anywhere but the northside of cork city is alright. ya usually won't see any riff raff outside of towns

Just back from a walk around the northside. Actually there was no real riff raff. It was quite and peaceful ,plus you get nice views of the city.

Blackrock castle along lough mahon is nice, so is the leefields both flat with a wide tarmac path.

Ballycotton along the coast is good put may not be safe for small kids. The beach at Garryvoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Agree on youghal strand, lovely on a sunny day, even around now.

Glenbower Woods in Killeagh is corking, and there's lots of different walks from very short to medium long. Castlemartyr Woods, near the entrance to Capella, isn't as nice but it's not bad for a quickie to wear the kids out.

Ballycotton cliffs is fun because the terrain and views change quite a bit, and it's one way so you just turn back when you've enough.

And Garryvoe Strand of course, pick an end and go the other way!

EDIT: If anything in particular takes your fancy let me know and I'll point you to a google map.

adam

Have done or know most of the above. Have a good few close to myself around Leamlara and Lisgoold but said I'd put the question out in case anyone knew of a nice spot that not many knew about.

Ballycotton is a great spot but with those cliffs I might get tempted to divorce the wife ;)

Where exactly is Glenbower woods in relation to Killeagh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Always go to Ballyannon woods myself.

In behind the Thatch, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Did they not harvest Glenbower? Used to go there with my Uncle growing up on a Sunday and always enjoyed it but the last time I was there (years ago) they had cut a lot of the trees, Has it been replanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Marlogue Wood near Cobh has some nice walks , the only problem is the walk back uphill as most of the trails end up down at sea level ,
    Here's a link to the Coillte site with all the woods in the Cork area
    http://www.coillte.ie/index.php?id=724

• Advertisement

Did they not harvest Glenbower? Used to go there with my Uncle growing up on a Sunday and always enjoyed it but the last time I was there (years ago) they had cut a lot of the trees, Has it been replanted?
    Dunno about that but there's plenty of cover now anyway! That's why we go there on the more overcast days.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

fitzdragon wrote: »
    Marlogue Wood near Cobh has some nice walks , the only problem is the walk back uphill as most of the trails end up down at sea level ,
    Here's a link to the Coillte site with all the woods in the Cork area
    http://www.coillte.ie/index.php?id=724

Lived in Cobh for a few years and your'e right about Marlogue.

Cheers all for the ideas.

Advertisement