Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valium and long-haulers

Options
  • 29-11-2008 4:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Ok so in February I have to fly Perth >> KL >> J'berg >> Cape Town >> Buenos Aires

I am stopping for a bit in KL but the rest is one after another.
    I'm not a fan of flying, it's not fear of death or anything, just how trapped I am for so long it freaks me out a bit and I've had full on panic attacks on planes before! What I want to know is, that if I go and see a doctor here in Australia, would they prescribe me some valium if I explained my situation? I've never taken it but heard I'd be relaxed and in and out of sleep and wouldn't have a care in the world while on the planes. Advice? Experiences? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

If you tell them that you are having panic attacks they will probably prescribe benzos of some variety. They don't usually make you sleep though just more able to deal with panicky situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

I've taken valium on flights and it makes you feel "peaceful" and can help aid sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Best advice is ask a doctor...

My GP gave me a script for 'stilnox' tables. Took one after leaving Sydney recently and had a good 8 hours sleep. Arrived in Abu Dhabi feeling good... but wrecked by the time I got home. Overall they are a help with travel and also getting back in time sync when home.
    Not sure about valium, ask your doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

H2G2 wrote: »
    My GP gave me a script for 'stilnox' tables.
    I have heard really bad things about stilnox and would be reluctant to use it. This girl I knew took stilnox before going to bed to help her sleep and told me she would wake up in her car and not remember getting there. There are alternative remedies out there to help with anxiety and restful sleep that don''t have the side effects attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There is no medical advice on boards so please refrain from pescribing medication. Only a doctor can do that.

OP, go to your doctor, explain your situation and see what he/she says.

Any more suggestions of drugs the op should be prescribed or telling people to go to dodgy places to get a script filled and this thread will be locked. Discussing your own experiences of drugs and flying is fine.

• Advertisement

Spam nuked.

Spanks for the reported posts. Very strange spam altogether. How do these people pick where to post these things on boards?!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They must do it based on activity. This forum would have a bit of traffic overnight so people are likely to see it before it gets deleted. If it was posted in say Dublin City no one would see it really before it was nuked.

Or it could just be random.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

watna wrote: »
    Spanks for the reported posts.

Durty!

Durty!

:D

Tee Hee. You really have a dirty mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'm not a huge fan of flying either, and had a couple of long haul flights earlier in the year. Went to the doc and just got enough tablets for those exact flights (cos I'm not a fan of tablets either :) ).

They were fine on the way over - didn't help me sleep at all, but I was fairly relaxed.
    I was told to take it an hour before flying, but on the way back the flight was delayed about 3 hours or so. Don't know whether I'd taken it too early or what, but I nearly went out of my mind on the way back - particularly when the rest of the plane seemed to be asleep, and I was afraid to get out of my seat for fear of waking people :) Finally got up and went down to the galley where the staff were chatting quietly, explained the situation and asked if they minded if I hung out with them for a while until I calmed down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement