Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug pulled on new Coláiste na Coiribe building.

Options
  • 29-11-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Was reading in yesterday's City Tribune that the government has pulled the plug on a new building for Coláise na Coiribe, due to lack of funds. Apparantly, the City Corpo had purchased a site in Knockncarra (very near the Ballymoneen Road roundabout) for about 4.5 million with a view to selling it to Galway City VEC. Now, the government has indicated it doesn't have the funds to proceed with the project.

Methinks in any case that there is greater need for secondary schools on the other side of the town. West of the Corrib has Salerno, Taylor's Hill, the Jes, the Bish, Enda's, St Mary's.

Currently only two secondary schools on the other side of the town: Moneenageesha and Coláiste na Coiribe. It therefore makes sense that Coláiste na Coiribe continue to maintain a strong academic presence on the other side of town. West side already has a strong academic presence, and the Irish interest is served by the Irish stream in the Jes and the secondary in Spiddal, which is only 15 minutes drive away from Knocknacarra.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/5763-plug-pulled-secondary-school-knocknacarra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.... there is greater need for secondary schools on the other side of the town. West of the Corrib has ... [lots] Currently only two secondary schools on the other side of the town: .... It therefore makes sense that Coláiste na Coiribe continue to maintain a strong academic presence on the other side of town.

+ 1000 (1 from me, 999 from everyone else who travels on the roads).

I just cannot imagine how their management thought moving west was a good idea. If it's because lots of their current students come from there, then they need to take a good hard look at their enrolment policies and start focussing on the community they are located in/near, and send the other students to places nearer home.

There is a need for a big secondary school on the east side of the city. Somewhere in Dabhach Uisce (Doughiska according to logainm.ie)

However any new school will be a community one run by the VEC and parents will still want to send their kids to private ones on the other side of town.

You forgot the Mercy is east of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Somewhere in Dabhach Uisce (Doughiska according to logainm.ie)

Doughiska in Irish is Deoch Uisce.

There was supposed to be a new secondary school being put up here, but now us parents are being told that the education budgets have been cut so heavily that every single primary school is going to lose at least one teacher, and all school expansion budgets that have not been allocated have been withdrawn. There is no money for any new facilities in current schools, and class numbers are going to increase heavily.

I am sending my daughter to school in Oranmore, and there is a college directly behind the national school (Calasanctius), so we are relocating there sometime in the next 6 months.

Bonzodog wrote: »
    Doughiska in Irish is Deoch Uisce.
    Not according to an tAire logainm.ie Doughiska

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

And I also forgot the Pres, which is west of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Why, out of interest, would a parent choose to send a child to a private school over a community one? Results are impressive from community schools in Galway.

Why, out of interest, would a parent choose to send a child to a private school over a community one? Results are impressive from community schools in Galway.
    Only Irish kids go to Gaelscoils, kids of foreigners go to community schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Only Irish kids go to Gaelscoils, kids of foreigners go to community schools.

I thought Gaelscoils were just another flavour of "community" school? And that there was nothing to stop non-Irish-national kids going there, except that their parents probably want them to learn English.

And I've definitely been told that most Irish kids didn't do to them either, until all those pesky foreign nationals came in and the Gaelscoils offered a "white-flight" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

But not all Community Colleges are Gaelscoileanna. Where did that idea come from? Some are, some aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Bonzodog wrote: »
    I am sending my daughter to school in Oranmore, and there is a college directly behind the national school (Calasanctius), so we are relocating there sometime in the next 6 months.

The up side of the secondary in Oranmore is the level of equipment and tech that’s in the place. I'm guessing it would be the most modern around the city at the moment.

It’s an outrage that the government are cutting so much from education when it is already lacking. This whole thing of first time buyer mortgages from the government should not have been introduced and the money spent on capital projects such as schools. The mortgage thing is purely to help the developers shift the new housing stock they have been stuck with. At least if the money was used on capital investment it would be new buildings, creating jobs i.e. taxable income, generating sales i.e. VAT income and giving an asset to the state at the end of it. Going the mortgage route is just bailing the developers out, the jobs still go, the mortgages are for new houses and first time buyers so stamp duty does not really generate enough income and the VAT income is a once off and to top it all off the state ends up with liabilities. Where is the sense in that…

Any way back on topic on off the rant.... its a pitty to see yet another needed project going down the tubes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement