Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I Pay?

Options
  • 29-11-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I got busted speeding a couple of weeks back and received a letter in the post yesterday with fine and all that jazz. However, the reg number was missing a digit on the letter.

Now, I am a person who generally holds my hands up when ive done wrong and says "Fair Enough, you caught me". But im also a person who agrees that human stupidity should not be rewarded (we have enough stupid people roaming the planet)

So, can i get out of this one?

Also, please oh please, all you righteous, law abiding citizens, keep your "You broke the law man, you should pay your fine man..." comments to yourself. I'm well aware of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i dont know but i presume since its not your car on the form ya dont need to pay. I wouldnt anyways ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

No, simple if they got your reg wrong, they can't prove it. Bin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Dont pay it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

ok, so dont pay it seems to be the solution then.

Now, do i just ignore the letter and let it go as far as receiving a summons or do i return the letter to where it came from stating thats not my reg number?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't be so sure. They do have your correct reg on the system, otherwise they couldn't have traced you. I'd ask a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dabko wrote: »
    Now, I am a person who generally holds my hands up when ive done wrong and says "Fair Enough, you caught me". But im also a person who agrees that human stupidity should not be rewarded (we have enough stupid people roaming the planet)
    blah...
    Also, please oh please, all you righteous, law abiding citizens, keep your "You broke the law man, you should pay your fine man..." comments to yourself. I'm well aware of it.
    I don't get it. You are a person to admit guilt and hold your hands up when you done wrong? But when the Gardai miss out a letter on your reg you don't want to admit/hold hands up? Because they are stupid?

Don't pay it if you think you can get away with it but don't think that you still are an upstanding citizen.
    /pc

biko wrote: »
    I don't get it. You are a person to admit guilt and hold your hands up when you done wrong? But when the Gardai miss out a letter on your reg you don't want to admit/hold hands up? Because they are stupid?

Don't pay it if you think you can get away with it but don't think that you still are an upstanding citizen.
    /pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

How did they get your address if the reg number they took had a missing number ?
    might just be a type on the fine so if they look at their system, see your details, and the fact that you didnt pay.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. They do have your correct reg on the system, otherwise they couldn't have traced you. I'd ask a solicitor.

The garda stopped me, took my licence details and sent me on my merry way. This is how they traced me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 the main man22

hi people,i am just looking for some advice,i am new to this.my problem is i got caught speeding the other night,the guard asked to see my licence,he said do i still live in the address on my licence,i said yes was not lying but realised after that i do not live there anymore,forgot i never changed address on my licence, so i called to my local guarda station and said to the guard that i got caught sppeding and i wanted to know could they send it to my new address and the guard said i should not worry about it,i said i did not want to go court over not paying and end up getting a bigger fine and the guard said sure if you go court your defence would be i never recieved it, and do i not read the papers,basically they were telling me to forget about it,and if i do go court it will be threw out, does anyone know if they are rite and i must stress that i never even seeing the guard before in my local station so i dont know him or her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

ahhh. id say u cant get out of it :) - you did the speeding not the car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You might want to reread biko's post.

To quote Biko:
    "But when the Gardai miss out a letter on your reg you don't want to admit/hold hands up? Because they are stupid?"

I would never call the gardai stupid, they have a hard enough job dealing with scum bags the country over. I only want to capitalise on human error.

Nice guys never finish first. And i don't do upstanding citizen bullsh1t either.

but i dont mind paying the fine,i had every intention of paying until i went to the guard station, and the guard said to me literally dont pay it

but i dont mind paying the fine,i had every intention of paying until i went to the guard station, and the guard said to me literally dont pay it

That really seems to be piss poor form on behalf of the individual Garda (not the gardai as a whole) who told you that.

I suppose though, if you really want to pay it, call the Garda fixed charge processing office in Thurles, Co. Tipp on 1890 304060, explain whats happened and im pretty sure they will help you in relation to taking your money from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well then wtf are you asking for? You're going to get one of two possible answers, one being the ''right answer'' and the other being self fúcking righteous.

You know you're not going to pay it, you came here looking for everyone else to tell you same, but don't bitch and moan if someone calls a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It sounds like are'nt gonna pay it, so dont.
    Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You obviously have no intention of paying and are looking for some sort of vindication from here even though your know your doing the wrong thing.

Either that or you live your life based on the comments made on an internet forum.

i might pay it ,am just not sure what to do yet,i did the crime and dont really mind paying the fine,its just the penalty points i could do without

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

hi people,i am just looking for some advice,i am new to this.my problem is i got caught speeding the other night,the guard asked to see my licence,he said do i still live in the address on my licence,i said yes was not lying but realised after that i do not live there anymore,forgot i never changed address on my licence, so i called to my local guarda station and said to the guard that i got caught sppeding and i wanted to know could they send it to my new address and the guard said i should not worry about it,i said i did not want to go court over not paying and end up getting a bigger fine and the guard said sure if you go court your defence would be i never recieved it, and do i not read the papers,basically they were telling me to forget about it,and if i do go court it will be threw out, does anyone know if they are rite and i must stress that i never even seeing the guard before in my local station so i dont know him or her

talk about hijacking a thread !

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, much appreciate your comments and views. I think ill go see whats in the food and drinks sections now so as to decide what to have for dinner. ;)

Please leave all the morals out, im not interested. I was looking for advice on whether or not i can get away with this, based on other peoples experience, i would make up my mind. Simple.

Thank you those of you who seen this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I got busted speeding a couple of weeks back and received a letter in the post yesterday with fine and all that jazz. However, the reg number was missing a digit on the letter.

So, can i get out of this one?

werd

**** them

I wouldn't trust the guard that told you that???

As someone said, they clearly have your details if they were able to trace it back, if you don't pay it you could end up in court and as long as the summons has the correct details you're probably fecked. And I know the judges can be total asses in these cases so I wouldn't want to take the risk if it was me.

And by the way, trying to get away with a fine does not make anyone any less of an "upstanding" citizen, that's just rubbish, noone would ever pay fines if they thought they would get away with it, hence the reason they're enforced!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

It must be remembered that the Garda who issued the ticket/summons can simply make an application to have the reg amended in court on the day.

It's up to you if you want to contest it after that. If the Judge grants the amendment to the correct reg then it's hard luck and a court fine/points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Go back to school :rolleyes:. Actually if they traced you OP, then yes you should pay it. I mean surely your not that mean to pay an owl fine now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you don't want to hear peoples opinions, then stop coming on here and ruining the motors fourm with stupid threads about how your internal conflict is tearing you apart as you struggle to decide whether or not to take responsibility for your actions or to be a smartarse. In reality, you've already decided to chance your arm and are just here looking for approval, a proverbial slap on the back and some cheerleaders to make you feel like a hero.
    I couldn't give a **** what decision you make nor about the consequences, but threads like this end up in righteous indignation about other peoples righteous indignation and it's just a horrible spiral downhill after that. Unfortunately they're getting all the more frequent too. I for one would be all in favour of creating a seperate section for these incessant "I'm smarter than the law threads", so that the motors section can get back to motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

alias no.9 wrote: »
    If you don't want to hear peoples opinions, then stop coming on here and ruining the motors fourm with stupid threads about how your internal conflict is tearing you apart as you struggle to decide whether or not to take responsibility for your actions or to be a smartarse. In reality, you've already decided to chance your arm and are just here looking for approval, a proverbial slap on the back and some cheerleaders to make you feel like a hero.
    I couldn't give a **** what decision you make nor about the consequences, but threads like this end up in righteous indignation about other peoples righteous indignation and it's just a horrible spiral downhill after that. Unfortunately they're getting all the more frequent too. I for one would be all in favour of creating a seperate section for these incessant "I'm smarter than the law threads", so that the motors section can get back to motors.

Well obviously you could if you wrote all that crap

craichoe wrote: »

+1:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

craichoe wrote: »

It's the incessant threads seeking approval that annoy me, not the fact that someone takes a decision to follow a particular course of action. If you're going to do something, just ****ing do it. Why is it necessary for all these people, most of whom have little or no record of posting in the motors forum, to come to the motors forum to seek approval?
    Each thread is the same
    - a poster who has quite obviously already made up their mind starts a thread to ask for opinions as to what they should do but warns everybody that they should limit their opinions to those in agreement with the planned course of action
    - another poster takes the bait, gets on high horse, accuses the OP of being a big bad criminal
    - next poster gets on a high horse of their own and accuses the previous poster of being on their high horse
    - repeat ad nauseam
    There are now several threads every week with the same ****e. I for one am tired of it and no doubt many others are too. Content wise, the motors forum is generally quite good, but it's getting dragged progressively downhill by this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Why even ask for opinions then tell people that you wont listen to the ones you dont like?

I actually hope you get done for this.

Advertisement