Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of non-religious stamps ffs

Options
  • 29-11-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I bought a book of stamps in my local post office today and walking up the road I opened them to find baby jesus wriggling in his nest on each of them. :rolleyes:
    I had to go back and ask did they have any others.
    'But they're Christmas stamps' said the Post Office Teller. I said 'Great, any chance of a few snowmen instead?' No, they're the only ones we have other than the normal stamps.
    So I got a book of normal stamps and said 'It's a disgrace they're still putting religious icons on the stamps of this state'. She said we were Catholic country. I said, we were as in past tense and walked out.

Call me pedantic, call me scrooge but what a crock of s**t that they still do this. Surely they could just use non-religious christmas stamps with snowmen, snow landscape, polar bears drinking coke etc.?

This type of thing makes me want to attend this Atheist Assoc thingy tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well done for completely over-reacting to a collection of stamps released for Christmas - a Christian holiday. Fight da powa!

I'd suggest hoarding stamps throughout the year so you wont be affronted by such terrible things again. Oh, wait! They already have non-religious stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So you have a choice of Christmas stamps or normal stamps but you want non-religious Christmas stamps ?

Are you not just getting offended for the sake of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There are more important things to get worked up over than stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It'd take more to offend me to be honest.
    Its just retarded that an office of the state produces anything religious anymore.
    Its one small point in a very big picture.

Even got a mention from the lads...

Section 3.18

http://irishhumanism.org/resources/HAIDialogueGov_070705.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Zamboni wrote: »
    I bought a book of stamps in my local post office today and walking up the road I opened them to find baby jesus wriggling in his nest on each of them. :rolleyes:
    I had to go back and ask did they have any others.
    'But they're Christmas stamps' said the Post Office Teller. I said 'Great, any chance of a few snowmen instead?' No, they're the only ones we have other than the normal stamps.
    So I got a book of normal stamps and said 'It's a disgrace they're still putting religious icons on the stamps of this state'. She said we were Catholic country. I said, we were as in past tense and walked out.

Call me pedantic, call me scrooge but what a crock of s**t that they still do this. Surely they could just use non-religious christmas stamps with snowmen, snow landscape, polar bears drinking coke etc.?

This type of thing makes me want to attend this Atheist Assoc thingy tomorrow.

:D Your gas.

It is Christmas Season, so You will see a lot of the baby Christ, (the hint is the name really)

Oh and you are pedantic ;)

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »
    It'd take more to offend me to be honest.
    Its just retarded that an office of the state produces anything religious anymore.
    Its one small point in a very big picture.

Really, you can only but laugh away the intolerance. Very amusing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I am offended by birds, where can i get stamps without one on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

jhegarty wrote: »
    I am offended by birds, where can i get stamps without one on it ?

Funny that, birds seem quite offended by me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Well done for completely over-reacting to a collection of stamps released for Christmas - a Christian holiday. Fight da powa!

I'd suggest hoarding stamps throughout the year so you wont be affronted by such terrible things again. Oh, wait! They already have non-religious stamps.

I'm going to keep a list of how often you miss the sodding point.

Secular state with no provision of protection for a specific theology + putting images unique to that theology on official state stationary = abuse of power by the government of that nation.

I'm paying for this stuff to be designed and I dont remember being asked if they could slap the sacred images of a death cult on the national correspondence. Innocuous things like snowmen etc would reflect the fact that christmas is celebrated less as a specific rleigious holiday these days but more as an excuse to relax, have a knees up and generally enjoy yourself for 48 hours out of the year.

Sorry that we terrible non-believers have hijacked your holiday but in fairness you guys didnt exactly worry about thieving it from the pagans you were happily burning at the stake.

... And yes, it is sillyto get upset over this kind of thing but its even more silly to think it's ok to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Secular state with no provision of protection for a specific theology + putting images unique to that theology on official state stationary = abuse of power by the government of that nation.

I'm paying for this stuff to be designed and I dont remember being asked if they could slap the sacred images of a death cult on the national correspondence. Innocuous things like snowmen etc would reflect the fact that christmas is celebrated less as a specific rleigious holiday these days but more as an excuse to relax, have a knees up and generally enjoy yourself for 48 hours out of the year.

Sorry that we terrible non-believers have hijacked your holiday but in fairness you guys didnt exactly worry about thieving it from the pagans you were happily burning at the stake.

... And yes, it is sillyto get upset over this kind of thing but its even more silly to think it's ok to defend it.
    Luckily your not the only person in the state. Therefore nobody gives a toss what you want its what a majority want (or dont mind - alot of people dont care whats on the stamps). At the end of the day it is a religous/christian event and wouldnt have existed without them. Lets not bury your head in the sand and pretend its anything else.

I suppose you's like us all to go around and start calling it the "Holidays" next!

• Advertisement

Really, you can only but laugh away the intolerance. Very amusing :D

I am intolerant that a modern state where I pay taxes produces relgious art on a stamp.
    You find that laughable. Good for you.
    I don't. Its a symptom (albeit a small one) of the archaic hold that an idiotic religion has on this country.

They must have updated that stamp to be more fitting in the current climate.
    He looks strangely white and fat for a Jewish child from the middle east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Cant you look at it like halloween? It used to be some kind of religious thing going back years ago but for most its a different sort of event now. For me christmas time is about family and the baby jesus story is a nice family story, even if its entirely bogus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Which secular state are you referring to? Surely not the Republic of Ireland whose Constitution begins with the following preamble:
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire, Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our
    Divine Lord, Jesus Christ
    , Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial, Gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation, And seeking to promote the common good, with due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity,
    so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations, Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.

I agree that Ireland should be a secular state, but it is not. Maybe you should start by challenging the Constitution rather than complaining about stamps?

An Post is a Limited Liability Company that answers to the Minister for Finance. It has been tasked with providing a service to the State and and is expected to be run as an efficient, profitable business. The increased quantities of mail attributed to the Christmas rush is part and parcel (boom, boom!) of running a profitable business. Therefore, on a purely business level, I see no reason why An Post should forgo potential profit by not catering to public association of Christmas with Christ. Why maybe they should consider moving into other secular events and religious holidays. I won't be stopping them.

Apparently you feel quite strongly that the state is abusing it's power by protecting Christianity (we are talking about stamps, right?). I suggest you take your bitter protests to the streets.

PDN wrote: »
    I agree that Ireland should be a secular state, but it is not. Maybe you should start by challenging the Constitution rather than complaining about stamps?

First we take back the stamps...
    Then we go for the Irish Constitution...
    Then the world!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Wait till you see the stamps next year.

womoma wrote: »
    Wait till you see the stamps next year.

LOL

Don't start me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If anyone kicks up a fuss about it you'll get heaps of old sots and fools writing to the nationals about POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAAAD, and if I hear that idiotic phrase one more time I will actually punch the person who says it.

Sorry, I may be venting...

I'm tempted to get into a funny photoshop war, but it would only end up with a stamp with a picture of Mohammad with a bomb on his head, and that never ends well.

I'm tempted to get into a funny photoshop war, but it would only end up with a stamp with a picture of Mohammad with a bomb on his head, and that never ends well.

*incites hatred*

Do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Next year let's campaign for Satanic Slut stamps!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You're right - it's wouldn't end well. :)

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAAAD[/B]

"That is political correctness gone mad."
    I've been thinking about this recently. It's one of those terms that can be used for good or evil. And the same can be said for the opposite term, which might be something like:
    "this is a secular country".

What I mean is, I think both arguments can be used by fanatics or bigots, who can twist them for their own purpose, for example the Christian who wants the hijab banned because "this is a secular country", but doesn't want to see the nativity play banned because that would be "political correctness gone mad".

Sorry, that wasn't explained very well. Hopefully someone will get my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Its CHRISTmas.

If you have an issue just get normal ones.

I'm against the death penalty but some people should be killed for the torture they inflict via bullsh*t...

Spyral wrote: »

I'm against the death penalty but some people should be killed for the torture they inflict via bullsh*t...

Hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"That is political correctness gone mad."

*punches*

Nothing personal, sorry.

I've been thinking about this recently. It's one of those terms that can be used for good or evil. And the same can be said for the opposite term, which might be something like:
    "this is a secular country".

What I mean is, I think both arguments can be used by fanatics or bigots, who can twist them for their own purpose, for example the Christian who wants the hijab banned because "this is a secular country", but doesn't want to see the nativity play banned because that would be "political correctness gone mad".

Sorry, that wasn't explained very well. Hopefully someone will get my point.

Yeah, you have a point. According to one of the Google results I just got before I got bored reading, the phrase is more frequently used by the right. (Hardly surprising.)

Spyral wrote: »
    Its CHRISTmas.

It's the winter solstice.

Looking at this thread earlier reminded me I needed to get some cards and stamps pronto. I asked for Christmas stamps specifically.

The only thing that shoked me was the price.

I do like An Post's ads at the minute - the moment you send a card it's Christmas.

This is the most relaxed thread round here in ages.

Better stir some emotions up...

ok...

pat-kenny.gif

pope_funny.jpg

Also.. NSFW! (explicit language-you've been warned)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvB25-qPK4
    ^I love the superimposition of the torture victims between shots of Pats face^

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Surely the OP is some sort of windup no.. ?

Advertisement