Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of non-religious stamps ffs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Although I do find that the OP has over reacted here I would like to know purely out of interest how would you or any other Christian feel if the only stamps available to buy promoted atheism ?

Would you feel annoyed and would you buy them ?

That's hardly relevant since the Christmas stamps are not the only stamps available. You can still buy ordinary stamps.

The OP wants to buy Christmas stamps that refer to winter rather than Christmas. Snowmen? Do you want sandcastle stamps in the Summer as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

PDN wrote: »
    That's hardly relevant since the Christmas stamps are not the only stamps available. You can still buy ordinary stamps.

The OP wants to buy Christmas stamps that refer to winter rather than Christmas. Snowmen? Do you want sandcastle stamps in the Summer as well?

C'mon, that's not fair.

When was the last time you could build a sandcastle in Irish Summer?

(Yeah, ok, you could say the same about snowmen in Winter...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yeah the summers are too cold these days for it to sand. I haven't seen a good proper fall of sand since the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

why celebrate the solstice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

why celebrate the solstice
    Coz it's fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

womoma wrote: »

canoworms1.jpg;)

Gaacht? (Klingon food)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Spyral wrote: »
    Its CHRISTmas.
    Well done for completely over-reacting to a collection of stamps released for Christmas - a Christian holiday.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but was christmas not a pagan celebration that was subverted by the early christian church, as they did with many other pagan deities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Correct me if I'm wrong here but was christmas not a pagan celebration that was subverted by the early christian church, as they did with many other pagan deities?

As I understand it the date was picked (no one has an idea when it really happened , or didn't) so the converting pagans didn't have to give up their big winter piss-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I heard somewhere Jesus was actually born in summer. Can't say if it's true or not...

What's altering a few small/important facts for the sake of posterity, eh?

I heard somewhere Jesus was actually born in summer. Can't say if it's true or not...

The date was never recorded anywhere, so we don't really have a clue.

We don't even know the actual year.

By our calender Herod died in 4bc , so we are at least 3 years out.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    As I understand it the date was picked (no one has an idea when it really happened , or didn't) so the converting pagans didn't have to give up their big winter piss-up.
    Interestingly though the early church didn't even celebrate the birth of Christ, Easter was the main deal, so it looks increasingly like they were merely looking for a way to co-opt a celebration where the pagans were having really kickass parties (as is evidenced by the way that they had no power to dictate how it was celebrated for most of its history). So happy Saturnalia everyone!

Tbh the more you probe at the historical and intellectual underpinnings of Christianity, the more rotten the entire thing gets. Of course if you have faith in Cesare Borgia Christ on the cross, that isn't supposed to be a problem.

Its the biggest lol on earth, theres really no point in taking it seriously. Its like the inverse of what Gandhi was talking about - first you fight them, then you laugh at them, then you ignore them, then they shrivel up in a cloud of Pope Ignoramus the triple-X's flatulence and vanish.
    Well it should provide some comfort to those bemoaning the transformation of the holiday into a glut of materialism, that it was historically usually an orgy of one kind or another. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

jhegarty wrote: »
    The date was never recorded anywhere, so we don't really have a clue.

We don't even know the actual year.

By our calender Herod died in 4bc , so we are at least 3 years out.

We don't know the actual year, but we do have some clues about the time of the year.

First of all, it was certainly not in December. Shepherds would never be watching their sheep in fields in the middle of winter (Like 2:8). I've been to Israel in December and it is bitterly cold!

Secondly, we know that Jesus was 6 months younger than John the Baptist (Luke 1:36). We also know that John's mother became pregnant shortly after her husband had been on priestly duty in the Temple. He belonged to the division of Abijah, and their slot on the rota was in June or July. That would mean John the Baptist was born around April and therefore Jesus would have been born in October.

That's assuming you believe any of it, of course. ;)

The real date was never an issue in early Christianity since the Resurrection, rather than the birth of Christ, was what was important to believers. The hijacking of the 25th of December by Constantine and his successors was a cynical move to cement his bastardised version of Christianity as the official faith of the Roman Empire.

Interestingly though the early church didn't even celebrate the birth of Christ, Easter was the main deal, so it looks increasingly like they were merely looking for a way to co-opt a celebration where the pagans were having really kickass parties (as is evidenced by the way that they had no power to dictate how it was celebrated for most of its history). So happy Saturnalia everyone!

Tbh the more you probe at the historical and intellectual underpinnings of Christianity, the more rotten the entire thing gets. Of course if you have faith in Cesare Borgia Christ on the cross, that isn't supposed to be a problem.

Its the biggest lol on earth, theres really no point in taking it seriously. Its like the inverse of what Gandhi was talking about - first you fight them, then you laugh at them, then you ignore them, then they shrivel up in a cloud of Pope Ignoramus the triple-X's flatulence and vanish.

Well it should provide some comfort to those bemoaning the transformation of the holiday into a glut of materialism, that it was historically usually an orgy of one kind or another. :D

I suggest you convert this into a letter and send it to the nationals:D

Interestingly though the early church didn't even celebrate the birth of Christ,

Very true, I think the first records of any celebration are around 200 - 300 ad....

I suggest you convert this into a letter and send it to the nationals:D
    To do that I would need to care.

To do that I would need to care.

Can I convert it into a letter and send it to the nationals?

Can I convert it into a letter and send it to the nationals?
    Only if you post it with a snowman stamp. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I mean if i saw a stamp saying 'God doesn't exist' I'd hardly buy them. So I concede that OP has a point, but I don't think it is as offensive the othre way round.

Why not ?

Have only certain groups got the right to be offended ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Ireland is a Christian Country tough **** if you don't like it. Go somewhere else if a religious holiday offends you so much. Then again you might end up in a Country that won't tolerate your attitude and you'll be back thanking God or whoever that you can whine like a bitch here and have weak and cowardly politicians to pander to your sorry ass.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Ireland is a Christian Country tough **** if you don't like it. Go somewhere else if a religious holiday offends you so much. Then again you might end up in a Country that won't tolerate your attitude and you'll be back thanking God or whoever that you can whine like a bitch here and have weak and cowardly politicians to pander to your sorry ass.

It's also an English-speaking country, but no-one's going to tell you to leave because you can't formulate proper sentences.

• Advertisement

It's also an English-speaking country, but no-one's going to tell you to leave because you can't formulate proper sentences.

WAAAAH!!! He owned us so now I'm going to cry about sentence structure and other non relevant stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

WAAAAH!!! He owned us so now I'm going to cry about sentence structure and other non relevant stuff.

Who says owned, what are you like 12?

Keep crying.

Keep crying.

Only if you keep trolling. We'll see who lasts longer.

You people only make up less than 1% of the population. Stock up on you stamps in November and keep cashing your CHRISTmas bonus checks and enjoying the day off because nobody feels sorry for any of you.

You people only make up less than 1% of the population. Stock up on you stamps in November and keep cashing your CHRISTmas bonus checks and enjoying the day off because nobody feels sorry for any of you.

What do you mean 'you people'? O_o

Galvasean wrote: »
    What do you mean 'you people'? O_o

Take a guess Genius.

Take a guess Genius.

It was a joke. :pac:
    Genius shouldn't start with a capital letter unless it is the first word in the sentence.

You can't dispute anything I said so you still go to insults the smallest most insignificant detail. And I thought the atheists were the "intelligent" and "enlightened" group. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You can't dispute anything I said so you still go to insults the smallest most insignificant detail. And I thought the atheists were the "intelligent" and "enlightened" group. :rolleyes:

The points you made in your initial post have already been made (albeit in a more polite manner). Said points have been dealt with. I would suggest re-reading the thread.

Advertisement