Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of non-religious stamps ffs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Ireland is a Christian Country tough **** if you don't like it. Go somewhere else if a religious holiday offends you so much. Then again you might end up in a Country that won't tolerate your attitude and you'll be back thanking God or whoever that you can whine like a bitch here and have weak and cowardly politicians to pander to your sorry ass.

I believe the OP is offended not by people's celebrating of the holiday of religion, but the fact that a state body is producing material which could be viewed as being non secular (bearing in mind the catholic church no longer has a special place in the constitution, despite the god based rhetoric present in it).

I don't really agree with the OP, christmas is part of the culture in this country, but at least he is able to make points without insulting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

SDooM wrote: »
    I believe the OP is offended not by people's celebrating of the holiday of religion, but the fact that a state body is producing material which could be viewed as being non secular (bearing in mind the catholic church no longer has a special place in the constitution, despite the god based rhetoric present in it).

I don't really agree with the OP, christmas is part of the culture in this country, but at least he is able to make points without insulting people.

Christmas is a Christian Holiday [even though its as all-inclusive as you can get] its celebrating the birth of Jesus ofcourse The Govt of a Christian Country is going to put out Christmas stamps with a Religious aim. One would have to be a complete idiot not to realize that. Trying to cause a scene in a Post Office made him look like one. If he doesn't want Religious stamps he should start stocking up in Nov [earlier if he sends out alot of Christmas cards]

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Christmas is a Christian Holiday [even though its as all-inclusive as you can get] its celebrating the birth of Jesus

You do know that Christianity basically hijacked a Pagan festival to create Christmas? (As has already been stated in this thread)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    You do know that Christianity basically hijacked a Pagan festival to create Christmas?
    Oi, leave facts out of it, please!

Pastafarianism -- putting the FSM back into "Chrifsmas"!

You do know that Christianity basically hijacked a Pagan festival to create Christmas? (As has already been stated in this thread)

Yes I am. Its still the reason Christians celebrate Christmas.

• Advertisement

Christmas is a Christian Holiday [even though its as all-inclusive as you can get] its celebrating the birth of Jesus ofcourse The Govt of a Christian Country is going to put out Christmas stamps with a Religious aim. One would have to be a complete idiot not to realize that. Trying to cause a scene in a Post Office made him look like one. If he doesn't want Religious stamps he should start stocking up in Nov [earlier if he sends out alot of Christmas cards]

1) The special place of the church has been removed since the 70's in the Irish constitution. We are not a "Christian" country.

2) Christmas is based on a pagan festival. You don't hear the pagans in here moaning.

3) Perhaps before slinging around accusations of idiocy, you should research a little.

1) The special place of the church has been removed since the 70's in the Irish constitution. We are not a "Christian" country.

Christianity will always be an influence here. Even in an un-official capacity. I would venture to say the majority of our elected officials are Cathoilics.

2) Christmas is based on a pagan festival. You don't hear the pagans in here moaning.[/QUOTE]

Because the atheists moan for everyone else.

3) Perhaps before slinging around accusations of idiocy, you should research a little.[/QUOTE]

How about actually letting people celebrate Christmas in peace and STFU for a month.

How about actually letting people celebrate Christmas in peace and STFU for a month.

SDoom hasn't had a go at your religion or your holiday. He was just pointing out some facts. I don't see why you are being so belligerent.
    And aren't you the one who came into A&A to say your piece?

Christianity will always be an influence here. Even in an un-official capacity. I would venture to say the majority of our elected officials are Cathoilics.

2) Christmas is based on a pagan festival. You don't hear the pagans in here moaning.

Because the atheists moan for everyone else.

3) Perhaps before slinging around accusations of idiocy, you should research a little.

1) What does that have to do with anything. If the majority of elected officials were thieves, should thievery be legalised?

2) Ad homenen... try arguing the point?

3) I actually agree there's no problem with the stamps. I just don't need to be insulting people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How about you stop acting like an angsty teen. Or you can STFU for a month.

• Advertisement

1) What does that have to do with anything. If the majority of elected officials were thieves, should thievery be legalised?

Nearly the entire population is Catholic. To say their won't be any influences is silly. Guess who works for who?

And that is the dumbest analogy I have ever heard.

Nearly the entire population is Catholic. To say their won't be any influences is silly. Guess who works for who?

And that is the dumbest analogy I have ever heard.

Is it really? Because you don't seem to have argued it, just called it dumb.

Am I correct is saying therefore you do not believe that state and religion should not be seperated? This seems to be your argument here. Because all evidence seems to me this is nearly always a bad thing, and something we've been striving against for several decades.

Bear in mind I agree, on a cultural level, there is no harm in religious art being produced, even if I agree churches should not be funded by the state etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Govt of a Christian Country is going to put out Christmas stamps with a Religious aim. One would have to be a complete idiot not to realize that.

It should be possible to find a happy medium:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7706670.stm
    Do the Snow White stamps offend anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

robinph wrote: »
    It should be possible to find a happy medium:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7706670.stm
    Do the Snow White stamps offend anyone?

But we do offer a choice. Normal or (religious) Christmas ones.

Just don't have non-religious Christmas stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

You can't dispute anything I said so you still go to insults the smallest most insignificant detail. And I thought the atheists were the "intelligent" and "enlightened" group. :rolleyes:

Well, you're certainly not providing any evidence to the contrary.

No-one's bothering to dispute what you've said as every point you've made has been made in the thread already by people who breathe between sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

JohnMc1 wrote:
    Christmas is a Christian Holiday [even though its as all-inclusive as you can get] its celebrating the birth of Jesus ofcourse
    No. Christ-mass is a Catholic mass celebrating the birth of Jesus on the 25th December (for traditional rather than scriptural reasons). The holiday, traditions and other celebration which we have at this time of year are pagan or secular in origin.

And then the Protestants hijacked the Catholic's "Christ Mass", they don't even have mass, how hypocritical of them.

Now if we could only persuade the Catholics to move their celebratory mass to another "random" date (how about some time in September?) then we could all be happy at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Sorry, you are proposing that Christmas should be now celebrated in September because somebody doesn't like religious stamps?

Sorry, you are proposing that Christmas should be now celebrated in September because somebody doesn't like religious stamps?

Welcome to boards. :)

Actually I think he was extracting the michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I get that, I was being somewhat deliberately obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

Stuff like this really does not bother me in the slightest, I like Xmas.

If you are so upset by a book of stamps, how do you react when you have to cross the road:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ireland is (.....) ass.

Terrible when a discussion is going along fine with a bit of banter and humour, and then somebody dumps a big bucket of Mr Angry on top of it.

Ireland is historically a christian country (with a vast amount of legacy paganism), and now we have a number of different persuasions amongst us, I see no reason why we can't all be able to express ourselves as best suits us, be that by religous imagery or otherwise.
    WAAAAH!!! He owned us .

Its 'pwned' and I'm afraid no, you didn't.
    You people only make up less than 1% of the population..

Under 5% at last count, I think. However one of the advantages of living in most developed countries is that the rights of minorities are recognised.

"You people" tends to be a winning line in Bigot Bingo, btw. Not for the 'caller' though.
    You can't dispute anything ..

Hmmmm. Fascinating Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Why not.

All the Catholics could have their mass (only takes a bit more than an hour) on another day, the day itself isn't important, I can't see what difference it would make to them.

Protestants don't celebrate mass, so it's entirely hypocritical of them to partake, after all isn't all this "mixture of tradition and scripture" that the Catholics indulge in one of the main grievances protestants have. And surely the having a mass on the 25th December is tradition in the purest sense.

The rest of it - presents, turkey, trees, santa, lights etc. (all the stuff that Christians like to call "celebrating Christmas" but really isn't anything to do with the mass that Catholics stuck on that day) can continue on at this time of year, but without the religious connotations which have been stuck onto it and are so divisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

pH wrote: »
    Why not.

All the Catholics could have their mass (only takes a bit more than an hour) on another day, the day itself isn't important, I can't see what difference it would make to them.

Protestants don't celebrate mass, so it's entirely hypocritical of them to partake, after all isn't all this "mixture of tradition and scripture" that the Catholics indulge in one of the main grievances protestants have. And surely the having a mass on the 25th December is tradition in the purest sense.

The rest of it - presents, turkey, trees, santa, lights etc. (all the stuff that Christians like to call "celebrating Christmas" but really isn't anything to do with the mass that Catholics stuck on that day) can continue on at this time of year, but without the religious connotations which have been stuck onto it and are so divisive.

What a silly thing to say*

*I can't actually find anything wrong in your post. Very good point.

Christmas in September would make it easier on kids who tend to be starting school at that time... although December Christmas breaks up the aul winter... Can't we have both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

feck op im a non believer but to get pissy about a stamp is definately over reacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Christmas in September would make it easier on kids who tend to be starting school at that time... although December Christmas breaks up the aul winter... Can't we have both?

Why stop at two? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Zamboni wrote: »
    Call me pedantic, call me scrooge

I certainly will.

Goodness gracious me baby jesus on stamps, oh no, this is terrible, ahhhhhh, religion is taking over we're finished,

Really though, can we draw the line somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

And I thought the atheists were the "intelligent" and "enlightened" group. :rolleyes:

Noooooo, don't encourage them:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Cheers and you're spot on.
    I even specifically said I was not offended by the stamp.
    Some have said it was an overreaction but all I did was exchange stamps because I thnk it is inappropriate for religious icons to be on the stamp of a country.
    I didn't brick the window or insult the post clerk.
    I think there are far more serious things to highlight but I did think it warranted a mention and I still do.

Merry xmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Today I had to buy stamps and was given Catholic ones. I couldn't help but feel mildly annoyed, so I asked "have you any other ones?" and I was given normal ones without question.

Advertisement