Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any chance of non-religious stamps ffs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

The ones with the darling little robins on them :rolleyes: haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Actually giving out about stamps because baby jesus is on them, to me represents the sort of fanaticism I dislike in religion so much. Personally, I like being a non-theist because I don't have to worry about other people's ideologies offending my own because I don't really have one.

Man giving out about baby jesus on stamps = muslims going mad over cartoons of mohammed? Ok not really a valid comparison all, but they're both indicative of blowing something completely trivial out of proportion in the name of belief or lackthereof. At least it looks that way to me.

I'm starting to think the Southpark envisioned future of the Athiest factions warring over what to call themselves might be plausible!
    I'm not trying to damn the OP, he has a right to complain about whatever he wants. I just think the motive behind it is a little worrisome.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Really, you can only but laugh away the intolerance. Very amusing :D

you're a disgrace, you had the guild to accuse me of trolling the other day,
    and you know accuse someone else of being intolerent.

If I have to buy a stamp now to send a letter, and IF I haven't "hoarded" non religious stamp I am forced to buy something with a religious print on it.

I honestly can't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Zamboni wrote: »
    I bought a book of stamps in my local post office today and walking up the road I opened them to find baby jesus wriggling in his nest on each of them. :rolleyes:
    I had to go back and ask did they have any others.
    'But they're Christmas stamps' said the Post Office Teller. I said 'Great, any chance of a few snowmen instead?' No, they're the only ones we have other than the normal stamps.
    So I got a book of normal stamps and said 'It's a disgrace they're still putting religious icons on the stamps of this state'. She said we were Catholic country. I said, we were as in past tense and walked out.

Call me pedantic, call me scrooge but what a crock of s**t that they still do this. Surely they could just use non-religious christmas stamps with snowmen, snow landscape, polar bears drinking coke etc.?

This type of thing makes me want to attend this Atheist Assoc thingy tomorrow.
    You are ridiculous. Christmas is a Christian holiday by definition; what you are calling for are merely winter themed stamps and stamps celebrating capitalism (bears drinking Coke). Next year stock up in advance on the stamps with birds on them if it bothers you so much.
    I am intolerant that a modern state where I pay taxes produces relgious art on a stamp.
    You find that laughable. Good for you.
    I don't. Its a symptom (albeit a small one) of the archaic hold that an idiotic religion has on this country.
    The National Gallery, a state funded institution, also contains a lot of religious art. Should it be removed too?

The fact is, whether Ireland is especially Catholic anymore or not, Christmas is part of our national culture. The idea of an Irish culture is an assumption that the existence of the state itself depends on; thus the state is compelled to recognise this culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Mayordenis, I had a softly spoken word with you via PM a number of days ago - this related to your behavior on a couple of completely unrelated threads in a different forum. During the course of this correspondence, I never accused you of trolling - instead, I made a not unreasonable request of you. Other than what I imagine to be a sizable a chip on your shoulder, I can't imagine why you are airing your grievances here and now. And if, during our off forum discourse, you feel that I have acted inappropriately, please PM me or take it to feedback. On the other hand, if you believe that my contribution to this thread has breached the charter or been in general bad taste, report the post. You're a mod, you should know these things. Sorry for going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Why does the glue on stamps taste magically delicious? Power of Christ or just a compound of tasty chemicals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SilkySmooth

I bought a book of stamps in my local post office today and walking up the road I opened them to find baby jesus wriggling in his nest on each of them. :rolleyes:
    I had to go back and ask did they have any others.
    'But they're Christmas stamps' said the Post Office Teller. I said 'Great, any chance of a few snowmen instead?' No, they're the only ones we have other than the normal stamps.
    So I got a book of normal stamps and said 'It's a disgrace they're still putting religious icons on the stamps of this state'. She said we were Catholic country. I said, we were as in past tense and walked out.

Call me pedantic, call me scrooge but what a crock of s**t that they still do this. Surely they could just use non-religious christmas stamps with snowmen, snow landscape, polar bears drinking coke etc.?

This type of thing makes me want to attend this Atheist Assoc thingy tomorrow.

Yeah, the terrible, terrible injustice of it all.;)
    Come on, their stamps. nobody is forcing their religion on you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It seems opinions are very divided on this one!

Let's all address the posts and not the posters and nobody will get hurt. And by hurt I mean modded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

So I'm a ridiculous fanatic for exchanging stamps :rolleyes: Get a grip.
    I'm hardly burning down churches or attacking priests.

There is nothing wrong with the fact that Ireland has a christian past and that it played a part in our culture. Sure I'm going to Handels Messiah tonight because I can appreciate art/music irrelevant of its origin.
    The simple point is, the state should not produce it on a stamp - which is a representation of Ireland throughout the world.
    A christian stamp does not represent the state.

So I'm a ridiculous fanatic for exchanging stamps :rolleyes:
    But you were able to exchange stamps?

So the issue is that you were offered a Christmas one first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The simple point is, the state should not produce it on a stamp - which is a representation of Ireland throughout the world.

But people get to choose as to which stamp to send.

Your letters won't have one on them , and that is your right and the way it should be.

But if I want them on my letters , should I not be allowed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Vast majority of the Country have some affiliation to a religion of some kind long may the tradition continue. Why do you refer to this time of year as Christmas? surely it should be the Holidays? And Boxing day (Horrible term).

jhegarty wrote: »
    But if I want them on my letters , should I not be allowed ?

Not at the expense of non-religious taxpayers (I believe is the point).

Do stamps cost the taxpayer? :confused:

Wouldn't the price of printing stamps not be factored into the value (cost) of the stamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Dades wrote: »
    Do stamps cost the taxpayer? :confused:

Wouldn't the price of printing stamps not be factored into the value (cost) of the stamp?

That's my take on it. I would be more annoyed if I was paying for religious stamps, but only people who actually buy them are contributing.

That's my take on it. I would be more annoyed if I was paying for religious stamps, but only people who actually buy them are contributing.

Well then, so long as we can chose which stamps we get i see no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 carlrac

So you get all worked up about having harmless traditional (read: not purely religious) pictures on stamps, yet you would prefer to promote a huge company's advertisement instead?

Maybe i'm just trolling here, but doesn't that seem a little silly? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Galvasean wrote: »
    Not at the expense of non-religious taxpayers (I believe is the point).

Do they cost more to produce than the bird stamps ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    Do they cost more to produce than the bird stamps ?

Making a new line of stamps would cost extra (regardless of what said new line has as the picture).
    However it has been pointed out to me that An Post are not government (and thereby taxpayer) funded. In that respect they can make the religious ones all they want so long as the bird ones are still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well then, so long as we can chose which stamps we get i see no problem.

Yep. Case settled, it seems to me.

• Advertisement

This could be a first for A&A!

However it has been pointed out to me that An Post are not government (and thereby taxpayer) funded. In that respect they can make the religious ones all they want so long as the bird ones are still available.

The company is a limited liability company, incorporated under the Companies Act, 1963 to 1983. Under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983, the Company is entitled to omit the word - 'Limited’ from its name.

One ordinary share is held by the Minister for Finance and the remainder of the issued share capital is held by the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.

Taken from http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/About+An+Post/An+Post+at+a+glance/

Interesting.

So going on the basis of the last Annual Report, the operating profit of €29.1m remains in the hands of the government. Which suggests is that not only do Baby Jesus stamps not cost the taxpayer a cent, but that their popularity may be in fact be contributing to the public coffers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The company is a limited liability company, incorporated under the Companies Act, 1963 to 1983. Under the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act, 1983, the Company is entitled to omit the word - 'Limited’ from its name.

One ordinary share is held by the Minister for Finance and the remainder of the issued share capital is held by the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources.

Taken from http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/About+An+Post/An+Post+at+a+glance/
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58079617&postcount=15

Dades wrote: »
    Interesting.

So going on the basis of the last Annual Report, the operating profit of €29.1m remains in the hands of the government. Which suggests is that not only do Baby Jesus stamps not cost the taxpayer a cent, but that their popularity may be in fact be contributing to the public coffers!

LOL

By the looks of it there has been nativity scenes every poxy xmas right the way back!

Jaysus sells, who'd a guessed?

I still say a couple of robins or something would be better than favouring christianity over everyone else in the country.

I'm going to take the positive out of all this though...
    Think of all the post going to Islamic countries with Jaysus wriggling in his nest on them :D

Thanks but I prefer the way An Post says it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I would be more annoyed if I was paying for religious stamps, but only people who actually buy them are contributing.

I bought some stamps yesterday and was delighted to get baby jesus, mainly because I thought of Zamboni. But I've started to feel very guilty. I realised that I'm directly financing and supporting the oppression of the catholic church, perpetuating their strangle-hold on all that is good and honest in this country. I feel so dirty.

I found a stamp we can all enjoy!

happy-holidays-card-flying-spaghetti-monster.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah, who or what would a&a put on a stamp, we could suggest it to an post, is there a site with all present stamps im sure they might have ones to certain famous irish figures already,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Off-topic, sorry.

A friend of mine who grew up in Tokyo told me about a Japanese Christmas decoration she saw when she was a kid - it was Santa Claus on a crucifix.
    Did she now...

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/cross.asp

Advertisement