Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles with long battery life

• 29-11-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm looking for a mobile with long battery life, after all the high tech stuff and terrible battery life, I'm quite happy to go simple again.

Any suggestions most welcome, brand not important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

was just about to start this thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have always had Nokia's but recently got a SE C902. Use it most days at work for the radio and more and I can get 5 days out of the battery. Pretty impressive in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I have always had Nokia's but recently got a SE C902. Use it most days at work for the radio and more and I can get 5 days out of the battery. Pretty impressive in my book.

but of course there's a bug in the java software on the phone as you know ;)

i find don't ericssons last a lot longer than nokias in general.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i agree, se's are excellent for battery, i had a w800 that lasted over 3 days with one charge, i got a nokia 6300 and it lasted less than a day same usage, on a blackberry 8300 now, similar life to se

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

The Nokia 2630 lasts about a week without a charge for me. Has a crap camera, crap screen, almost no memory (11 MB), but is very slim, has all the basic functions and excelent battery life. Any phone that is more powerful than that will certainly have worse battery life...

• Advertisement

blaz wrote: »
    The Nokia 2630 lasts about a week without a charge for me. Has a crap camera, crap screen, almost no memory (11 MB), but is very slim, has all the basic functions and excelent battery life. Any phone that is more powerful than that will certainly have worse battery life...

it's true that very basic nokias have a good battery life but i have a k800i that has a 3.2 megapixel camera, bluetooth, IR, a radio and a memory card and it lasts about 4 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it's true that very basic nokias have a good battery life but i have a k800i that has a 3.2 megapixel camera, bluetooth, IR, a radio and a memory card and it lasts about 4 days

I have noticed that a lot depends on how you define "4 days". My Nokia E65 can last 5 days, but I set it to offline mode during the night and I have 3G disabled (Meteor's 3G coverage even here in Dublin is laughable). If I enable 3G and leave the phone on during the night, then it barely survives 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

My interest would be in

long battery life nokia with enough memory whatever for cabbage to run fast on java

I'm a newb can you guess?

blaz wrote: »
    I have noticed that a lot depends on how you define "4 days". My Nokia E65 can last 5 days, but I set it to offline mode during the night and I have 3G disabled (Meteor's 3G coverage even here in Dublin is laughable). If I enable 3G and leave the phone on during the night, then it barely survives 2 days.

well it last 4 days with a lot of calls and texts and 3g on. with my e65 i'd carry around a secon battery in my pocket because it'd rarely last a full day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lone

but of course there's a bug in the java software on the phone as you know ;)

i find don't ericssons last a lot longer than nokias in general.

Thanks for the replies, what's the bug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

E61 or E71 -
    check www.gsmarena.com out. They have a phone finder with battery life as a filter.

Lone wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, what's the bug?

it's a small thing. it has trouble handling threads in java programs. well it did with a program i wrote anyway, i might just have written it wrong but the same program works on loads of other phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

se w810i for 2 years now 4-5 days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Personally have a K800 for over 2 years now and the battery life is still great, at least 3-4 days per charge... had a n80 and 95 and found the battery life disgraceful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

well it last 4 days with a lot of calls and texts and 3g on. with my e65 i'd carry around a secon battery in my pocket because it'd rarely last a full day

I also carry around a spare battery for my N95, it is way easier that a charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

greatgoal wrote: »
    se w810i for 2 years now 4-5 days at least.

Same here its a great phone.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone but not sure I could live with the battery life, even though I could recharge it in the car, or office easily enough. I hate having to do it often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BostonB wrote: »
    Same here its a great phone.

I was thinking of getting an iPhone but not sure I could live with the battery life, even though I could recharge it in the car, or office easily enough. I hate having to do it often.

I've an iPhone 3G and the last time it saw itself plugged into a wall/computer was about 3 days ago and the battery bar is still 3/4 full. The trick is just to turn WiFi off ;)

I've done a fair amount of texting but only had 1 call (to voicemail).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats good to know. I'm not a big user. Mainly use texts, and then mainly from the computer when I'm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

6310i lasts for a week!! It can take a licking and keeps on ticking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Was getting a full week out of my K750i, mind you not many calls, a bit of music, a few photos. Only trouble is the joystick started sticking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

why is this such an important subject to people?

If it needs a charge, charge it. If you use it a lot for work and you are on the road, get a car charger, they are very cheap. Is it a case you are away from your charger for more than 48 hours? Well, get an emergency charger that takes a disposable battery.

As far as I'm concerned, if the battery is lasting less than a few hours, then it's a problem but if it's lasting 24 or more it's working fine because the simple solution is to plug it in and charge it up again. How difficult is that to do?

ok. lets say you pay a lot for a phone.
    you get all these amazing features.
    you can never take the phone outside of the house because, what's that? oh that's right you can't show off or use the features because it'll have no battery.
    after paying a fortune (which many do) for a new phone, EVERYTHING should be satisfactory, not just the way it looks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Get a sony ericsson W910i excellent battery....

metalfest wrote: »
    ok. lets say you pay a lot for a phone.
    you get all these amazing features.
    you can never take the phone outside of the house because, what's that? oh that's right you can't show off or use the features because it'll have no battery.
    after paying a fortune (which many do) for a new phone, EVERYTHING should be satisfactory, not just the way it looks!

Regarding your first point, why not charge your phone before leaving the house. I imagine you won't be away for longer than 24 hours, but if you are, why not take your charger with you? Furthermore, if your phone is dying within a couple of hours of charging it, it is most likely faulty.

You simply cannot demand all the features in the world and expect the same performance from a limited technology. battery development has come on so much that our mobile phones no longer need to be the size of a laptop, however, barring the resolution of perpetual motion, further development will be in smaller and smaller steps.

Poor performance can often be down to how the user treats the device. I would ask you to honestly tell me the last time you read the instructions from the manufacturer on how to treat your battery to ensure its best possible performance.

Sony Ericsson perform differently to other devices as they use a different technology in their batteries.

some phones don't last 24 hours.
    why should you have to take a charger with you?

this thread is to tell people about phones WITH lasting batteries.
    the OP obviously thinks battery life IS important,
    so go start your own thread titled "I think phone battery life is unimportant"
    and there you go, have fun, bye

Well, I charged my Curve a week ago and it's still at 85%, how is that? Well, It's in flight mode and I haven't used it.

My Pearl was charged two days ago and is at 35%, and I've only used it for a couple of emails and a bit of video (an episode of The Big Bang Theory).

My E51 has had to be charged three times in the last 5 days. I use it for sending my texts, emails and several hours of phone calls and several hours of Internet, including WiFi and some bluetooth usage.

My point is your battery life is down to how you use your phone.

The only phone I would certainly recommend against if battery life is that important to you is the Nokia 6300.

If you want a featureless phone, get a Samsung M600 but I can't vouch for the battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,466 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the nokia N85 has a brilliant battery because of the new type of screen

the nokia N85 has a brilliant battery because of the new type of screen

serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,466 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

metalfest wrote: »
    serious?

yap

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/The_Nokia_N85_and_OLED_screens_Not_perhaps_the_Holy_Grail.php
    The N85 is the very first S60 phone to feature an OLED screen. That is, one where the dots light themselves rather than have to be lit by a power-hungry backlight.

Here's what Rafe put together a couple of weeks ago:

OLED, also known as LEP (light emitting polymer), is a screen made up of small dots of organic polymers that, when charged with electricity, emit light. The advantage of OLED displays are that they are generally brighter, have a better colour gamut (numbers of colours that can be accurately displayed at same time), have better contrast ratio, have a better response time, have better viewing angles and use less power. In contrast to traditional TFT LCD displays they do not require a back light.

AM OLED is a technology that combines the active matrix back plane, from a traditional TFT screen, with an OLED display. AM OLED displays, because of their active matrix nature, are quicker to switch pixels and thus give better performance for fast moving, on-screen changes such as animation and video.

What this means is that the N85's screen, compared to earlier Nseries devices, will have:

o Reduced power consumption. In normal uses cases AM OLED requires 30-40% less power than a LCD screen. The power used is related to what is shown on the screen - the darker the screen the less power is used, conversely a predominantly white screen will use more power.
    o A better contrast ratio (ratio of the luminance of the brightest color, white, to that of the darkest color, black). Roughly 1:1300 compared to 1:500. Black is truly black on an AM OLED screen as there is no back-light and therefore no 'light-leakage'.
    o A better viewing angle - around 180°.
    o A greater number of different colours on the screen at one time.
    o A brighter screen for the same amount of power.

• Advertisement

unreal!!!!thanks

Advertisement