Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 92 - this'll get ya in the mood!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Cannot wait. I want xmas day outta the way so I can look forward to this properly!

Forrest and Rampage to win, and MIR to get the title wagon moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This is going to be one sweet night of MMA action. I cannot wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I was looking forward to this before,but after watching that video, the 27th cant come soon enough!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Man I can't wait.:D
    Griffin/Mir/Silva.

I don't know why, but I really get the feeling that Nog vs Mir will be the most exciting.
    I can see a 5 round war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think this is the only place on the internet where it is okay to say you are looking forward to seeing the Forrest Vs Rashad fight.

Personally i can't wait. I, much like a lot of people, like Forrest. He has continued to improve and improve, has taken his knocks and come back from them and consistantly rises to the level he needs to fight at to beat who is infront of him. He has a gastank for 5 rounds and will make each of those a war.

Rashad i used to dislike, quite a bit. However, he has toned down the antics and brought his game up, the guy finishes fights and he does it well. I genuinely think Evans is turning into another class of fighter. This will be a great fight.

Edit Karmafaerie, nice Serenity reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Big Nog>Mir,standing or on the ground.Its gonna be a hard night for Mir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

commence drooling! Evans Mir Silva

I don't see Mir having any chance at all Tbh.

Nog has better:

Cardio
    JiuJitsu
    Boxing
    Chin
    Heart

Mir has better:

high jump
    sprint times

I know who i pick to win a fight.

I'm most excited about Silva - Rampage. I hope Forrest beats the shit outta Rashad. I think he could well wear him down over 5 rounds. Rashad has faded over long fights in the past whereas Forrest is a Duracell Bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I don't see Mir having any chance at all Tbh.

Nog has better:

Cardio
    JiuJitsu
    Boxing
    Chin
    Heart

Mir has better:

high jump
    sprint times

I know who i pick to win a fight.

I'm most excited about Silva - Rampage. I hope Forrest beats the shit outta Rashad. I think he could well wear him down over 5 rounds. Rashad has faded over long fights in the past whereas Forrest is a Duracell Bunny.

I agree with that, people have not seen Nog fight in Pride and dont really know how good he is. He has had 5 or 6 fights where he was being utterly destroyed and managed to pull them out of the bag. I love the guy, he never gives in. He will beat Frank Mir. I have always got the impression Mir is a fat slob, maybe I am being cruel cause of his motorbike accident, but there is no way Mir is beating Nogeira.

No love for Mir.

What Frank has is belief, natural abiity, and one of the best finishing instincts in the UFC.
    He's not a nice guy plain and simple.
    He goes into the cage looking to snap.
    And there's a reason why his favorite expression is about breaking arms.

Nog is a legend, but I give Mir a hell of a chance.

Frank has better standup.
    Both guys have no real wrestling pedigree.
    Nog has stronger Jitsu.

Thing is though, Mir has good enough Jujitsu to not get tapped out by Nog, under MMA rules.
    Nog will never dominate him on the ground, like Mir might on his feet, and they'll wrestle each other to a standpoint.

And lets not forget people.

Fat Frank...

330919kt.jpg

...is a thing of the past.

17-FrankMir.jpg

P.S: What a show Dragan.

• Advertisement

What Frank has is belief, natural abiity, and one of the best finishing instincts in the UFC.

I think Nog possesses all of these things as much, if not more than Mir.
    Frank has better standup.
    Both guys have no real wrestling pedigree.
    Nog has stronger Jitsu.

Dunno what you base the idea of Mir having better stand up on. The only time I've seen Mir do anything of note on his feet was his KO of Wes Sims.

Nog on the other hand, hung in there standing with a prime Crocop (yes he took a beating but he didn't get put away), dropped Werdum and dominated the stand up there, was outboxing Tim Sylvia after weathering the storm of round one, landing crisper jabs and slipping Sylvias punches. Bar getting dropped by that kick from Heath Herring he dominated him both standing and on the ground. Nog's boxing is slick. He's not likely to KO Mir on the feet but I think he will outwork him and force Mir into pulling guard through pressure.
    Thing is though, Mir has good enough Jujitsu to not get tapped out by Nog, under MMA rules.
    Nog will never dominate him on the ground, like Mir might on his feet, and they'll wrestle each other to a standpoint.

I agree Mir's Jits is good enough to avoid the sub. But Nog controlled Werdum on the ground when they fought and Werdum is one of the most decorated HW grapplers around.

If you look at who Mir has tapped or controlled on the ground: Tank Abbott, Pete Williams, Tim Sylvia, Brock Lesnar, Wes Sims and Antoni Hardonk, it's hardly a who's who of Abu Dhabi elite grapplers.

Nog on the other hand has either subbed or controlled the following: Werdum, Barnett, Nastula, Heath Herring (3 times), Kharitonov, Henderson, Crocop, Sapp, Inoue, Valentijn Overeem (twice), Goodridge, Coleman, Sylvia.

Now if you look at what happened when Mir faced an elite level grappler in Pe de Pano, he got crucified. I just think that when Mir faces off against a really top level BJJ player, his game is a bit too open and he'll end up in bad positions.

I'm not entirely counting Mir out, everyone has a chance, it's a fight after all, but I know I'd be betting any money I bet, on Nog. I think the factors at play, the percentages and the statistics all point to a Nog win personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think Nog possesses all of these things as much, if not more than Mir.

Dunno what you base the idea of Mir having better stand up on. The only time I've seen Mir do anything of note on his feet was his KO of Wes Sims.

Nog on the other hand, hung in there standing with a prime Crocop (yes he took a beating but he didn't get put away), dropped Werdum and dominated the stand up there, was outboxing Tim Sylvia after weathering the storm of round one, landing crisper jabs and slipping Sylvias punches. Bar getting dropped by that kick from Heath Herring he dominated him both standing and on the ground. Nog's boxing is slick. He's not likely to KO Mir on the feet but I think he will outwork him and force Mir into pulling guard through pressure.

I agree Mir's Jits is good enough to avoid the sub. But Nog controlled Werdum on the ground when they fought and Werdum is one of the most decorated HW grapplers around.

If you look at who Mir has tapped or controlled on the ground: Tank Abbott, Pete Williams, Tim Sylvia, Brock Lesnar, Wes Sims and Antoni Hardonk, it's hardly a who's who of Abu Dhabi elite grapplers.

Nog on the other hand has either subbed or controlled the following: Werdum, Barnett, Nastula, Heath Herring (3 times), Kharitonov, Henderson, Crocop, Sapp, Inoue, Valentijn Overeem (twice), Goodridge, Coleman, Sylvia.

Now if you look at what happened when Mir faced an elite level grappler in Pe de Pano, he got crucified. I just think that when Mir faces off against a really top level BJJ player, his game is a bit too open and he'll end up in bad positions.

I'm not entirely counting Mir out, everyone has a chance, it's a fight after all, but I know I'd be betting any money I bet, on Nog. I think the factors at play, the percentages and the statistics all point to a Nog win personally.

Ok fellas, here my take - now some would say I'm biased......

Nogueira is absolutely a legend. He has amazing jiu jitsu, tons of heart and an iron chin. I have seen almost all his fights, and his ability to take punishment is crazy. He has to be the betting favourite for this no question - BUT - In my opinion Frank Mir gets an awful lot of undeserved stick.

1. He has no cardio - a valid point no doubt, but in general his aggressiveness in going for subs takes a lot out of him, and in many cases his submissions end the fight before fitness becomes a factor.

2. He " breaks arms " - it is a fight after all, and when he broke Sylvia's arm, (a) Sylvia wasn't tapping so should he have let go for fear of injury and (b) Tim was steroided up - no real sportmanship from his side either.

3. He was destroyed by Vera, and Pe De Pano and dreadful against Dan Christiansen - again, maybe merited criticism, but he was coming back from a bike crash that threatened his ability to walk, let alone get back fighting in ( arguably at the time ) the premier MMA organisation - no mean feat, win or lose.

4. He is overrated - said for years and years, he won the UFC gold, never lost it in the cage, tapped out the current champ in under two mins. I remember when he fought Sylvia, almost EVERYONE in internet land was giving him no chance at all, and yet he won in under a minute.

5. He is not a nice guy - I met him and thought he was. Are we judging him on a TV show? On his talk the fight up persona? Does anyone really know?

Personally, I would agree many factors point to Nog, but to a far lesser degree than with Serra - St Pierre I and Cro Cop v Gonzaga. And I have a slight fancy that Mir will submit Nog on the 27th ( all the toughness in the world won't stop you being choked ) - and I'll have to change my user name if he doesnt.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Nogueira is absolutely a legend. He has amazing jiu jitsu, tons of heart and an iron chin. I have seen almost all his fights, and his ability to take punishment is crazy. He has to be the betting favourite for this no question - BUT - In my opinion Frank Mir gets an awful lot of undeserved stick.

1. He has no cardio - a valid point no doubt, but in general his aggressiveness in going for subs takes a lot out of him, and in many cases his submissions end the fight before fitness becomes a factor.

2. He " breaks arms " - it is a fight after all, and when he broke Sylvia's arm, (a) Sylvia wasn't tapping so should he have let go for fear of injury and (b) Tim was steroided up - no real sportmanship from his side either.

3. He was destroyed by Vera, and Pe De Pano and dreadful against Dan Christiansen - again, maybe merited criticism, but he was coming back from a bike crash that threatened his ability to walk, let alone get back fighting in ( arguably at the time ) the premier MMA organisation - no mean feat, win or lose.

4. He is overrated - said for years and years, he won the UFC gold, never lost it in the cage, tapped out the current champ in under two mins. I remember when he fought Sylvia, almost EVERYONE in internet land was giving him no chance at all, and yet he won in under a minute.

5. He is not a nice guy - I met him and thought he was. Are we judging him on a TV show? On his talk the fight up persona? Does anyone really know?

Personally, I would agree many factors point to Nog, but to a far lesser degree than with Serra - St Pierre I and Cro Cop v Gonzaga. And I have a slight fancy that Mir will submit Nog on the 27th ( all the toughness in the world won't stop you being choked ) - and I'll have to change my user name if he doesnt.
    ;)

Good post.

For me though Mir winning will be a huge upset. In theory Nog has better standup and better ground game. Anything can happen in a fight as we all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think Mir Vs Nog will be a good fight, i think if it hits the ground it will be an absolute clinic in what the big weight class can do on the ground.

Mir is dangerous, he can pull a sub from nowhere ( Pete Williams anyone? ) but Nog has been through war after war after war and always kept the element of composure that keeps him in there and working to win.

I honestly don't see Mir being able to bring the type of long protracted war the Nog is so good at fighting and winning, i do however see Mir being able to pull a rabbit out of the hat with a quick sub.

That said, I like Nog for this.

For Page Vs Silva i am taking Wandy. Why? Because the other times they fought were simply too decisive. Page is a better fighter now, no doubt, but i don't think he has improved where he needs to enough to survive what Wandy is going to throw at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Dragan wrote: »
    For Page Vs Silva i am taking Wandy. Why? Because the other times they fought were simply too decisive. Page is a better fighter now, no doubt, but i don't think he has improved where he needs to enough to survive what Wandy is going to throw at him.

27th Dec is my birthday. To make up for all the years of receiving combined presents for Xmas and Birthday, i want to see a trucking war in this one with Wandy winning through referees stoppage due to blood loss.

I'm reffering more to how he uses his standup.
    Nog rarely does anything with it.
    Against Crocop he survived, but wasn't able to use the standup to take him down efficiently
    Same with Silva.
    He had to pull guard.
    Nog seems out of place on his feet.
    Mir is no Roy Jones Junior, but heha used his striking to help him bring the fight down more succesfully.

I'm sorry here, but the Frank Mir from his three return fights, is not the Frank Mir of old, or IMO the Frank Mir of now.
    He publically admitts that he wasn't a "fighter" back then.
    And agrees that his wife was right to call him a pussy.
    Mir at his top is right to be embarrassed by those "performances", and the fact that he has gotten himself in such great shape compared to them says a lot.

Oh, I've no doubth that Nog's the favorite, and with good reason.
    I can just see things falling Mirs way personally.

;)

I meant not a nice guy in the ring.
    I don't know Mir from Adam, but one the cage door shuts he's fully intent on doing whatever it takes to finish.
    And that goes for his coaching too.
    I've noticed his aggressive in ring style switches from fighter to coach fairly easy.

Mir is a very underated fighter IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I agree with Wandy's prediction for the Rampage fight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laletra/3073745353/sizes/o/

Advertisement