Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do? Buying a 2 wheeler

• 29-11-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Help please there's just so many options I don't even know where to go.

I am basically sick to the teeth of Dublin City traffic and parking charges. My job requires me to make site visits to customers through out the day. I live about 4 miles from the City centre and need to commute into town and the move from 2-3 sites per day. I have to wear a suit so I've been taking the car recently but's its a joke and waste of time and don't even talk to me about buses.

So, I've decided to get a bike / scotter / moped. I've a full M license from my B license and I've just started getting stuff together for my A license. But what do I do?

I'm not a speed freak and quite traffic aware (driving 14+ years and completed numerous Advanced Driving Course - for cars) but equally I know nothing about bikes. Would a 49cc (for M class) do as a commute? Should I pursue my A license? (I'm not 'into' bikes). If going the A license route I would plan on getting some professional training first. But is the A overkill?

If an M class would suit, can you recommend me something? I'd imagine I would be doing about 60-80 miles / week. If not recommend a bike? Or a 200cc scooter.

It's easier to buy a car! :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Ah don't get a moped! Get a bike. Even a small 125 or 250. They're much more enjoyable to ride. Tho, if it is strictly city centre riding, it might not make much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If your only doing 60-80 miles a week the scooter be grand. Your stuck to 50cc though on the M license. As you said your not into bikes so go for the scooter. You'll be surprised how you will change your mind about bikes after a while and probably want to trade up to a 125 or a 250 and go for sunday spins haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

The max speed of a category M vehicle is 45 km/h. So if it's all city center commuting with no open roads, then that's probably enough. But if you're on any roads where the cars get up to 60km/h or more, it can be frightning on a moped as cars are driving right up your ass and trying to overtake you dangerously.

I'd seriously think of going down the A licence route, even if it's only to allow you drive something like a Honda Lead (100 cc scooter). If you were to do the test on this bike, you'd get an A1 licence (allows up to 125 cc only) and further restricted to automatic bikes. Alternativly, get something like a Yamaha YBR 125 or Honda CG 125 and learn to drive a geared bike. Get lessons, and borrow a 250cc bike to do the test, and you've got an A licence. Much more flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It really depends on what roads you'll be driving on. If your going to doing a lot of motorway/dual carriage way work a moped will drive you mad very quickly.

I'd advise you to get professional training regardless of what type of bike you go for. But if you go for an A licence you can always move on to bigger and better bikes when you realise how much fun they are:D

The bike you can drive on your licence is a Moped, which is restriced to 45km/h and has to be less then 49cc. These have tiny wheels, bad ride quality, and you'll find your self getting bullied by cars if you go onto any decent roads.

If you need to wear a suit I'd recommend the big step thoughts like the Suzuki Burgman or get a proper bike with good panniers/top box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive a YBR125, great bike for getting around town. Its not a fast bike at full pelt, but its more than enough for getting too and from work and around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Thanks for all the replies folks.

So a 125 or 250 geared then. For the A test does it need to be minimum size bike? i.e. could I do the A test on a 125? (probably a noob question I know)

Re the types of bikes a YBR125 is recommened, anytyhing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,574 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do a search here, theres a good few recent threads that explain the whole A vs A1 licence debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

jayok wrote: »

So a 125 or 250 geared then. For the A test does it need to be minimum size bike? i.e. could I do the A test on a 125? (probably a noob question I know)

To do the full A test, you need a bike with more than 125cc. If you do it on a bike of 125cc or less you only get the A1 licence which will only allow you ride bikes up to 125cc

You'd maybe be better off getting a 250/400 as you could get sick of the lack of power from a 125.

AFAIK you have to do the A test on a bike over 150cc. But your best bet would be to get some lessons 1st on a proper bike, usually 250cc, and see how you get on. Then you can hire a school bike for your test and get an A licence and buy yourself what ever you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I say it all of the time but a Honda Innova as a starter bike is great...semi-manual gears let you get used to the actual bike and it's dynamics first before messing around with a clutch.

Plus you get about 90 miles to a 4 litre tank of petrol (I own one so I know!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ok so a 250cc bike with gears. I was looking at the www.mrtg.ie as a training school, they seem ok. I'll book a school bike and see how I get on.

Re the Honda Innova I assume being semi-automatic it won't do for the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

have a look at Aaron Rider Training (i've used them and can recommend) - pop over to biker.ie and you'll get an additional 10% discount.

if you're not into biking and have to do site visits etc then a big scooter (storage for helmet under seat/ back box for laptop etc ) may prove invaluable.

Ok so a 250cc bike with gears. I was looking at the www.mrtg.ie as a training school, they seem ok. I'll book a school bike and see how I get on.

Dave Lyons from the list of schools you provided is very good, he's the Wicklow option, and he has school bikes in Rathgar in Dublin.
    Re the Honda Innova I assume being semi-automatic it won't do for the test?

The bike is too small for the test and you'd also be restricted to semi auto bikes. Don't worry about the test when buying your bike, get something you like and suits your needs. You can always hire a bike for the test.

Advertisement