Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boffer & Boards.ie Competition

• 29-11-2008 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Just got this from Lauren at Boffer.
    In conjunction with Boards.ie we are looking for 10 reviewers to test a top of the range speaker system / iPod / MP3 dock.

Boffer will provide 10 of the said sound systems which have an MRP of £79.99 (you can keep it afterwards) I would like the lucky members who are chosen to do the following.

1. Do some research on the product

2. Get their sample and test it and write a review on it, perhaps make a video, sing a song whatever you likelier you decide the format of the review.

3. Decide what price boffer should sell it for on their site for it to be construed as an awesome bargain. (Click here to see typical Boffer retail prices)

So there you have it 10 of you get to choose the price for a boffer In return you get a top of the range speaker system / iPod / MP3 dock for free.

I think we should get a few people who want to take part in the review.

To help us decide who we choose to be a reviewer please post to this thread with the reasons why we should choose you over someone else and why your review will be better then anyone else’s.

To enter the competition you need to be a Boffer member and a Boards.ie member. Please post to this thread with

1. Your boffer user name
    2. Your Boards.ie user name
    3. Why you we should choose you over anyone else.

If you are not yet a Boards.ie member please click here to join.

If you are not yet a Boffer member please click here to join.

Lauren x

PS: The Boffer "free boff" the sell off where everything is free starts this Sunday at 23:59
    Clicky

If anyone is interested, please post here with the criteria required.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'll have a go.

It would be my first go at something like this, not an audiophile by any means, so there would be little or no technical speak just the impression of the man on the street, for other men on the street. As for pricing I am a student so well aware of what constitutes a bargain! Also as a student I do not have a docking station for my ipod and this is by far the best bargain around in terms of acquiring one!

Boards name: bigkev49
    boffer: bigkev49.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I'll have a go to, from a technical point of view I can give the item a good workout and I am not a fanboi so you can be sure the review will be honest and forthright.

boards: munstercycling

boffer: munsterfan

MC

see my sig

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

user name on both : copacetic.

currently have 3G iphone, 2G nano and an Ipod classic, so plenty of units test out in the dock.
    Also have a sony clock radio with iphone dock to compare against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

<
    borads.ie user name......Randi
    Buffer.co.uk....magicwiccan

I work in sales and marketing, I the best way to sell an item and how much people would be willing to pay for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

username on both: jmccrohan

Big music and tech fan from a young age. I remember getting a minidisc player for christmas back in the days before mp3 players.:pac:

I know good quality speakers when I hear them. I would like to be given the chance to test boffer's speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

boffer username: clacks
    boards.ie username : cahirhennessy

Well, I'm a certified techno freak. I'd to try out out with my zune,cowon, htc, touch diamond and blah, blah, blah. Always wanted to try my hand at a (possibly waffling) review. Count me in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

1. Your boffer user name neonitrix
    2. Your Boards.ie user name neonitrix
    3. Why you we should choose you over anyone else. because i know a secret that will destroy the whole world

its about a big fat man with a beard and reindeer.

Neonitrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

Als in boards
    Als in Boffer

Sound judgement
    honest
    GOOD LOOKING ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ALS wrote: »
    Als in boards
    Als in Boffer

Sound judgement
    honest
    GOOD LOOKING ???

Definitely a winner in a speaker review. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Boards name - TPD
    Boffer name - TPD

I have an iPod, and have access to an iPhone, iPod nano and iPod shuffle, along with other mp3 players from creative etc.

Most of the music in my collection is quite high quality, and would give a good test to the speakers. I have a widely varied taste in music so many aspects of the sound could be tested.

As a student I know bargains, and would easily be able to think of a price that people would be happy to pay (depending on sound quality of course).

Did well in English at school too :P

Edit: Forgot to add, I have access to a pretty good camera, and depending on the time, may have an excellent camera of my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Me too please!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

ste.phen here
    igy on boffer

Choose me because I'm supercalifriagilisticexpialidocious!
    Also, I listen to almost exclusively digital sources, from ipods, apple TV, laptop, etc, and would love to test a new speaker set rather than using the built-in speakers of the various devices :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

boffer username: Raoul
    boards.ie username : Raoul

Music is a big passion of mine and listening to it at the best possible quality is very important.

My taste is music is very diverse, so the speakers would have to perform at a reasonably high level.

I have a large family who would also benefit from the item and would be able to give their own input for the review.

I am also a student and I know a bargain when I see one.

I have a good grasp of the english language.

This would be an excellent opportunity for me and I would be very grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Boards: muffler
    Boffer; Bigmac

If they want plenty of feedback they can have it with the 3 teenagers I have here in the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

I would like to review the product please;

Boffer user name; chalkitdown

boards user name; chalkitdown

I have worked in audio/visual related jobs for decades and have the ability to gauge quality of sound and ease of use of the device. I am also a gadget nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Boards: Thoie
    Boffer: ocultado
    I have a variety of music players to try it out with, a good grasp of the English language, and people often laugh at me. In a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Boffer user: JosephH
    Boards user: Deaddude

I would be interested in testing this docking device, I've been looking for something similar for my MP3 for awhile now and would be able to give a practical nontechnobabble review :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Boards name - peckerhead
    Boffer name - peckerhead

I have five kids with all sorts of ipods/mp3 players. We could do you a video review that looks like the Jackson Five, only whiter.

And I remember when home taping was killing the music industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Username on Boards: Smcgie
    Username of Boffer: Smcgie
    I'll be honest i only registered on boffer there now like everyone else! :p

I want to put your product to the real test.

-Battery,
    -Speakers
    -Speaker Quality,
    -Fm transmittiance with in car doc quality
    -Charging options
    -Using External speakers.
    -Using while exercising (gym & jogging)
    -Uploading Platform (if any)

Here a helpful tip for MP3 manufactures, Being able to charge the dam thing somewhere else other than a USB port would be an excellent idea and stop selling them with those stupid ear phones that constantly fall out (ipods) (see here) worth every penny!

Be warned! Straight talking feedback ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Some excellent entries so far..

Sorry I forgot the mention in the original post.. this competition will run til Tuesday.

Will lock the thread when it's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Boffer.co.uk : Rich1791
    Boards.ie : Rich1691

I can give these speakers a good testing, comparing them to other speakers and docks, so count me in please.!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Boards Username: Inquitus
    Boffer Username: Inquitus

Why should you pick me?

I have a keen interest in all things gadgetty and electronic. I read extensively on them in Stuff, T3 etc. I have a keener interest in PC's so I read PC Format and Custom PC.

I have 2 kids under the age of 4 so all my electronic goodies need to have a degree of versatility, my N95 failed the 4yo challenge when it stopped working after a Toddler induced swim in the Toilet! and I can always hand it to my wife who is a technology philistine for a bit of an ease of use analysis!

Inq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Username on both sites: Phasers

I think I should get the parachute the top of the range speaker system / iPod / MP3 dock because I'm great

(Also I live with many nerds and old people people who have many ipods/mp3 players so we'd give it a good going over)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

boards:tantipie

boffer:tantop

my reason:
    i have one mad teenage son really into his music and could
    give it a good auld going over:P
    because i check boffer evryday to see if there any bargains for me:)
    and also cause i never get anything for free:(
    oh and because it took me ages to type this nicely to give it a
    nice look:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Boards.ie: shblob
    Boffer.co.uk: shblob

Why should I win?

Because iBood suck and boffer are the best,

and I like moosic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Kel Varnsen

Username here: Kel Varnsen
    Username on Boffer: art_vandelay

Why give it to me over all the other worthy candidates in this thread? Because I love music, I love listening to and experiencing it, I luxuriate in the deliciousness that is music. I revel in it, and would gladly take both my eyes out with a rusty spoon before letting anyone anywhere near my music receptors(what you call ears). I wear sound-proof ear-buds when I leave the house so as not to taint the experience of listening to my sweet, sweet music with impure, imperfect words and noises. It is the only thing I hear. I dream in music. Music sustains me. Music defines me. Music and free stuff are my two favourite things in the world. So to deny me this, something that combines my two favourite things in the world, would be an injustice...a travesty against my person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

boards username: mcgovern
    boffer username: mcgovern671

I love music and gadgets, have plenty of mp3 players to try and I listen to music almost all day everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭marrm

board username: marrm

boffer username: marrm

have a variety of equipment, includind ipod, mobiles with mp3 capabilities, BOSE hifi system etc: I'm, an Early Adopter - the marketers will know what that means - it means that I buy stuff when it comes out, when it is still expensive, because I want to be one of the first to test & use it.

cheers. :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

1. Your boffer user name: rash0001

2. Your Boards.ie user name: rash0001

Cos otherwise I will never own a sound systems which has an MRP of £79.99! Too stingy for it. Student and all that! But I do love to get my hands on the latest technology and have written alot of reviews for different companies like play, komplett, dealextreme etc usually sites which allow user reviews, the sites that allow reviews are also the site which are frequented by alot more people due to the fact that they know what the product is from a buyers point of view and not an advertisers point of view. My last product to keep review was a Nokia N70 which I reviewed for Nokia when it was out! Still have that in near perfect condition! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm not very good at this sort of thing so i decided to draw a nice picture.

Boards username: The Scientist
    boffer username: thescientist

I thought it was going to be you in the nip with a dog :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Boffer username: insinkerator
    Boards username: insinkerator

Reason: The main reason is that music is central to my life., so the quality of its sound is obvioulsy paramount. My muic collection ranges from aac files at 128kpbs, to flace files, so i can give speakers a good test. I also play bass, so i can record tracks to test the bass capabilities of the speakers, and i also have access to a guitar so i can really give the speakers a run for their money. Also, as a student i have an instinctive 6th sense for sensing out a bargain, so to be honest i really dont think you would be able to find somone better suited than me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

1. Boffer Username: metalfest
    2. Boards.ie Username: metalfest
    3. Why you we should choose you over anyone else:
    I have a working digital camera, have helped make reviews before.my friends like to make reviews, I constantly browse online to keep up with new technologies and prices for said technology.
    PS: PICKME PICKME :):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Boards name: kearnsr
    boffer: kearnsr

I'd like to do this as from the average users point of view it be nice to get a review from a person who is more interested in how the end product works rather than how many watts it has or how many presets it has etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

boards user name: eamon234
    boffer user name: eamon234
    Why me? To make up for me not getting my 200 AA batteries (I'm not bitter!):D
    Oh and also I have an iPhone 3g which is now my only means of listening to music because my 9 year old daughter has taken over the stereo which seems to be constantly belting out the bloody Jonas brothers all day and night. Heeeeelp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Boffer username : Bentonio
    Boards username : Tusky

At 9:01pm, on Friday the 19th of July 1985, to a chorus of thunder and lightning, I came into this world, all gooey and naked. I was one sexy baby. "Youre one sexy baby", the doctor said. A Comment he would later lose his job over. Everyone who met baby Ben knew instantly that I was meant for bigger and better things. "One day, you'll test an ipod dock/speaker system for boffer and make us all proud", they would say. It was obvious back then and its obvious now...testing this ipod dock is my destiny, something I was born to do. Something I have been preparing for all my life. The girlfriends, jobs, friends, pets...all irrelevant! Testing this ipod dock and giving it an earth shattering, spine tingling, earlobe shakingly accurate review is my destiny, and this is why I and noone else (apart from the other 9...but their reviews are also irrelevant when put next to mine) should get to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Boffer username : smashey
    Boards username : smashey

Why me? You know it makes sense.
    delboy.jpg
    If you don't, I'll huff and puff and smashey your offices to pieces.

Now that I'm on a three day week, I'll have plenty of time on my hands to research this and the competition. I will then round up 5 Polish labourers to write the review for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

basquille wrote: »
    Some excellent entries so far..
    ...well, let me balance them out for ya'.

Boards.ie/boffer/slashdot/sexynakedveterinarians.com username: psicic

Why should I get to do a review? Hmmm.... well, I mangle the English language every time I open my mouth (and I only speak English); I have an isoteric (read: very weird) sense of humour, no one will likely get any of the jokes I make; my pop-culture references are about ten years out of date (the kids still like the hip-hop and the Charlies Angels, right?); I, use, too, many, commas; I could make the most exciting topic in the world sound like a Civil Service Report (ref: sub para A; Article 4, Document III in Appendix 2); I wouldn't be able to test out the iPod function well because, despite own tonnes of other MP3 players and music equipment (Vinyl is KING!), I don't personally own an iPod..... Wait.... why were we supposed to be posting here again?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

User name for everything : overexcitedaj

why me? well im a music nut and have many types of devices that can be used to test it with
    Also cos i never win anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Boffer user : tvdx
    Boards user : TVDX

I am a serious audiophile and can hear a pin drop in the next room.
    When it does fall, I can analyse the acoustics in my head,

I can't stand compressed MP3 files and will only back up my cd collection to the FLAC format for total lossless audio from the original cd.

Audio is my number one hobby and I have studied how to produce proper audio.
    I can give this sound system a full testing and give insights that you will find fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Boffer username: the tax man
    Boards username:the tax man.

Why me? Well, I'll just cut to the chase.Nobody so far has had the balls to be up front and completely honest. I just want a free bit of kit. And at a penny short of £80 you can be sure of a very honest review.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

1. Your boffer user name
    dionsis

2. Your Boards.ie user name
    dionsiseire

Personally i own plenty of gadgets, Ipod, N95, PS3, PSP, 32" TV (for my room) laptop etc so im used to buying top end stuff but i do try to wait for a bargain.
    I run a music website where reviewing gigs and music would be a regular thing so this would just be a change of the reviewed item, so i should be able to do a good job of it.

Cheers

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Sure why not.

boards username: Going Forward
    boffer name: mcgoughn

As for why, I have a wide music choice, and in my mind with things like this its necessary to test a little bit of everything, from metal to folk to classical and everything in between. On top of that, I think i'm reasonably good at expressing myself and my views (though yeh can check my history, could disagree ;)) and so feel I could write a decent review of the product. I use my iPod pretty much everyday, and have become quite picky about earphones especially that I like to use with it, so feel I could give a decent review of what its like.

By the way, cheers guys, its great to see a company getting so involved with their customer base. Kudos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Boffer name=amilo
    Boards name=Bros123

I would be great for this as I've just had my ears syringed so I'm in audiophile heaven.
    I'd be perfect for helping to choose the Boffer price as I'm not related to Nick Leeson.And my alarm is always set for 11.58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭montydorito

boffer name : music4life
    boards name : montydorito

im a student in other words broke, poor so i would appricate it a lot. i work in radio so i use a lot of music equipment and i would give loads of feedback

my ipod phonejack recently stop working so it would be great if i could use the docking system to listen to my ipod perfectly again

so pls boffer pimp my sound system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

1. Your boffer user name...higster
    2. Your Boards.ie user name...higster

1. Have iPhone, iPod classic, iPod nano to test it on.
    2. Have me 2 brothers systems to test it on (one half decent one branded "iWant it" and another crappy one).
    3. Have a wife, a 4 year old and a 6 year old that would love to give their opinions including how it "looks" vs. how it "sounds"...important if you want it to be accepted in a household otherwise ends up somewhere hidden (as I found out with my last surround sound system)
    4. Have reasonable knowledge of music/sound with a wide range of musical tastes (from "good to be a country boy" to "whole lotta rossie")
    5. Just had me birthday so present from me to me
    5. I want a free system
    6. I'm desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

1. boffer user name - Santa_Claus
    2. Boards.ie user name -
    3. Because I'm sick of people leaving out milk and cookies for me, a decent present like this would make a nice change!
    Plus I've got a iPod mini, nano, touch and iPhone so plenty to test it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

boards: omega42
    boffer: omega

Reason: my Cat's teddy bear was run over buy a tractor and i had to spend my tech budget on a pet psychologist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Boards: Kold
    Boff: Kold

Reason, I'm a complete music addict, I'm playing music most of the day as I work from home. I will put it through it's paces from IDM, Gabber, Post Rock to ambient and classical. I also need an alarm clock as tend to use my phone unless it's charging on the other side of the room. That and it's me birthday in 2 weeks :D

I'm also an internet hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Boards: kcools
    Boffer: kcools

Why should I be selected? I am a wordsmith of enormous talent, second only to Jackie Collins and my opinions are listened to by people the length and breadth of the room I am currently in. My review would become an instant internet classic, leading Bill Gates to launch an MSkcools application that will go on to sell millions.
    I know nothing of music - I watch the X factor and recently bought the new Pussycat Dolls single. I have the incredible misfortune to have two teenage children who, when they are not trying to upset either their mother or me, seem to spend an inordinate amount of time listening to music at volumes that defy the laws of physics and affect the gravitational pull of the earth. Often my ears bleed.
    I am extremely good looking and therefore deserve things that uglier people do not. I pull no punches and push all buttons. In the Far-East I have attained god-like status. In the Middle-East I am a poplular television presenter. In the Near-East they only dare speak of me in hushed tones.
    I am good at what I do. I think therefore I am. Veni, vidi, vici. I smoke, but only after I make love. I'm a 20 a day man. I drink, but only when I fail. Alcohol has never passed my lips.
    I am an audiophile, a francophile and an ex-phile. I don't just hear music, I see it. My favourite band is the Cure but I am an optimist. I like Dizzee Rascal but do not want to dance wiv him. I am a trained killer, Abba are lucky to still be alive.

Kind regards,

kcools

* please note that some, or all of the above may or may not be true. The piece about the teenage kids however is definitely true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement