Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is empire music closing down?

• 29-11-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

was in there today the place is empty and like a graveyard.i know most people my age download but even i still buy/order a few cds now and again its nice just being in a shop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I havent heard anything.

Wasnt there rumours about this before ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The whole town is like a grave yeard these days. usually it is packed on a saturday a lot of people watching what they spend.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

was in there today the place is empty and like a graveyard.i know most people my age download but even i still buy/order a few cds now and again its nice just being in a shop

Yep. Has been for about ten years if rumours are to be believed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Empire was never much good. When I was younger(Im 29) there was either this or Golden Discs in Arthurs Quay and the odd desperate trip into Savin's but as soon as HMV opened its door that was the end of Golden Discs for me and probably more others.

I think its gets its business through Ticketmaster and its fairly good location.

With the advent of Itunes and filesharing the industry was bound to be whacked out of sorts.

Yet another potential empty shell on the horizon.

The empty shell of Barratts shoes on cruises street brought the beginning for me. When I turned the key for the last time in the door a number of weeks ago I knew its was downhill from here. The manager of River Island told me there days were numbered. They are 50% as of the same time last year but the crescent is up(go figure). Early learning centre is on its knees too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Empire was never much good. When I was younger(Im 29) there was either this or Golden Discs in Arthurs Quay and the odd desperate trip into Savin's but as soon as HMV opened its door that was the end of Golden Discs for me and probably more others.

I think its gets its business through Ticketmaster and its fairly good location.

With the advent of Itunes and filesharing the industry was bound to be whacked out of sorts.

Yet another potential empty shell on the horizon.

The empty shell of Barratts shoes on cruises street brought the beginning for me. When I turned the key for the last time in the door a number of weeks ago I knew its was downhill from here. The manager of River Island told me there days were numbered. They are 50% as of the same time last year but the crescent is up(go figure). Early learning centre is on its knees too.
    Ya, these are all worrying developments. The City Centre is starting to resemble a shell.

• Advertisement

Im not sure how I feel on the matter.

Retailers have screwed us over for years and on one hand I think "here is your come uppens"(i dont know how to spell that, oh you know what I mean)

On the other hand I think its terrible for the city and we should be pumping money into the economy to support them.

However, I cannot justify spending money in the local economy because I am not been given justification by the government that my job will be safe because the economy will pick up so I am hedging my bets on what I spend my money on.

Im watching more food outlets opening up and Thomas street is about to burst. Nobody will be eating there because soon there will be little to attract shoppers to the city.

Empire is in trouble possibly. O'Mahonys will have to revert so living off second hands school books market like it did before in Harveys Quay. Leavys shoes will have to do with just one store. Sony ran for the hills. Wacky shoes will be whacked because nobody will be able to afford crazy coloured shoes. The Munster rugby store will probably close on account of the Thomond Park store. Empty street then. God across the road will still be cutting hair no doubt. :D

Rates will be increased to squeeze more from shoppers which will only alienate shoppers so we wont turn up to buy anything.

I do not buy anything on cruises street because everything there I can get online except for dildos in Ann Summer which I gladly do not require(I am a bloke, lets reminder ourselves of that)

I do not shop in River Island because I think the fact everything costs ??+50c example Jeans €55.50. I believe this mysterious 50c extra is a currency conversion conspiracy so I do not buy there. Also because Im not a Mod or a Student or think I cannot wear the clothes anyway.

All these retailers were banking on the new development on the Dublin Road(TK MAXX neighbours) but considering the financial insitutions put a hold on lending money to the developer thats out. Hence, the loss of Barratts cruises St.

BTW, on that development. See all those cranes. Who is paying the rent on those if there is no money?

Hmmmmm?

BTW, do you people ever go out? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

AFAIK the cranes are owned by sisk's and they are just leaving them there as it would cost to take them down and store them

sioda wrote: »
    AFAIK the cranes are owned by sisk's and they are just leaving them there as it would cost to take them down and store them

Its hardly as if they have many other jobs they need them on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They can hardly expect people to spend money on products that are too overpriced anyway and you can probably get them cheaper online anyway!

If you were in the crescent today, it was jammed, but how many people were actually buying stuff?

The Crescent on any given weekend in December is my idea of hell.

• Advertisement

If you were in the crescent today, it was jammed, but how many people were actually buying stuff?

Thats because this weekend was farmers weekend. Saturday was farmers day anyway.

Lots of travellers in the crescent. The credit crunch does not quite hit home with that lot as fast.

I blitzed Blanchardstown on Saturday because there is Sh*t all in the crescent anyway.

Thats because this weekend was farmers weekend. Saturday was farmers day anyway.

Lots of travellers in the crescent. The credit crunch does not quite hit home with that lot as fast.

I blitzed Blanchardstown on Saturday because there is Sh*t all in the crescent anyway.
    I thought December 8th was the farmers day out.
    As for the knackers, there's always money in crime.

Aidric wrote: »
    I thought December 8th was the farmers day out.

Thats what I get for believing my girlfriend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thats what I get for believing my girlfriend.

lol

Back on topic, I can't remember the last time I was impressed by Empire. In my memory they've always been way behind in terms of both stock quality and quantity. You could go looking for a Muse CD and be more likely to find it with CDs filed under "J". :confused: I don't go to many gigs/concerts so I've never had to get tickets in there.

Still, the idea of a big empty building on the main street in town is much worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Empire... Hmm, closed down re-opened and building is up for sale and seems to open at odd times. The whole thing is privately owned so I'd expect that he'll keep trading until he can sell the building. In the current climate I reckon that will take a while.

Yes, this weekend is Farmers weekend. Tomorrow is childrens allowance day and parents will be getting more money for their kids in a couple of weeks. Maybe with all the spending that this lot will do in the next couple of weeks the economy will bounce back?

Why on earth would you shop on freezing cold Cruises Street when the Crescent has all the same shops?

So I saw closing down sale signs up on the window today. Can't say I'm surprised, the place is always quiet these days and their stock is well dated. All the same another empty unit on O Connell St isn't good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So I saw closing down sale signs up on the window today. Can't say I'm surprised, the place is always quiet these days and their stock is well dated. All the same another empty unit on O Connell St isn't good news.

Yeah it is closing down this time, but it will not become an empty unit. The owner has said that he will be opening a new business on the premises that is not music/film related after he winds up the Empire music side of things.

It was in the Leader earlier in the week.

I just hope that it does not become another of those rubbish €2 stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Theres a big head shop going in there ... selling legal highs etcs...might cheer some people up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Theres a big head shop going in there ... selling legal highs etcs...might cheer some people up!!

Any truth in this? The Business fails so he targets the mental-health of our Dopey Teens to keep himself in Cigars?

:rolleyes:

The ticketmaster desk is staying on in the new business thankfully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

People still queue up for tickets?! i buy mine on the internet the minute they go on sale, then usually go back to bed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Classy to have one of those shops on our main street:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Not another one of those head shops...vile, tacky looking places.

Casperbhoy wrote: »

We had one before there - tacky as any of the 2 euro shops

No worse than the rubbish cheapo shop a few doors down from it where the Sony centre used to be. And defo no worse than the cheap tacky looking street that most of William street is.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Kess73 wrote: »
    No worse than the rubbish cheapo shop a few doors down from it where the Sony centre used to be. And defo no worse than the cheap tacky looking street that most of William street is.

I feel the ciry centre is on a downward spiral

I feel the ciry centre is on a downward spiral
    It's been going that way for a while and I don't trust Limerick City Circus to address it in a satisfactory manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was really sad when I heared Empire music was closing down :(
    When I first came over to Limerick as an angst ridden alternative teen it was my home away from home! I spent the whole of my 16th year in an Offspring tshirt I brought from there! It was one of the few cool,individual shops where those behind the counter engaged with their customers. I also had a big crush on this guy behind the counter :D

It was also an excellent shop for Irish music and I used to by loads of Cd's in there for my mum and dad.

Seriously, something has to be done to regenerate Limeick city centre. Its creepy walking around there on the weekends. Perhaps the market should be open all day on Saturday as it closes very early?That may get a few more people in town on the weekend

It's been going that way for a while and I don't trust Limerick City Circus to address it in a satisfactory manner.

Further more reason not to want LCC take over suburbs

• Advertisement

Panda110 wrote: »
    Seriously, something has to be done to regenerate Limeick city centre. Its creepy walking around there on the weekends. Perhaps the market should be open all day on Saturday as it closes very early?That may get a few more people in town on the weekend
    The milk market is undergoing a major transformation, one that will see it trade six days a week I think. It's about the only positive news concerning the city at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

The milk market is undergoing a major transformation, one that will see it trade six days a week I think. It's about the only positive news concerning the city at the moment.

I think we can trust that LCC will make a complete pigs ear of this project too, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Ticketmaster...what a rip off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Subtle_Code

panda100 wrote: »
    I was really sad when I heared Empire music was closing down :(
    When I first came over to Limerick as an angst ridden alternative teen it was my home away from home! I spent the whole of my 16th year in an Offspring tshirt I brought from there! It was one of the few cool,individual shops where those behind the counter engaged with their customers. I also had a big crush on this guy behind the counter :D

It was also an excellent shop for Irish music and I used to by loads of Cd's in there for my mum and dad.

I miss the Empire from the mid-nineties and Blackspot Records.
    and all the other small independent shops that existed (for varying lengths of time) in the City.

still, what can you do - very hard to operate a business around music these days.

Good to see the Saturday market is open till 4pm now - was very busy last weekend when I was down there and there's good quality stuff down there - especially food wise.

As for music in Limerick at the moment - everyone knows about HMV, but there is also Little Catherine St Bookshop/Art Gallery, upstairs (beside the side entrance to Guineys and that Religious Shop).

okay, so it's mostly old 70's and 80's stuff, but I've found some bits n pieces in there and they've been good enough to stock some recent releases from an independent label I run (Subtle Audio) :

<snip>

<snip>

they are also in HMV by the way - it's Electronic stuff / Drum & Bass ;)

I presume everyone knows about the Record Fair that hits Limerick every 3 months or so ? In the basement of the Pery Hotel on Glentworth Street ?

and all the other small independent shops that existed (for varying lengths of time) in the City.

still, what can you do - very hard to operate a business around music these days.

Good to see the Saturday market is open till 4pm now - was very busy last weekend when I was down there and there's good quality stuff down there - especially food wise.

As for music in Limerick at the moment - everyone knows about HMV, but there is also Little Catherine St Bookshop/Art Gallery, upstairs (beside the side entrance to Guineys and that Religious Shop).

okay, so it's mostly old 70's and 80's stuff, but I've found some bits n pieces in there and they've been good enough to stock some recent releases from an independent label I run (Subtle Audio) :

<snip>

<snip>

I presume everyone knows about the Record Fair that hits Limerick every 3 months or so ? In the basement of the Pery Hotel on Glentworth Street ?

Just when you mention music stores in the city centre in the 90's. There was also Tony's music scene which was in the O'Connell Mall. Plus the music store that was in the Williamscourt mall. Todds/Brown Thomas had the Golden Disc franchise store in their basement, and there was the music store that was by Tots to teens before Crusies street was built, and the music store that went into the basement of the store where the Vodafone shop is now on O Connell street/cruises street.

Just when you mention music stores in the city centre in the 90's. There was also Tony's music scene which was in the O'Connell Mall. Plus the music store that was in the Williamscourt mall. Todds/Brown Thomas had the Golden Disc franchise store in their basement, and there was the music store that was by Tots to teens before Crusies street was built, and the music store that went into the basement of the store where the Vodafone shop is now on O Connell street/cruises street.
    IIRC the music store in tots to teens was tots to teens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Plus the music store that was in the Williamscourt mall.

That was the original Empire music shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

<snip>

<snip>

Jesus the man is only plugging a song not forcing to buy it.bad form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This should have been closed sooner for being a zombie.

well, better late than never I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement