Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fifa 2009 League Results [Gameweek 3]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bennyc wrote: »
    Which just about sums it up. You need Man United defenders to defend against Man united Attackers.

This league table as it stands is not a true representation of the skill level of players. It is mostly made up of those who chose Man U and below them, those who didn't choose Man U.

Players that play as Man U have such an advantage over lesser teams (ABU) that they are almost guaranteed a win, irrespective of their skill level (almost). I also think that the new premier league will be made up of Man U players while the rest of us non Man U's make up the championship.

Just my 2c or a disgruntled rant, call it what you will
    PLEASE BAN MAN U FROM ANY FUTURE LEAGUES

moz,
    GT livelyjojo

Teams next year are unique. There will be 1 Man United team next year, and it will almost certainly be chosen by the player who finishes bottom of this years league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

moz wrote: »
    Which just about sums it up. You need Man United defenders to defend against Man united Attackers.

That's rubbish in fairness. I've played 5-6 other Uniteds and this is the first game I've lost. I didn't lose because he was United, I lost because he played better than me. I never got going at all, so fair play to him. No point in hiding behind excuses.

If you are losing by 6-7 goals or more, it can't ALL be because of the teams (unless you are Udinese or Spurs). Don't flog a dead horse and don't make excuses. If the league isn't representative of skill level, you will obviously finish much higher next season when the top ranked players are handicapped by team choice where as you get a much better team if you finish lower down. You should find it easy to finish well above us all if you are a better player and have a better team....

This league table as it stands is not a true representation of the skill level of players. It is mostly made up of those who chose Man U and below them, those who didn't choose Man U.

I have to disagree with both points here...

1) I have played against Aston Villa, Bayerm Munich and even Reading, and they all kept clean sheets. There isnt a whole lot of difference between an "87" attack and an "83" defense. It depends completely on the player at the helm. Very good players will anticipate moves and will cut out any danger before Ronaldo et al. can get their running boots on. And they can do that regardless of what team they use.

2) I think thats unfair to the people doing well in the league. I have played 15, won 5, lost 8 and drawn 2. I also play Man United, but I am not a great player. By your logic, I should have won most of my games. I guarantee if you gave a weaker team to the likes of Y2J, they would still beat people, because they are excellent at the game, not because they chose United. If he had chosen Chelsea, he would still be hockeying people, but noone would be complaining about it.

Guys, we are almost halfway through the league, and I have to say that, apart from Soby quitting, it has gone quite smoothly. Thats because the players are a good bunch :). Lets keep it up, play our games in good spirit and get ready for the big leagues next year...and the Boards Cup...opps, I think I let something slip :) Hmm I wonder what happens the the divide between the Premiership and Championship comes down and the big guns take on the minnows :) What sort of shocks are we going to see???

FutureGuy wrote: »
    cut out any danger before Ronaldo et al. can get their running boots on.

I played against some lad who was England (Wright-Phillips, Lennon on the wings, Walcott & Owen up front) and I was Ireland (O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane, McShane at the back).

So I was basically a team of Michelin men, and he was a team of Usain Bolts and Ireland won. Obviously its going to be harder if you are up against an even or better player, but my point is that its not all about speed and its not all about team choice.

I'll play against you again.... you can be United and I'll be Milan, and I won't lose 10-1. Or you can be United and I'll be Sunderland...I'm not having a go and I'm not waving a result in your face, but to be fair I just want to show that your point is wrong.

Its not all about team choice for everyone bar 2 people in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I played against some lad who was England (Wright-Phillips, Lennon on the wings, Walcott & Owen up front) and I was Ireland (O'Shea, Dunne, Kilbane, McShane at the back).

So I was basically a team of Michelin men, and he was a team of Usain Bolts and Ireland won. Obviously its going to be harder if you are up against an even or better player, but my point is that its not all about speed and its not all about team choice.

I'll play against you again.... you can be United and I'll be Milan, and I won't lose 10-1. Or you can be United and I'll be Sunderland...I'm not having a go and I'm not waving a result in your face, but to be fair I just want to show that your point is wrong.

Its not all about team choice for everyone bar 2 people in the league.

I've played you twice, once in the league and once in a friendly, you hammered me both times with Man U.

I think the result would be the exact same if you had a half star team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Everyone seriously needs to get over the whole Man Utd thing!!!!

it's rubbish to say that lesser players will beat better players because they are Man Utd!

I'm looking forward to the next season when a few people will have to eat humble pie as the players now at the top will probably be playing with the likes of West Brom, West Ham et al and will still show that they are superior players! Future Guy proved this fact by his record in the league and he is Man Utd (No offense Future Guy ;))

My xbox live record is 200 odd wins and 80 losses and i rarely go man utd. If someone picks villa i go portsmouth, if someone picks Arsenal i go spurs. thats the way i like to play to keep it on an even playing field so i have experience of playing with nearly every premier league club and still maintain a good win to loss ratio.

cadogs wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the next season when a few people will have to eat humble pie as the players now at the top will probably be playing with the likes of West Brom, West Ham et al and will still show that they are superior players! Future Guy proved this fact by his record in the league and he is Man Utd (No offense Future Guy ;))

Always happy to buck the trend cadogs ;) I know I'm destined for a 13th-14th place finish but I'll have learned alot about how the top players play, so I'm hoping for as promotion to the premier league in season 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Who's gonna be on tonight? I've got 5 games left this week and need to get them done today.

There are a few people struggling to play games this week...I propose a Fifa 09 evening between 6 pm and 11 pm tonight.

If you have games to play, get online and start cracking skulls etc :)

I have my 15 played already so I may be on for a few friendlies.

Y2J, I'm interested in seeing firsthand how you get to double digits in 14 minutes...up for a friendly game later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Keep yer Mercurial Vapor IV's on lads.
    All I am saying is Man U are better than any other team (FACT) and players that play as them have an advantage over the rest. I'm not saying Y2J_MUFC et al would not be top of the league if they were Stoke or Hull. They probably would be, but they wouldn't be hammering people by 10 goals per game!

I know I'm ****e and I have no illusions about finishing in the top 10 or anything like that. I play this league because I enjoy the game and the banter with ye all. It's deadly craic. BUT.... it can be demoralising when despite all of your hard efforts, ronaldo runs by two of your defenders, shoots at will and scores, several times during a game.

Nothing personal lads, just my opinion and roll on the leagues proper.

moz,
    GT livelyjojo
    btw I'm a Man U supporter :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Y2J, I'm interested in seeing firsthand how you get to double digits in 14 minutes...up for a friendly game later?

Why would you want to see that? He destroyed me last night it was far from a pleasant experience...the guy just does not make any mistakes!!!

But fair play to him, he gave me a few decent tips afterwards, that i will try in my next games and see how it goes. Cheers Y2J.

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Why would you want to see that? He destroyed me last night it was far from a pleasant experience...the guy just does not make any mistakes!!!

But fair play to him, he gave me a few decent tips afterwards, that i will try in my next games and see how it goes. Cheers Y2J.

My heaviest defeat was 7-0 by Inter a few games into my Fifa 09 comeback...I want to see how he is winning by double digit scores on a consistant basis :) Apart from being an obvioulsy excellent player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

My heaviest defeat was 7-0 by Inter a few games into my Fifa 09 comeback...I want to see how he is winning by double digit scores on a consistant basis :) Apart from being an obvioulsy excellent player!

Man U ;)

Excellent Player, nah, its all down to Man U!:D

No seriously, he never makes a mistake and he intercepts every bloody pass, it was the longest 14 minutes ever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Man U ;)

Ha ha:p

I won't be able to get on tonight cos i'm going to see the mighty Mastodon!! :cool:

Only unbeaten player in the league so far as well!!! :pac:

But i still have to play all the players in and around the top!!:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Please post all gameweek 3 results here. Also, please link any goal of the month youtube videos right here!!!

Gameweek consists of 6 games. I strongly recommend that everyone have 15 games played by the end of Gameweek 3, so I can do fixtures for gameweek 4.

Question? How does 4+4+6 = 15? :p

I've still got 4 games to play this week then!! I'll try get on tonight for a couple of them anyway!

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Question? How does 4+4+6 = 15? :p

I've still got 4 games to play this week then!! I'll try get on tonight for a couple of them anyway!

Gameweek 2 was 5 games so it's 4+5+6=15 :)

CKWPORT wrote: »

No worries, you were what, 13-0 down and you didn't quit... that takes real balls.

Sure FutureGuy, I'll be on tonight, happy to play a few friendlies. Our game was close enough if I remember, so don't expect me to run riot!!

Looks like I'm going to have to come out on top in all the "50-50" battles against Mordant Shaun, GREENHAWK 88, marshjem (and company!!!!!) thanks to that stupid connection problem defeat and the actual defeat I'm in bad shape now!

In the last week we should have all the lads at the top playing each other, if it can be worked out like that, it would be class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I 100% agree. I don't really have that much of a problem with it anymore because I've already played 7 Man utd's so how many can there be left but I've lost 6 of those matches and in my non Man Utd matches I've won 2 and drew the other (I think). I demolished Arsenal and Liverpool but Man Utd are so difficult to play against because they are so fast. I have 1 fast defender. Anytime Ronaldo has the ball and the opponent can dribble I'm screwed.

Y2J Man Utd might disagree because he's so good, I would have fallen for that fake move every day of the week but it is nearly impossible to defend against Man Utd with slow defenders for the whole game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

I'll be online tonight from about 7 ish. Want to get a good few games in. I've only played a few games. I'm due to play a hell of a lot more to get up to 15 by Friday!

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I 100% agree. I don't really have that much of a problem with it anymore because I've already played 7 Man utd's so how many can there be left but I've lost 6 of those matches and in my non Man Utd matches I've won 2 and drew the other (I think). I demolished Arsenal and Liverpool but Man Utd are so difficult to play against because they are so fast. I have 1 fast defender. Anytime Ronaldo has the ball and the opponent can dribble I'm screwed.

Y2J Man Utd might disagree because he's so good, I would have fallen for that fake move every day of the week but it is nearly impossible to defend against Man Utd with slow defenders for the whole game

If Ronaldo is running at you, you can't dive in with a tackle. I usually track back and keep a little space between him and my defender. When he sizes up a shot, then its time to try and dispossess him.

When real teams play Man United, they sometimes change their strategy to cope with the attacking options that Ronaldo/Rooney/Berbatov provide. I wonder how many Fifa players do the same. Food for thought.

In fairness, I agree with you. You and Stevo Port have the only legitimate complaints in this league because you are significantly weaker sides than the rest of us.

The other guys can't though.

There is not a significant difference between United, Barca, Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal and Liverpool. If you want to look at speed:

United have Ronaldo.
    Barca have Messi.
    Liverpool have Torres.
    Arsenal have Walcott.
    Inter have Quaresma.

I played one lad from the league in a friendly, I took Ronaldo off at half time, and brought on Park... (I'd consider Mancini, Henry, Quaresma, Reira, Iniesta, Hleb to be better than Park) but I scored a goal from a dribble on the half way line.

Lets just cut the excuses and get on with enjoying the league! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

In fairness, I agree with you. You and Stevo Port have the only legitimate complaints in this league because you are significantly weaker sides than the rest of us.

The other guys can't though.

There is not a significant difference between United, Barca, Chelsea, Inter, Arsenal and Liverpool. If you want to look at speed:

United have Ronaldo.
    Barca have Messi.
    Liverpool have Torres.
    Arsenal have Walcott.
    Inter have Quaresma.

I played one lad from the league in a friendly, I took Ronaldo off at half time, and brought on Park... (I'd consider Mancini, Henry, Quaresma, Reira, Iniesta, Hleb to be better than Park) but I scored a goal from a dribble on the half way line.

Lets just cut the excuses and get on with enjoying the league! ;)

In fairness, they're not excuses, they're opinions. Some people think there is an advantage playing as Man Utd, other people don't, ye're never going to agree!

Once we get to next season, we won't be arguing about it anyways :)

If Ronaldo is running at you, you can't dive in with a tackle. I usually track back and keep a little space between him and my defender. When he sizes up a shot, then its time to try and dispossess him.

I do the exact same but it's not possible on the counter attack. that's nearly always where I leak goals to Man Utd. Also, the problem is is that because Ronaldo is so good he only needs to go past once for a goal and United's defence is so good as well it's hard to take advantage. Lukovic is also super crap

Also, regarding Y2J's point, I found Liverpool and Arsenal pretty easy to defend against because with Man Utd, even if you stop Ronaldo he has Berba, Rooney and Nani in support, 3 of which are also all faster than ever defender I have bar Zapate

Also, regarding Y2J's point, I found Liverpool and Arsenal pretty easy to defend against because with Man Utd, even if you stop Ronaldo he has Berba, Rooney and Nani in support, 3 of which are also all faster than ever defender I have bar Zapate

Again, I wasn't talking about Udinese or Spurs. Your point is valid for them, not for other top teams.

Cordoba is one of, if not the fastest player in the game. Inter have Mancini, Adriano, Zlatan in support of Quaresma, etc. Could argue around in circles for ages going through all possibilities with all teams.

Bottom line is that if people want to blame United they can, but its not fooling anybody. Some logical conclusions based on the argument that you can't beat anybody playing as United:

- People who finish near the top of this league will have rubbish sides
    - They only finished their because they picked United
    - You are a better player and have a better team, then all the people who are complaining should hammer us in the league next year.

I expect all those people complaining will easily finish above us United players.

Ah, ffs....my internet connection just dropped twice (only about 10 seconds each time), but long enough to cost me that game last night when the same thing happened.

Its great having 10mb magnet, no lag, but its worth **** all if it keeps disconnecting me and ruining my win/loss record

Ah, ffs....my internet connection just dropped twice (only about 10 seconds each time), but long enough to cost me that game last night when the same thing happened.

Its great having 10mb magnet, no lag, but its worth **** all if it keeps disconnecting me and ruining my win/loss record

Are you playing via wireless?

Nope, wired. Never had a problem before the disconnection last night! Some painus in the anus.

• Advertisement

Wahey. Took the first points of Mordeth Shaun in a 1-1 draw scoring only my third free kick

Advertisement