Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fifa 2009 League Results [Gameweek 3]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Oh, must have been against one of the other topish players. Unless you have a doppelganger

BTW, what's the story with running ahead with games. Giving that it's exams in the next two weeks I'd rather get as much games out of the way before i finish my first one and realize I'm ****ed

I'm going to allow people toplay ahead of 15 *IF* they have a very good reason. Life is going to get in the way given the general age of the players. Onbviously, exams count as one of those situations. Just don't go too mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm going to allow people to play ahead of 15 *IF* they have a very good reason.

I have a good reason. I can't count. Seriously....

I realised last night I've played more than 15 for sure. I'll post up my record and stuff in a while, but seeing as I'm countillectually challenged, I have more than 15 played at this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

MackerelMan 4 The Dunne 2
    MackerelMan 3 livelyjojo 0
    MackerelMan 1 R0nBurgundee 0
    MackerelMan 3 Irish Wolverine 3
    MackerelMan 3 endakenny 0

Good games lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I drew 1-1 with Marshjam, not Mordent Shawn. He beat me 3-0.

BTW, is there any interest in a cup competition when the leagues get split?

There WILL be a Cup competition. I announced it a few days back. Should add extra spice to proceedings...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

R0nBurgundee 1 towellers 2
    R0nBurgundee 0 MackeralMan 1

Two narrow defeats for me last night that could be crucial in terms of Boards Premiership survival.

After game week 3:

P/W/D/L
    15/6/1/8

I've completely lost track of how many goals I've scored and conceded. Is there a way to check this? And why can't they have a proper league table on the main page? Its so naff the way you have to scroll across to see all of the screen :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

cadogs wrote: »
    :confused: The only points i've dropped was in a 2-2 draw and i don't think it was with you!!!

If you're GT is mordant shaun that draw was with me!!

And you were lucky :p

I was on last night after the football and only two guys were around one who I played the other had his 15 games played already!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Still 3 more games to play for me I think.
    Will try connect this evening but I'm still having intermittant problems connecting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

Mr Moon wrote: »
    If you're GT is mordant shaun that draw was with me!!

And you were lucky :p

I was on last night after the football and only two guys were around one who I played the other had his 15 games played already!

:rolleyes:You were lucky i was having an off day when you played me!! :P :pac:

:rolleyes:You were lucky i was having an off day when you played me!! :P :pac:

LOL, suuuuuuuure, I think I hit the bar about 5 times!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The cup will be sweet, us underdogs will be out to create history. Can you please assign teams for that, or else it will be the Man Utd cup. I'll certainly choose them if it's allowed.

The cup will be sweet, us underdogs will be out to create history. Can you please assign teams for that, or else it will be the Man Utd cup. I'll certainly choose them if it's allowed.

The cup starts next season. You play the same team as you do in the league, so it will allow for games between weaker players with the best teams versus the best players with weaker teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Record after 15 games:

P/W/L/D/PTS
    15/2/12/1/7

A terrible record i know!

Irish Wolverine 1 - 0 CKWPORT
    Garlball1 4 - 0 CKWPORT
    Ronburgendee 3 - 2 CKWPORT
    Y2J_MUFC 13 - 0 CKWPORT
    Deliverance XXV 6 - 0 CKWPORT
    Dave7G 4 - 1 CKWPORT

Do you need the list of all players we've played to do the fixtures for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

League Standing after wk 3

GT: livelyjojo
    P / W / L / D / F / A / PTS
    15/ 4/ 11/ 0/ 15/ 41/ 12

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Irish Wolverine vs MackeralMan
    Liverpool vs Man Utd
    3-3

Great game of football, 3-0 down at one point then 2 quick goals before the end of the first half. Second half as all action for both teams with an equaliser right at the end.

Irish Wolverine vs Mordant Shaun
    Liverpool Vs United
    0 - 11

First off I got beat bad, good result for Mordant Shaun and all that and not gonna cry over it but have to say its probably the most boring game of fifa i have ever played. Through Pass 3 times to get to Rooney, Ronaldo or Park and then use pace to outrun my defenders and score, Rinse and Repeat.Few chances for Liverpool but lost interest after 4 goals as this wasnt a football match but just use of a boring tactic, reminded me of the days in the older games of fifa just using drag backs to score all the time.

Hopefully next season when people have to pick different teams it will make it more interesting and make them have to actually play football.
    Ive played other as United and had good games, obviously Mordant is 2nd in the league so hes got the wins under his belt but maybe i should have picked united and just through passed to the forwards and ran by defenders to score, what was i thinking that people would actually play football in this thing :D

Axwell wrote: »
    Liverpool Vs United
    0 - 11

First off I got beat bad, good result for Mordant Shaun and all that and not gonna cry over it but have to say its probably the most boring game of fifa i have ever played. Through Pass 3 times to get to Rooney, Ronaldo or Park and then use pace to outrun my defenders and score, Rinse and Repeat.Few chances for Liverpool but lost interest after 4 goals as this wasnt a football match but just use of a boring tactic, reminded me of the days in the older games of fifa just using drag backs to score all the time.

Hopefully next season when people have to pick different teams it will make it more interesting and make them have to actually play football.
    Ive played other as United and had good games, obviously Mordant is 2nd in the league so hes got the wins under his belt but maybe i should have picked united and just through passed to the forwards and ran by defenders to score, what was i thinking that people would actually play football in this thing :D

Jesus you're some moaner!!!

You neglected to mention that you had two players sent off for blatant fouls from behind which then made it easy to through pass straight through your defense!!!

What do ya want me to do!! Start flicking the ball all around the place and doing tricks just to make you feel better!! I'm not playing to try and entertain you, i'm playing to win games!!

You have one of the fastest players in the game in Torres and just because you don't have the ability to utilise him don't come on here crying like a bitch!!

I've had a lot of wins in this league by 1 or 2 goal margins against excellent players but you were just rediculously poor and made it very easy for me!

...and just through passed to the forwards and ran by defenders to score, what was i thinking that people would actually play football in this thing :D
    ...and just through passed to the forwards and ran by defenders to score

I can't understand this train of thought...are non-Manchester United defenders incapable of moving or tackling? Does Ronaldo auto-score goals?

I played 3 games against Y2JMufc this week, another high scoring United player and he didn't score one throughball goal.

Throughballs are easy to deal with if you practice a little. When you feel that a throughball is probable, dont challenge the midfielder, but position your midfielder between him and the attacker. If he does get a ball through, switch player to your defenser and cut it out.

My observation is that if a very good player senses that a player cant cut these balls out, they will take advantage of the fact. Just like real soccer.

2 cents...

You neglected to mention that you had two players sent off for blatant fouls from behind which then made it easy to through pass straight through your defense!!!QUOTE]

Axwell, if true, this isn't on at all...

Guys, I have heard quite a number of complaints about players that are getting well beaten resorting to nonsportsman-like behaviour, such as constistantly taking the last man out. It's childish and unwelcome. If people want to do that, I suggest they find a random league to play in next season.

As I said, I'm keeping track of all instances of such behaviour, and I will be using it to form the list of invitees for next year. One player (Soby) will not be invited, but there are other players who have received multiple complaints (one person has 4 separate complaints).

If I am losing badly to a superior player I have 2 options...

A) I can act like a baby, get into a sulk and start fouling left right and centre, thus ruining the game.

OR

B) I use it as a learning experience. See how the better player is beating me and see if you can adapt to it and learn from the experience. It's a free tutorial.

• Advertisement

I got 2 players sent off when i had no choice but to slide tackle in an attempt to stop you in the second half also in both cases you didnt through ball your player was already running into the box at this point so what else could i do,it wasnt a case of consisently trying to take your players down. The first one sent off i replaced with another player so there was a full defence still in place, the second was so late in the game it didnt matter.
    I also stated above and to you on xbox good game and good result but that i just found your style of play a bit boring and there wasnt much football to it. I didnt complain about the result of the match and said your second in the league so your obviously winning games all over the place. I didnt think it was a case of not being allowed to voice an opinion here and that you would start to whinge over a bit of criticism. You won the game and I never once gave you personal abuse over it or said you shouldnt have won, I dont need to come on here calling names or calling someone "rediculously poor" at the game like you do. Like i said it will be more interesting when everyone cant play as united cos as far as i can see any complaints on here seem to be over the fact people are all using united.

It'll be funny next season to see the guys who get Man U Barca Inter and the likes getting their asses handed to them by better players!

What will they moan about then? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Hey Future Guy,
    Will we have a fixture list tomorrow for the next week of matches do you think?

Ta for all your good work
    moz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Liverpool Vs United
    0 - 11

TBH I am using Liverpool and if I use the default Liverpool setup against the top to mid ranked UTD players I know I will get my ass handed to me. Speaking from a Liverpool point of view you need to set up a defensive team V UTD and take advantage of quick breaks. You shouldn’t really be having a go at the top ranked in the league they are usually there for a reason. I don’t think there is a flaw in the game for through balls its just UTD are 99% of the time going to beat your defenders in a race then score in a 1v1 so they cannot be allowed in. There front men are faster as they are in real life. If anything Ryan Babel is a lot faster then he should be and can make a good break down the left, I always start him.
    I am not saying this is full proof but it does stop United from playing the through balls behind the defense. I for one am learning a lot from this league and cannot wait to play the top players again next season if I can just break into the top division for now that is priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

moz wrote: »
    Hey Future Guy,
    Will we have a fixture list tomorrow for the next week of matches do you think?

Ta for all your good work
    moz

Is there any way of posting up who has still to play games form the 3 gameweeks i have been finding it hard to find matches to meet my quota this week.

Hi all,
    I have compiled a list of all results with the intention of sorting out fixtures for the final 3 weeks. After double checking, only 91% of the results were posted in the results section. This means that I have no way of telling who played who in some cases. Bottom line is that, for the remainder of the league, fixtures are going to be impossible to create.

I'm not going to get annoyed that the results weren't posted properly, as I am going to blame myself for this. I didn't realise that the game only recorded recent results, and not all results, until it was too late to rectify the problem.

A knock-on of this lack of reporting combined with the fact that we have had incidences of quitting etc means that the goal difference means absolutely zilch. I do not expect this to be a problem this year. The reason is as follows...the purpose of this league is to rank player skill, and we are all getting a good idea of who belongs in each league. When the time comes next season to choose a team, and 2 or more players arrive on the same points, I will give each player a chance to PM me a team at the same time. With the multitude of teams, I don't think anyone will choose the same team. If they do, it will be easy to compromise...the fact is, if 2 players end up on 32 points over the course of 27 games, theres going to be little difference in terms of their ability.

With that lesson learned learned, I have put a system in place whereby this will not be a problem next year. I am going to post the ENTIRE fixture list next season one week in advance. Also, I am going to have 2 separate threads. One will be for the fun side of things (banter, match reports etc) and the other will be for nothing but posting match results. This will make it way easier to get stuff done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just a tip, if you want to include goal difference you should make it that the winner should have to post the result because there's no incentive for the loser to post immediately. Helped for the Chess league

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just a tip, if you want to include goal difference you should make it that the winner should have to post the result because there's no incentive for the loser to post immediately. Helped for the Chess league

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Apologies for being late with my results for gameweek 3

towellers 1- 6 greenhawk88 (got my hole handed to me)

towellers 0 -3 lovelyjojo (was 2 nil up but I lost my connection)

towellers 2 -1 ronburgendeee (won this in the last minute i think)

towellers 5 - 0 reganovski ( poor reggy had one of those games to forget)

towellers 3 - 0 rainyface (was 2 - 0 up when he quit)

towellers 4 -3 benny (classic Arse Vs Pool)

towellers 1 - 4 the dunne (****in rooney the ugly b*stard)

the story so far

P / W / L / PTS
    15 9 6 27

• Advertisement

Mordant Shaun (Man U) 2 - 0 The Dunne (Man U)

Very close game. 2 quickfire goals won it but had to do a lot of defending. The Dunne is a good player.

Mordant Shaun (Man U) 7 - 3 Batman IRL (Chels)

Good game. Went 2 up and he pulled back to 2-2 but managed to get a flurry of goals to finish it off. Hit the post as well about 10 times. Fair play to Batman, he kept attacking and never gave up!

Advertisement