Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Colour coding rubber bumper parts

Options
  • 29-11-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I have a VW Golf in silver and the rubber 'bumper' fittings (which are on front and rear bumpers and doors) are unpainted ie. black matte finish. I was thinking of getting these colour coded with the paint on the car.

Can these be painted or do I have to buy new fittings?

Any idea on the cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

From what i've heard it's 250-400 to get it well done.
    A lot of the cost comes from the man hours involved if they need to be de-textured. Make sure you like it in photo shop first though, sometimes it looks too bland fully coded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is it a mark 4? Are you going to do the vents as well. I got three quotes on doing this are they were all 500 +. There's alot of man hours involved as said detexturing the pieces. What costs the most, is the primer for the plastic. It can be done very cheaply, but will chip and flake very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just make sure they know what they are doing, the black strips along the bumpers will need to be pre treated, primed and then painted. A poor job will result in the paint flaking off soon after the job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally, I 'd buy new moldings that come primed and then have them painted. The finish will be so much better.

PM me with your chassis number and exact make and model and I'll get you the part numbers of the primed moldings so you can price them at a local main dealer.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Personally, I 'd buy new moldings that come primed and then have them painted. The finish will be so much better.

PM me with your chassis number and exact make and model and I'll get you the part numbers of the primed moldings so you can price them at a local main dealer.

Sounds dodgey:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Is it a mark 4? Are you going to do the vents as well. I got three quotes on doing this are they were all 500 +. There's alot of man hours involved as said detexturing the pieces. What costs the most, is the primer for the plastic. It can be done very cheaply, but will chip and flake very easy.

Yes it is a mark 4, I've seen a good few with colour coded fittings and it just looks bettter imo, thats the only reason i wanted it. 500+ seems a bit pricey though, not what i was expecting.

any idea how much would the new, primed moldings cost on their own and how much to have them painted?

Thanks lads

tdc wrote: »
    Yes it is a mark 4, I've seen a good few with colour coded fittings and it just looks bettter imo, thats the only reason i wanted it. 500+ seems a bit pricey though, not what i was expecting.

any idea how much would the new, primed moldings cost on their own and how much to have them painted?

Thanks lads

I'm the same as you, i was going to get mine sprayed as well but it was just going to cost to much. Polished it today and blackened the bits. Looks well. Bit of a break between the silver.
    DSC00119cope.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I'm the same as you, i was going to get mine sprayed as well but it was just going to cost to much. Polished it today and blackened the bits. Looks well. Bit of a break between the silver.
    DSC00119cope.jpg

Nice bus!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Nice bus!

Merci:D

My car is the same colour as yours, different wheels though. I agree that 500+ is too much. What did you use to blacken the moldings? Looks very well btw :cool:

• Advertisement

tdc wrote: »
    My car is the same colour as yours, different wheels though. I agree that 500+ is too much. What did you use to blacken the moldings? Looks very well btw :cool:

Good old sun of a gun and a sponge. Works a treat for a few days. Wear off fairly fast. There is better stuff you can get to keep them blackened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You could make a reasonable job of it yourself. Take off the mouldings first and its an easy job!

gpf101 wrote: »
    You could make a reasonable job of it yourself. Take off the mouldings first and its an easy job!

Oh you could get it done for 100 euro by someone easily. It's just getting it right. There's alot of work, especially when things can go wrong! lol

So any idea what kind of money Im looking at for new primed moldings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Here is my old gti, the gti's came with the colour coded mouldings, looks much better imo, but id buy the pre primed ones, much better finish

DSC00545.jpg

Ah the CH's were the wheels i wanted from day one, but when i found i the price i went for the reps lol:D

Advertisement