Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freezin hands!

• 29-11-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

I started biking about three weeks ago, and it's been going great so far.

Was comin home from work last night and couldn't believe how cold my hands and specifically fingers got!
    I figured gloves would offer some protection but I guess the fingers are still very exposed.

I was just wondering how effective those hotgrips are in people's experience?
    Are they easy enough to install, given that I'm vey much a noob.

I'm keen to do something, as I felt my handling of the bike was compromised by the numbness.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I got a pair of Oxford handlbar muffs, and I must say, they're complete shite. It's more than likely that they just don't fit very well on my bike and that there are better ones out there for me, but even so. Muffs are a good alternative to heated grips tho, if your battery isn't up for them. They trap air around your hands so it heats up and keeps your hands warm (with the help of gloves).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

One thing I cant stand about riding me bike is wearing gloves. I used to wear em when I started on me first bike, :( I actually miss it haha. Then one day I didnt use them and now Im after going through many's a winter night over the years without them. Sure me hands be nearly stuck in the same shape for the rest of the night but I just hate gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

I had heated grips on my last bike and they were a god send come winter. Worth splashing out a bit of cash if you ride year round.

Otherwise just stick your hands on the engine when stopped at the lights.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

seanybiker wrote: »
    One thing I cant stand about riding me bike is wearing gloves. I used to wear em when I started on me first bike, :( I actually miss it haha. Then one day I didnt use them and now Im after going through many's a winter night over the years without them. Sure me hands be nearly stuck in the same shape for the rest of the night but I just hate gloves.

Jaysus Sean you'll make mince meat of your paws if you take a spill. Unwise!

Jaysus Sean you'll make mince meat of your paws if you take a spill. Unwise!

ah sure they'll be so numb I wont feel it and by the time they cool down I be full of morphine. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Handlebar Muffs. They are a pain but you get used to them and they do stretch a bit when they are on for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

ah sure they'll be so numb I wont feel it and by the time they cool down I be full of morphine. :D

LMAO that can only be the one and only Seanybiker, hows it going hun?? and yeh ur a numpty for not wearing gloves, they are for protection first and warmth second.

Back on topic.

Depends if ur doing city riding or open road, yeh heated grips will warm the palms of ur hands but if ur doing alot of open road riding i would recommend heated gloves as opposed to grips, another tip is never put on cold gloves on cold hands, i keep mine in airing cupboard and i always warm me hands before i stick me gloves on. Some peeps wear ligth cotton gloves under their bike gloves, good luck and keep warm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭webels

Got these to keep my hands bone dry during a heavy shower but when I wear them over my normal gloves have found they keep my hands warm too, particularly the last few days

http://www.staintune.co.uk/main.php?group=rainoff

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

webels wrote: »
    Got these to keep my hands bone dry during a heavy shower but when I wear them over my normal gloves have found they keep my hands warm too, particularly the last few days

he he I like the look of those-like teenage mutant ninja turtle hands!

a little bit

he he I like the look of those-like teenage mutant ninja turtle hands!

a little bit

They are a bit. You still have good control wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I started biking about three weeks ago, and it's been going great so far.

Was comin home from work last night and couldn't believe how cold my hands and specifically fingers got!
    I figured gloves would offer some protection but I guess the fingers are still very exposed.

I was just wondering how effective those hotgrips are in people's experience?
    Are they easy enough to install, given that I'm vey much a noob.

I'm keen to do something, as I felt my handling of the bike was compromised by the numbness.

Cheers

Depending on which bike you have if you put on bush guards it'll keep the wind off, and that's all that's making your fingers cold. Just make sure they are solid and have 2 mounting points, so they can't get blown back onto your levers at speed. These would keep the wind off your fingers and hotgrips would make it nice and toasty. The muffs tend to be pushed back onto your levers at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Otherwise just stick your hands on the engine when stopped at the lights.;)

This works a treat, used to always defrost my hands this way. Granted there where no lights around, but made the fingers nice and warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

I'm really happy with my Oxford muffs. While they won't exactly keep you warm, they to cut out the wind chill factor. They also stop your gloves from getting wet, which is a great help.
    Never had a problem with them being blown back against the levers, though I'd rarely do more than 140kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

webels wrote: »

I got similar gloves to these but they're not 100% waterproof. I got the Richa - 2330 Gloves from Cotters for €35 EUR and I LOVE them!

First pair of gloves I've owned that actually keep you warm!

Now, they're not magic and you will start getting cold after a while like any other pair of gloves but they still are the best I ever owned so I definitely recommend them! And they're cheap too!

FYI: they are not armoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

You may find in years to come that your hands are stuck in the same shape permantly.I'm talking arthritis or rumathism (sp) really not a good idea to leave your hands exposed this weather. I have dodgy knees and wrists from years of couriering and I was covered up.

I got similar gloves to these but they're not 100% waterproof. I got the Richa - 2330 Gloves from Cotters for €35 EUR and I LOVE them!

First pair of gloves I've owned that actually keep you warm!

Now, they're not magic and you will start getting cold after a while like any other pair of gloves but they still are the best I ever owned so I definitely recommend them! And they're cheap too!

FYI: they are not armoured.

I wear the Rainoff gloves over my armoured gloves. This morning was mighty cold and while my hands were not exactly warm they were not the blocks of ice they would have been if I had not worn them.

dubtom wrote: »
    You may find in years to come that your hands are stuck in the same shape permantly.I'm talking arthritis or rumathism (sp) really not a good idea to leave your hands exposed this weather. I have dodgy knees and wrists from years of couriering and I was covered up.

i know yeah. The gloves I wore where fecking massive yokes and I could barely feel the levers, it wasnt affecting my riding , I just rather feel what Im doing, bikes and woman wise lol. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Those hand guards that take the wind off you make a much bigger difference than just heated grips. Heated grips just warm your palms, the wind deflectors are far better. I'd also invest if good gloves long before heated grips. I have good gloves, heated grips and wind deflectors, hands are usually grand unless i'm doing 200miles and it's raining

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

cheers for all the responses.

I went out over the weekend and picked up a pair of 'polartex' gloves from a camping shop. They're relatively warm, but very thin at the same time, so I can wear them under my biking gloves (richa)

It's still chilly enough, but nowhere near so, and riding isn't affected....

a happy medium all round. Also tried the engine warmin, but, ironically, the two pairs of gloves meant the heat didn't get through during the time I was at traffic lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

The only cure for the cold hands are these. http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=209044 Gerbing Heated Gloves

I got a pair a week ago and you can't feel the below 0 temps. They are nice and light. Easy to wire in. Keep the whole hand warm. The only down side is having to plug them in every time you get on the bike.

A better buy then heated grips and work far better. They are expensive at over €150 delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Haven't tried them, but i reckon heated gloves are 10 times better than heated grips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

still using a pair of unlined richa gloves (summer ones I guess), so having frozen fingers these mornings is the norm. Warmin em on the engine at the lights is my only respite :(

Got a pair of coldkiller liners, but they're too thick to use properly under gloves, my hands actually hurt (ache like fook!) keeping them closed around the grips :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I can't put my hands on the engine....the engine is under my seat! Honda Innova...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

dubtom wrote: »
    my shoulders dont like this weather

i wore all the gear when i was couriering but wet is wet and eventually you get cold

good gloves should keep you warm and nobody should ride without gloves boots and leathers I(or some poxy looking gortex stuff that i sin fact better but spoils the whole point might as well get a diversion )
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

ive just invested in a new pair of gloves as old ones had holes in them from touching the exhaust , but also have heated grips and bar muffs, the grips cost about 200, when i bought the bike i got them installed at the start, the muffs cost 15 euro on ebay, both a great buy in my mind especially over the last few days.
    just a little tip ive picked up recently while i wait for new boots to arrive,
    when you come in from work or play put your boots sitting on top of a radiator overnight, when you put them on in the morning they will be nice and toasty.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Wossack wrote: »
    still using a pair of unlined richa gloves (summer ones I guess), so having frozen fingers these mornings is the norm. Warmin em on the engine at the lights is my only respite :(

Got a pair of coldkiller liners, but they're too thick to use properly under gloves, my hands actually hurt (ache like fook!) keeping them closed around the grips :o
    Get those Richa gloves in Crossan's Wossack. I was looking for a cheap solution to the "cold hands" problem and this was it! I couldn't afford paying €200 or €300 EUR on electric gloves or heated grips but I'm delighted I spent that €35 EUR on these gloves! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

ha, those the mad penguin-lookin ones? might have a look at gettin some thinner liners like as suggested in the same thread on biker.ie as I'd prefer the armour ye only seem to get with summer type gloves

if I cant find anything though Ill have a look out for em next time Im over in Simons :)

Wossack wrote: »
    ha, those the mad penguin-lookin ones? might have a look at gettin some thinner liners like as suggested in the same thread on biker.ie as I'd prefer the armour ye only seem to get with summer type gloves

if I cant find anything though Ill have a look out for em next time Im over in Simons :)
    I was there earlier today to pick up my new jacket and he was placing an order for these particular gloves in all different sizes. They should be there on Wednesday next week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Finger guards and a good pair of gloves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I got a pair of Exo2 Stormshild gloves. Unlike the ones posted above they are meant for biking. With all the armer required for safe biking.

Linky here

Linky to a review I wrote here

All in all top gloves, and I do 140mile all round commute.

Advertisement