Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ganley and Simmons "Considering" Running For Europe

Options
  • 29-11-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

Libertas Guru Declan Ganley and head cheerleader Caroline Simmons are considering a tilt at the European Union elections next June. At least according to the Irish Independent they are. This would seem to be the most concrete vindication of the view that Libertas (now a registered Party), will attempt to have their views transferred into electoral politics

Ganely is reputed to be running in the North West, while Simmons is considering the Dublin constituency. Acoording to the paper, the organisation will not target Munster as Kathy Synnott is already stationed there.

I feel that this would be a good thing for democracy, and it would offer a real choice. I still maintain that Eoin Ryan took the EU nomination to maintain a profile after his relegation to the Fianna Fail backbenches, and Gay Mitchell only ran due to Liz O Donnell's decision not to stand in 2004. I have no time for De Rossa (a pseudo Europhile), and I cannot stand the Shinners. A party with the EU at the heart of its message could create some waves, particularly against the Euro Sceptic middle and upper classes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Well Libertas' Manifesto should be good for a laugh anyway..

Simons might a little about Europe in the meantime considering she thought Vaclav Klaus was going to be the EU president last time I saw her on de telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Het-Field wrote: »
    Kathy Synnott is already stationed there.

Dont really think she got in on Euroskepticism, and at this point you would be hard pushed for her to admit she is one. She got in as a moral catholic mother of a disabled child. Sympathy vote, in other words. I hope she gets trounced.

And Libertas too, for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

turgon wrote: »
    Dont really think she got in on Euroskepticism, and at this point you would be hard pushed for her to admit she is one. She got in as a moral catholic mother of a disabled child. Sympathy vote, in other words. I hope she gets trounced.

And Libertas too, for that matter.

I agree with you on Synnott. Her mandate has nothing to do with hanging out with the Nutters in UKIP and clelbrating with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Eurosceptic2008

Het-Field wrote: »
    Libertas Guru Declan Ganley and head cheerleader Caroline Simmons are considering a tilt at the European Union elections next June. At least according to the Irish Independent they are. This would seem to be the most concrete vindication of the view that Libertas (now a registered Party), will attempt to have their views transferred into electoral politics

Ganely is reputed to be running in the North West, while Simmons is considering the Dublin constituency. Acoording to the paper, the organisation will not target Munster as Kathy Synnott is already stationed there.

I feel that this would be a good thing for democracy, and it would offer a real choice. I still maintain that Eoin Ryan took the EU nomination to maintain a profile after his relegation to the Fianna Fail backbenches, and Gay Mitchell only ran due to Liz O Donnell's decision not to stand in 2004. I have no time for De Rossa (a pseudo Europhile), and I cannot stand the Shinners. A party with the EU at the heart of its message could create some waves, particularly against the Euro Sceptic middle and upper classes.

The upper and middle classes actually voted yes (around 60-40 among the latter), with the working-classes voting no by at least 2-1. Even in the latest Irish Times TNS-MRBI poll, the working-class remain opposed to the Treaty. Personally I agree with them running but not in Dublin, where it could split the anti-Lisbon vote and hence endanger MLM. Northwest makes more sense, as Ganley lives there and with the loss of Dana in 2004 it no longer has a Eurocritical MEP. A run in Leinster should not be ruled out though - maybe Simons should run there instead. From a no campaign perspective I think the priority should be increasing the anti-Lisbon representative among Ireland's cohort of MEPs.

Advertisement