Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for my uncle

Options
  • 29-11-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to track down my uncle. I only know a few things about him, but as my family was separated when I was young, I'm trying to track them down now. He would be around 40 or so, he has a mother called ...... whose family lived in ......, she worked as an ......., and my uncle would have, I think, 2 other siblings.

Unfortunately that's all I know about my family, so it might be a lost cause posting this up, but I can hope.

Would appreciate any help if any of this sounds familar.

[Details removed from post - Victor]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi poster, apologies for taking some time to (part) approve this thread, I wanted to run it by other moderators.

I don't think the Personal Issues board is quite the place to be doing something like this. I'm not sure if there is a correct place for it, at all. However, it is a genuine issue for you and many others have similar issues.

However, I'm sure there are people who can share their personal experiences and give you tips on how you might find your uncle, e.g. you might go about finding family documents like birth, marriage and death certificates from the local GRO office. www.gro.ie

People on the adoption board might also have ideas. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=879

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Try putting up an add on gumtree, I found my Dad through that my aunt in america saw it and got in contact with him over here telling him, we've got on great ever since...give it a go they have the right sections and you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'd suggest getting in touch with barnardos. They help trace family of adopted children, not sure if they would deal with a non adoption circumstance but they could probably give you some information on how to go about it. Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Josie_dub

Hi OP,

You should have a look at www.missing.ws, although a wesite primarily for missing persons in Ireland there is also a section for people who have lost contact/addresses with family members for whatever reason. Might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you could find out where he lived or where his mother lived the church records might be able to help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi,

There are several different options open to you.

If you go to the research room in the General Registry Office (its where all births, marriages and deaths are registered), in the Irish Life Centre on Talbot Street- you can pay a single daily charge to research as many of the books as you like.

Births are registered in alphabetical order. You know your uncle's mother's name- so it should be fairly simple to find his birth certificate. By searching prior and post to his date of birth- you should be able to flesh out the family tree.

Once you have his name, and his date of birth- its a simple matter of moving over to the marriage register. If you find a marriage cert for your uncle- it will have the address he intended to live in when he first married.

From this point- its a case of either checking to see if he is still living there (its easiest to do this by checking the most recent electoral register- and inobtrusive).

If he is still living there- you can decide what the next move is. If not- a little further detective work is called for. The current residents may be able to shed a little light on the matter- or indeed if he lived there long term- possibly the local postman might know where post was forwarded to.

Anyhow- if need some more suggestions- do give us a yell, and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

Take care,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi the site www.gro.ie does not work

the correct site is www.groireland.ie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement