Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No year guarentee at Tesco

Options
  • 29-11-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Tried to return a faulty Philips DVD recorder to Tesco, two weeks ago!

No receipt until I found it this morning. Went back to Tesco today but as it out of Guarentee on Monday next, 1st December, they decided to test DVD in shop.
    Do they give a years guarentee or 363 days?

It was tested for an hour and worked fine, as fault is tempermental and periodic. I was so fed up waiting - worn down - so I took it home.

Tesco wouldn't replace it today - gave me a months extra warrenty!
    Will they believe me next month? They didn't today - very embarrassing.:eek:

Have I been fobbed off? Whats rights do I have now?:confused:
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RKQ wrote: »
    Tried to return a faulty Philips DVD recorder to Tesco, two weeks ago!

No receipt until I found it this morning. Went back to Tesco today but as it out of Guarentee on Monday next, 1st December, they decided to test DVD in shop.
    Do they give a years guarentee or 363 days?

It was tested for an hour and worked fine, as fault is tempermental and periodic. I was so fed up waiting - worn down - so I took it home.

Tesco wouldn't replace it today - gave me a months extra warrenty!
    Will they believe me next month? They didn't today - very embarrassing.:eek:

Have I been fobbed off? Whats rights do I have now?:confused:
    Any advice appreciated

As far as I can remember, you do not have an automatic right to an exchange or a refund in the warranty period. You do have a right to a repair and only if the repair fails will they offer anything else. I would sent it to Philips for repair and explain the fault conditions to Philips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes after this long I'd go to the manufacture, especially if it's intermitant they will probably be aware of the fault straight away.

Philips are usually great deal with for telephones and audio visual anyway, What is the fault any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

those in store guarentees are a joke. the shop doesnt want to handle the return and the associated grief of returning the product to their supplier.

the best is the manufacturers warrenty,fill out the card and follow the instructions Philips will more than likely straight replace because DVD players are not worth trying to repair. it probably cost philips more to repai your than it does to make a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just go to another store...............they'll eventually come good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks all :) Appreciate your advice.
    wmpdd3 the faults are numerous but occassional:-

Just turned it on - door won't open! Buttons on player don't always work.
    Word "ERR" flashes on clock then clock changes to "E2"

Door only opens every 2nd or 3rd attempt with remote control.:confused:
    Worked perfectly in Tesco :eek:

Won't play all VCD,
    Screen locks/ freezes on shop bought DVD - can't turn player off without un-plugging it.

It seems to record fine and plays USB fine. Cost €100 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Thanks all :) Won't play all VCR,
    Screen locks/ freezes on shop bought DVD - can't turn player off without un-plugging it.

It seems to record fine and plays USB fine. Cost €100 :)

I've never known a video cassette to play back on a dvd player. Perhaps sticking big old tapes into that little disc drawer caused the problem with the door not opening too.

I'd go back to tesco tomorrow, did you get the extra month in writing???

they don't have to replace it, it's refund, replace or repair..... but i'd be concerned about your 1year warranty suddenly being expired even thought they told you you had a month. I hate when shops do this, it costs them nothing to send it back to phillips. Someone suggested going to a different store, this could be a good idea.

I've never known a video cassette to play back on a dvd player. Perhaps sticking big old tapes into that little disc drawer caused the problem with the door not opening too.

Thats Tony, meant video cd - home movies on cd! Pity you weren't there today. Could have done with a laugh standing in Tesco for an hour today:)

Manager signed back of receipt for extra months warranty, but its still under warranty today and they weren't interested. Wish I'd found that receipt 2 weeks ago.

Other store won't do much with a signature on the back of the receipt, not sure I can take another interrogation.... bit my tongue afew times today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No offence lad, but vendors are wary on the run up to christmas, when people come in saying their unit is faulty, wants refund, or brand new one, etc, etc. To be honest, they took a look at it, saw nothing wrong, so couldn't really give you a refund as, well, it worked (when they tested it).

IMO, try getting onto Phillips. If it's a known issue, you may get some feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the_syco wrote: »
    No offence lad, but vendors are wary on the run up to christmas, when people come in saying their unit is faulty, wants refund, or brand new one, etc, etc. To be honest, they took a look at it, saw nothing wrong, so couldn't really give you a refund as, well, it worked (when they tested it).

IMO, try getting onto Phillips. If it's a known issue, you may get some feedback.
    what qualifies the staff in tesco's to test a dvd player? if it is faulty return to them and ask that it be sent for repair as the fault is still there but only intermittantly. (this sounds like argos's 24hour testing for any faulty goods where apparently the manager takes them home and tests them.)

• Advertisement

yeh at the end of the day she's not looking to get a brand new one in a box to give to someone else as a present, she (he?) just wants it fixed. If that was me I would demand that it be sent back immediately, go back and say you've brought it home and the issues still remain, that they are obliged to do something about it and they are not qualified to find faults with DVD players so they need to follow the correct procedure....

Thanks again.... Some good advice above. The more I think of it the more annoyed I am about it. My nearest Store is 15 miles away.

I have the original box, user guide and receipt - I just want what I paid for, nothing more and nothing less.

No offence the_syco, the time of year is not relevant! I either have a 12 month guarentee or I don't....

The manager "tested" it yesterday, he connected it to a display tv in the aisle of the store - 40 minutes. When I pointed out the error flash on the clock "ERR" he said "Sorry, what I am supposed to be looking at?" :rolleyes: I bit my tongue hard.:eek:

Its a good brand, I'll ring Philips in the morning but thats not the point of this thread. My question is was my embarrassing treatment Fair and part of my guarentee..... Would you accept it?

Repair or replacement, as long as it works all the time, I don't care.:D
    Wish I found that receipt afew weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I get the impression that you expected Tesco to refund or replace on the spot. They are not obliged to do either. You should ask Tesco to send the DVD player back to Philips for repair or send it back to Philips yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Phone Philips 01 7640000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Won't play all VCD,

Sounds like the VCD's aren't being read correctly by the DVD player, hence the door might take a while to open while the Player is trying to read the contents of the Disc.

Can you reproduce this problem with an original non burned disc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

craichoe wrote: »
    Sounds like the VCD's aren't being read correctly by the DVD player, hence the door might take a while to open while the Player is trying to read the contents of the Disc.

Can you reproduce this problem with an original non burned disc ?
    I agree. Not all burned discs play on all players. If it works fine with all non-burned discs, their is probably nothing wrong with the player.

If you are burning the discs yourself, try to burn at a lower speed with no other program running. Also try different manufacturers discs. Just because a disc plays fine on a PC does not man it will be ok on a stand alone player.

For DVDs I find that Philips DVD-R play better on philips players.
    Verbatim DVD+R made in india were bad wheras the non india ones were fine.

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

On the "warranty" thing, the warranty itself is irrelevant when it comes to dealing with Tesco. The retailer is obliged to deal with all problems with the unit. The contract is between you and the retailer, not you and the manufacturer.

Any product is expected to operate without fault for a reasonable period of time after the sale. For electronics equipment, this is generally considered to be between 6 and 12 months. After this time, the manufacturer's warranty (if provided) comes into effect and the retailer is no longer obliged to deal with the product if a fault develops.

Tesco have no remit here to tell you to go to the manufacturer. They sold you the unit, they are obliged to deal with the problem if the fault occured relatively soon after purchase.

There are of course exceptions to this such as when a shop no longer stocks/sells the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Work for them myself, and this sounds nothing like the policy I am told. Usually, when a customer comes up too me with a problem with a product I listen too them first, look at the product, then the proof of buying it in the store, and ask if they would like a replacement, refund or repair.

I don't think its actully, "Tesco", but more the manager, having too deal with the work of sending it back etc... Again, this is down to who is dealing with your complaint(I am sure Tesco would not be too happy with this either).

Best advise I could give too you, would be too get in touch with the NCA, they will tell you were you stand, and what you should be getting.

I don't know if they have the power to step in and sort this out, but given the right circumstances I am sure they will.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/

boopolo wrote: »
    I agree. Not all burned discs play on all players. If it works fine with all non-burned discs, their is probably nothing wrong with the player.

The VCD used to play perfectly on this DVD Recorder, lately thats changed! but sometimes it plays perfectly. Sometimes the buttons work on the front but usually only the remote buttons work!

Sometimes the door opens when you turn it on.

I only had this problem on Saturday because I was so close to the end of my guarentee. I think I was unlucky with the Manager I met.

Thanks for all the advice.:) I'll keep ye updated

Just an update...

I returned the DVD recorder today - straight swap. The 2nd Manager didn't want to test the machine in the ailse of the store or make me feel like a liar. (Who'd drive a 70 mile round trip if they weren't genuine?)

I'm delighted, no more faulty DVD. I will continue to be a customer with confidence in Tesco guarentee policy. Pity the first manager was a prat!

Thanks for all the positive advice above.

• Advertisement

Just an update...

I returned the DVD recorder today - straight swap. The 2nd Manager didn't want to test the machine in the ailse of the store or make me feel like a liar. (Who'd drive a 70 mile round trip if they weren't genuine?)

I'm delighted, no more faulty DVD. I will continue to be a customer with confidence in Tesco guarentee policy. Pity the first manager was a prat!

Thanks for all the positive advice above.

glad you got it sorted, did the 2nd manager apologise for the first managers behavior?

Advertisement