Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cellular Blankets

• 29-11-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hi girls,
    Where would I get cellular blankets???

Getting the last of the things together now... omg...

I forgot to buy towels :(

Adrieanne

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Mothercare sells them.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

They had some in Dunnes early this year, but frankly, I don't much like them, I used fleece blankets for when it was cold and then muslin when it got warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

I got mine in Mothercare. Good luck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Got em in Dunnes :D, €8, not bad. Only bought two though, cos I have loads of fleece blankets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Got em in Dunnes :D, €8, not bad. Only bought two though, cos I have loads of fleece blankets...

How many do I need? Was going to get those gro bag yokes for the cot.

ps. How are you feeling adrienne? Your due date must be soon.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna get some grobags too, but can't decide which tog would be needed, need to get a thermometer into the bedroom for a couple of nights and see which would be best... I bought two cell blankets, four fleece blankets. I'm bringing the cellular blankets to the hospital with me, that was one of the only reasons I bought them.

Due date in 9 days Grawns, although I wish it was way sooner... I'm feeling good, tired but good! Just can't wait to meet baby now :D. How far along are you??

I bought two for my spring baby who was swaddled and tucked in with cellular blankets until about 8 or 10 weeks (honestly cant remember already!) and then because of risk of overheating during summer I switched to a 0.5 tog grobag I think at about 10 weeks (the sooner you do it the less resistance there is from baba!) and I used to tuck her in with a thin sheet because she liked the feeling of security being tucked in gave her. Then when it got cooler this autumn the 0.5 tog grobag was tucked in with cellular blankets again so out they came again, and now she's 8 months and too big for her old grobags and they are too cold for winter so I just got her two new 2.5 tog grobags which she sleeps in without any blankets or sheets amazingly enough. I thought she'd protest but nope!
    This place http://www.babysleepshop.com/acatalog/2_5_tog_Grobags.html is where I got my grobags and they currently have a deal on that if you buy two they throw in a lovely room thermometer that tells you the temp by digital display and by colour (ie blue = too cold, yellow and orange = ok, red = too hot).
    I did some of the best retail therapy of my life in the weeks before my lil darling arrived. I miss shops :(:D

Adrienne, when you are transferred to the delivery suite from the labour ward make sure your birthing partner grabs both the cellular blankets (I bought lime green and lemon because of stories of nurses picking up the pink or blue one and giving the game away!). My hubby and I forgot them and all the photos of the early moments of my little girl are wrapped in a blue cellular blanket which was all that there was in the labour ward. There followed LOADS of texts saying "but I thought you had a boy from the photos....." So do remember to bring your own!

I've noticed that retail therapy is sooooo good these days... I walked up to Charlestown the other day and bought the blankets and my hospital towels... was so relaxing!

Due date in 9 days Grawns, although I wish it was way sooner... I'm feeling good, tired but good! Just can't wait to meet baby now :D. How far along are you??

Glad you're feeling good. the cold weather recently was killing me. I was so tired I hibernated. Am awake again now that the temps gone up.
    Am 30 weeks - elective section around the 5th Feb so 9 weeks to go. Hurry up already!

9 days eh! Am excited :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that piece of advice TargetWidow, I bought two white ones, so will make sure he grabs them!!

Grawns, wish I could have a c section, getting anxious waiting to go into labour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭deisemum

adrieanne try not to worry about labour until you have to but even then try and work with your body.

Grawns, wish I could have a c section, getting anxious waiting to go into labour...

I know, it must be nerve wracking. One of the main advantages of an elective must be the certainty of the date but still I could go early and so could you! Fingers crossed it's an easy one for you.:)

I hope I go early, or at least on time. My mam is going away on the 22nd of December. I asked m/w in Rotunda last week how long they would let me go over and she said max is ten days! Other m/w a couple of weeks before said 14... so they are getting their wires crossed... If I go 14 days over it'll be St. Stephen's Day... god help me!

You might miss out on the auld turkey dinner lol

I went early both times, 1st time 15 days, 2nd time 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi adrieanne,

Lord, your pregnancy is almost over, seems like the time has flown! I'm sure for you now though you're ready to have your baby.

Don't worry about the labour too much - yes, it hurts of course, but it is so worth it. And there are plenty of pain relief option available! I was so nervous about labour too, but when it came to the crunch, I actually enjoyed the whole process, and the end result of course is fantastic. There are lots of visualisation techniques you can do to help you through your contractions - I visualised myself in a boat going over waves on the sea - the peak of each wave being the peak of each contraction, with a lull in between. It really helped to just try and take my mind off it.

Best of luck - a newborn at Christmas is just so special!

Hopefully a newborn before Christmas ;)

I'm not worried about the pain, just the actual pushing the baby out part... lol!

embee when I was pregnant with no. 1 my ante-natal class were told to visualise our cervix to a flower blooming and opening. Makes you look at a bouquet of flowers in a different light though especially when you get bouquets from family and friends :D:D

Hopefully a newborn before Christmas ;)

I'm not worried about the pain, just the actual pushing the baby out part... lol!

I found the pushing didn't hurt to be honest, it was just a lot of pressure, but not pain as such, the contractions were worse, but still bearable. It's different for each woman though, but the pushing wasn't too bad in my experience.
    deisemum wrote: »
    embee when I was pregnant with no. 1 my ante-natal class were told to visualise our cervix to a flower blooming and opening. Makes you look at a bouquet of flowers in a different light though especially when you get bouquets from family and friends :D:D

lol, that's a good one deisemum, whatever gets ye through I suppose!! It's a good analogy though, I really found it helpful to try and have something to think about other than the contractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Adrienne - Holles St allowed me go 14 days over! You get a lovely pudding of a baby as a result!

I believe Michael Guiney's are the best value for the Cellular blankets and muslin squares. Thats so long as your not a bit embarrassed going in.

• Advertisement

That feckin Guineys! They would put the baby stuff at the top of the building. What a dump! However have to agree worth it for the prices. Muslin squares 3 for €3 and all sizes of cellular blankets, cheaper than dunnes and better colours. ( Not that I know what they are for?) Bought 3 pkts of muslin squares but had to get the girl to show me where they were as I didn't know what I was looking for :o

They have things called baby wraps too which are very cheap and 100% cotton. When do you use them?

Think the baby wraps are for swaddling the baby... It's supposed to be good... must head in there and get some muslin squares.

The cellular blankets are a lot more breathable than the fleece ones, as they trap air in the "cells" of the blanket. A baby can overheat more easily in a fleece blanket as they are generally made of synthetic fabrics - every cellular blanket I ever had is a cotton mix.

Overheating newborns is best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Grawns wrote: »
    ( Not that I know what they are for?) Bought 3 pkts of muslin squares but had to get the girl to show me where they were as I didn't know what I was looking for :o

The muslin squares were always called vomit cloths in our house. That should give you an idea what they're for. :p Over the shoulder when you're carrying baba around, wiping up spit, catching leaks etc. Very versatile yokies... i'm pretty sure I still have a few of them under the kitchen sink.

Muslin squares = Barf blankets! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

We call 'em spit rags round these parts. Must stock up on some fresh ones. Ugh, I'm so unprepared for this baby it isnt funny, just don't have the energy to shop :eek:

Used the white and the lemon muslin squares from Mothercare. My advice is ....Avoid the lemon ones like the plague. When damp the dye transfers onto anything they touch. Bloody annoying.

+1 about the fleece blanket too. I've always used them as buggy blankies but never in bed. I covered her in her buggy during a nap in a restaurant recently for 30 minutes and she woke screaming and so drenched with sweat that I had to strip and change her head to toe. I got the fright of my life and it wasn't even warm in there! I'll never again let her sleep with that blanket.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey,
    I noticed that Tesco were selling Muslin squares and they were a lot cheaper than Mothercare...

Advertisement