Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords - Drogheda

Options
  • 29-11-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

My car just failed its NCT on emissions, so I've to pick some that engine cleaner stuff:D. Does anyone know when Halfords in Drogheda opens on a Sunday?
    Emissions were off the scale!

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes

10am - 6pm.

Google is a great thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Google is a great thing :D
    I tried couldn't find it.......i did try:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I tried couldn't find it.......i did try:D

Sure..................I believe you ;)

BTW if emmisions were off the scale i doubt any engine cleaner like STP is going to do you any good.

It might be a lamba sensor or the catalitic convertor or just in dire need of a good servicing.

Get in into a good garage with emissions testing equipment and get them to at least find the problem and then will you know the horrors of the price to fix it.

Remember, a cat could be picked up in a scrap yard and a lamba sensor can be picked up for around €75 new and fitted for around €45.

I got these prices recently for a 98 Astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

The stuff u want to get is Dipetaine e7.50 a bottle and the gods swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Sure..................I believe you ;)

BTW if emmisions were off the scale i doubt any engine cleaner like STP is going to do you any good.

It might be a lamba sensor or the catalitic convertor or just in dire need of a good servicing.

Get in into a good garage with emissions testing equipment and get them to at least find the problem and then will you know the horrors of the price to fix it.

Remember, a cat could be picked up in a scrap yard and a lamba sensor can be picked up for around €75 new and fitted for around €45.

I got these prices recently for a 98 Astra.

Yea its the 1st step, the cleaner- then will check emission.
    If it doesn't work, I'll try and clean out the converter with some paraffin:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Yea its the 1st step, the cleaner- then will check emission.
    If it doesn't work, I'll try and clean out the converter with some paraffin:eek:

Who told you to clean the cat convertor with parrifin ???

Parrifin is a bit of a waxxy clingy stuff and might take maybe a longer time to burn off in a cat convertor and it will risk to leave behind a lot of sooty crap which is the stuff your trying to get out of the convertor in the first place

I would have thought that something like methanlated spirts or Ethanol would be better or something more volitile that will evaporate off of its own accord and not leave behind crap

To keep my cat convertor in best shape (petrol cars only ) I just put more E85 fuel through the engine such as using ~30% E85 and ~70% petrol in the tank mixxed

Diesel cars only hope is to increase cetane levels with a cetane booster product .Bad diesel like red stuff or treated stuff where red dye is removed can **** the cat convetor

If your car ever got stuck in a dep river water and water went into cat convertor the cat convertor is shagged (My cousin sold his heap and stiffed the other twot after he got stuck in a river bank overflow which stopped the car and fuched the Cat convertor so it was better and cheaper to sell than replace the cat convertor )

Some non flex fuel cars like mine can take high levels of E85 like 100% and some newwer ones can barely tolerate 10% ethanol in the fuel.Ethanol burns more cleanly than petrol and help clean the engine and has other benifits

some details in this link
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58084110#post58084110

If your engines rockers valves seating are worn they will be pumping lots of toxic gasses into the exhast so cleaners wont do much good

If the engine is diesel and the injectors are shagged the emmision will be off the scales ( Often cheaper to buy a new car than a new set of injectors )
    If your piston rings are worn and your burning oil the cleaner will probably not change anything

If your spark plugs are shagged the emmisions will be pretty bad

If your fuel setting is too rich maybe because oxygen sensor is shagged or dirty or maybe the air filter is clogged up then cleaner wont do much good

If your head gasket is blown the emmisions will often tend to be very bad

What make and age and mileage is the car .Some makes are not worth spending the money to NCT on especialy some Fiat models

Tricks that help marginal cars to pass the test .Take the car for a good burn down along road like the main road to Dublin Limerick Dublin Belfast whatever a few days before test to blow out any carbon deposits in engine and cat convetors .Putting a liter of E85 into 5 liters of normal petrol will help clean things for petrol cars

Then take the car for a good drive before the test to get engine and cat convertor hot as possible so they work tip top when doing the test

Mbost cars even new ones would probaly fail the NCT if the engine is cold when doing the test

Lots of taxi drivers swear by a bottle of Dipetaine put in the tank a few hours before test and make sure tank is only 1/4 full or better even less like 2/5 th or 1/5th

Is your engine making a lot of rattling noises .Is your engine oil dirty and got specks of water in it .When was the last proper service .Is your oil level good .Is your oil pressure light on and if it is then oil filter might be clogged up .Is your car an import job and has been built for lowwer specs and possibly can never pass a NCT here .Is there lots of smoke coming out the exhast with strong smell of unburnt fuels or stroong smell of burnt oil.Do you need to add lots of oil to keep oil level up.Is the MPG not very good.Does the engine take along time to heat up.

Lots of info needed to say where is the problem

But you would be amazed what crap clapoped out engines can be made to pass the NCT when the mechanic is selling his own heap

I seen things and tricks

Derry

Advertisement