Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patriotism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I amazed at people thinking that it's better in the UK? Or that irish independence has some how failed?

The whole reason for shopping in NI is because the UK pound is so weak, Irish banks are in a poor way but UK banks have actually folded. For the first time in the history of the Irish state we are experiencing negative equity, they have it every 15-20 years in the UK.

Judging by the increase in English accents in Ireland i would say they are not of the opinion that Ireland has failed.

Boom and Bust , are normal economic cycles, this is a recession in the whole of the western world not something created by irish politics.
    It's amazing how so many Irish people feel some how inferior to everyone else.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

BryanL wrote: »
    Why is it unpatriotic to shop in Northern Ireland, while in the Republic we shop in Tesco's,marks and spencers, Debenhams and read the dailymail,the sun etc without comment or concern re our patriotism?
    Is every action that generates tax revenue patriotic?
    Bryan

Simple: it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I amazed at people thinking that it's better in the UK? Or that irish independence has some how failed?

The whole reason for shopping in NI is because the UK pound is so weak, Irish banks are in a poor way but UK banks have actually folded. For the first time in the history of the Irish state we are experiencing negative equity, they have it every 15-20 years in the UK.

Judging by the increase in English accents in Ireland i would say they are not of the opinion that Ireland has failed.

Boom and Bust , are normal economic cycles, this is a recession in the whole of the western world not something created by irish politics.
    Bryan

The Irish government has had a very very easy time of it lately, now is the time when we will see just how good they are and, to be honest, I have absolutely no confidence that they will get it right. They ****ed up the boom, so who is to say they won't **** up the bust as well.

That said, I have more confidence in Biffo than I had in Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Biggins wrote: »
    Cowan says its unpatriotic yet he and his cronies refuses to enact measures that allows millions of euro every month to be exported out of the country by foreign nationals that have their children actually living abroad in their home country,having never set foot here! I call his lack of action in that area alone unpatriotic - when he gets his act together in a number of areas, then he can throw the first stone. Till then he and F.F. can get lost! Roll on the next election.

First thing I would say is having grown up in an area where emigration was rife (and probably will be again), where my father worked in the UK, the fact that those that emigrated sent home money kept a lot of families afloat.
    Thus I have no problem with immigrants to this country doing the same.
    They are contributing to this country, often a lot more, than some of the whingers who are drawing the dole before they manage to blow it at the bookies.

Back to topic.
    The government have a neck telling the ordinary people that should make sacrifices to firstly help feather the nests of some of the retailers who have been screwing us royally over the last year or so and secondly to contribute towards a government and public sector hierarchy that have wasted such collosal quantities of money over the last few years.

These ministers and their lackies can probably siphon off a few quid through their bloated expenses for their christmas costs. They don't need to worry about mundane things such as road tax costs or pensions disappearing.
    Afterall joe public pay for them.

Maybe our finance minister should be treated to a dose of reality.
    Resorting to the patriotic call is a new low and indeed the last refuge of the scoundrel.
    Perhaps he should ask Harney, the board of Fás, and Roddy Molloy to be patriotic and pay back all the money they have wasted either themselves or through their inept actions and oversights.

Then I just might consider not buying my electronics from Germany, my books from UK and my drink & groceries from NI.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Nah, its not failed. It comes in cycles these cross-border shopping things. Only a few years ago we had northern shoppers flocking down here as sterling was very strong. (and petrol was cheaper here for a long time)

Retailers are still ripping people off down here even if rate was 67p and its both British and Irish based retailers who are at it.

Regarding patriotism, shopping over the border is still Ireland in my view, i'm helping fellow Irish people who live there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dresden8 wrote: »
    Well done. You're right, we should fuck more employees out on the street, not bankers, developers, landowners and politicians.

How could I have been so shortsighted?
    Did I mention we should sack them? No. I said they are looking for money before, and are still looking for money when times are tight for everyone else.

I say no wage increase from those on the starter wage, to the highest earners in the government. Why don't I just say to limit the funds each department gets? Because Ronnie gets a 'golden handshake' worth at least €300,000, whilst 52 FAS people get the boot with no compensation, as FAS needs to "save money". Wish they though about saving money when senior FAS officials were jetting around :rolleyes: If they want so badly to be paid the same as the private sector, I say yes, lets cut the wage down a small bit?

As for the bankers, developers, landowners and politicians, they're all private.

None of the banks have, IIRC, received any money, as none have gone down the drain yet. The developers were given money, to try to keep the construction workers in a job. The landowners will continue to make money from the luas, and roads yet to be built. As for the politicians, who have risen their own pay by voting amongst themselves, they should get a 15% pre-tax salary cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

jmayo wrote: »
    Then I just might consider not buying my electronics from Germany, my books from UK and my drink & groceries from NI.

Whats that :rolleyes:

I'm of to Newry soon 4 a TV + pressies, what, with a weak Pound + VAT at only 15% ....... :D

Cant go wrong really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The powers that be, particularly the Fed in the US, Wall Street, and bankers wordwide maniplulated the cycles and did not allow a recession a few a years ago, instead they inflated the economies with even more credit and we are now all paying the price. I recall some economists a few years ago saying that boom and bust cycles were a thing of the past. So called experts. I find it truly amazing that Irish politicians and others think that people should shop in Ireland with the massively high prices and be patriotic. So people have less money but should blow it here for no value instead of going to NI to get the best deal and avail of a weaker sterling ( its not often that happens). Dream on BIFFO.

My son bought a magazine the other day and the stg price was £3.99 but the newsagent charged 6.8 euro, in reality it should be about 4.80 euro, so whats the 2 euro on top for? There should be law against that type of rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Why is it unpatriotic to shop in Northern Ireland, while in the Republic we shop in Tesco's,marks and spencers, Debenhams and read the dailymail,the sun etc without comment or concern re our patriotism?
    Is every action that generates tax revenue patriotic?
    Bryan

Its not unpatriotic to shop in the north, its only unpatriotic to be partitionist. If retail stores here don't drop their prices in the current climate there will be an inevitable exodus north to do shopping particularly around Christmas. If people are harder up of course they'll chase the bargains where they can get them and who can blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Its not unpatriotic to shop in the north, its only unpatriotic to be partitionist.

There is nothing unpatriotic in accepting that Northern Ireland is a different country and will remain so until the people in that country change their minds.

Something that I can't see happening any time soon.

Riv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its not unpatriotic to shop in the north, its only unpatriotic to be partitionist.

But, Erin Go Brath, is not going to shop up the north admitting the existence of a separate British state on the island of Ireland, with different laws and cultures? Tut tut, what has happened the hard core ignorant nationalism us realists have come to adore?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd be really, really happy if we didn't turn this thread into a debate on the politics of Northern Ireland.

kthxbye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Under EU rules: you can shop where ever you like, North or South. He (Brian Cowan) may call you unpatriotic but he shooting himself in the foot. You can shop where you like. If he (Brian Cowan) harasses you, you can complain to the EU Commission where they can refer him the ECJ for breach of the EU Competition rules.

Instead of increasing VAT, he should have reduce it to help shoppers and business and the economy.

As someone else have mentioned earlier which I agree with, you have a patriotic duty to provide for your family first in these economic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

turgon wrote: »
    But, Erin Go Brath,Tut tut, what has happened the hard core ignorant nationalism us realists have come to adore?

do you mean, John Hume or Ivan Cooper? The most hardcore nationalists this country has produced?

I hardly think either could be prefaced by "Ignorant"

Interestingly, Humes company ,Atlantic harvest did well from trading with the republic.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I for one cannot comprehend why many retailers and business cannot or will not try and compete on price and incentives for customers, instaed of whinging about lack of patriotism. Why should goods be so much more expensive here than other EU nations allowing for the 21.5% vat here of course? We pay more for home heating oil,gas,coal,food, and most other goods with little or no exception. Businesses have become so lazy and uncompetitive( if they ever were competitive in the first place) thats the real problem. Just yesterday the drinks industry announced a freeze on drinks prices for a year, not any reduction mind. How is that competitive?

Advertisement