Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clue less

Options
  • 29-11-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a R4DS for my daughters wii...does that make sence.Im looking for something that will allow me do for the wii what I can do for the DS.
    Can anyboady tell me what it is I need, and where to get it.
    thanks,
    cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Unfortunately its not so easy for the wii as it is for the DS. There is no R4 for the wii, instead you have to have a special chip (modchip) physically installed on the wii's motherboard. This involves opening the wii up and soldering wires etc. There are people on these forums who can do it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sub5

yup animax is right,
    to be able to play backups on the wii you need to get a modchip installed. In my opinion (if you are getting a mod) go for a D2Pro. I dont know how many of these bad boys I've fitted in the last year but one thing i know is that i haven't had 1 of these returned to me for been faulty. Its a great little chip altogether.
    post back here if you have anymore questions or feel free to PM me anything

hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Discussing methods to circumvent copy protection is not allowed here. Please read the charter here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Circumvent Copyright protection deals with getting around copyright protection on disks (eg. Answering how to copy a DVD, or how to copy a 360 game would be breach of the charter has they have copyright protection to stop this) The wii also has this feature built into discs so it would be a breach of the charter to talk about copying them too, but nobody is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

This is my last posting on this as I am not interested in an argument at the moment.

This thread is about using a mod chip for a Wii to enable playing backed up games. This is against charter.
    1. Posting about Warez.
    This means that if you post anything on how to obtain, copy, hax0r, backup, get a serial number for or otherwise copy or circumvent copy protection. We don't care if you want to back up your perfectly legal copy of The Sims. Copying protected cd's is off-topic anyway. There is a zero tolerance for this. If you break this rule, you will be permanently banned and your post will be edited and/or deleted.
    I thought I made it quite clear. I guess I was wrong. Indefinite bans for any discussion about backed up or backing up games.

"WAAA WAAA! WHAT IF I OWN TEH GAME!? WHAT IF IT'S A FEATURE OF THE MOD? ISN'T THIS ALLOWED IN THE CONSOLE MODDING FORUM? WAAA WAA!"

Shut up. Back up = warez. End of.

Both of these quotes are from stickies in this forum and are both from AMP. This is pretty clear.
    • Even IF the OP has backed up their own games, this would most probably circumvent the copy protection.
    • The Wii Mod circumvents copy protection by allowing "backed up games" to play without the copy protection in place.

As in charter, there is a zero tolerance with this and brings with it a perm ban.

• Advertisement

IrishTLR wrote: »
    This is my last posting on this as I am not interested in an argument at the moment.

This thread is about using a mod chip for a Wii to enable playing backed up games. This is against charter.
    1. Posting about Warez.
    This means that if you post anything on how to obtain, copy, hax0r, backup, get a serial number for or otherwise copy or circumvent copy protection. We don't care if you want to back up your perfectly legal copy of The Sims. Copying protected cd's is off-topic anyway. There is a zero tolerance for this. If you break this rule, you will be permanently banned and your post will be edited and/or deleted.
    I thought I made it quite clear. I guess I was wrong. Indefinite bans for any discussion about backed up or backing up games.

"WAAA WAAA! WHAT IF I OWN TEH GAME!? WHAT IF IT'S A FEATURE OF THE MOD? ISN'T THIS ALLOWED IN THE CONSOLE MODDING FORUM? WAAA WAA!"

Shut up. Back up = warez. End of.

Both of these quotes are from stickies in this forum and are both from AMP. This is pretty clear.
    • Even IF the OP has backed up their own games, this would most probably circumvent the copy protection.
    • The Wii Mod circumvents copy protection by allowing "backed up games" to play without the copy protection in place.

As in charter, there is a zero tolerance with this and brings with it a perm ban.

You are qouting things out of context, eg your last line, I've highlighted what the context that line was said in in your qoute.

Maybe subways post is overstepping the line because he mentioned backups, but the thread overall is not breaking any rules

Also, did you just chose to ignore this part? (from the sticky you linked to)
    However, discussion of mod-chips is acceptable because modifying hardware you own is still legal. The day that it becomes illegal to connect a chip to some hardware I own is the day I start smashing consoles outside Garda stations shouting "HOWDYA LIKE THESE MODIFICATIONS!?!"

We are well aware that one function of some mod chips is to make copying games easier. Talking about that is no different to any other warez discussion and will be pounced upon with severity.

While discussions of mod-chips are acceptable, they are more suitable to the Console Modding forum, and threads may be moved there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

sub5 wrote: »
    yup animax is right,
    to be able to play backups on the wii you need to get a modchip installed. In my opinion (if you are getting a mod) go for a D2Pro. I dont know how many of these bad boys I've fitted in the last year but one thing i know is that i haven't had 1 of these returned to me for been faulty. Its a great little chip altogether.
    post back here if you have anymore questions or feel free to PM me anything

hope it helps

Take a month off. no discussing back ups at all. It's made pretty clear in the stickies above.
    IrishTLR wrote: »
    Discussing methods to circumvent copy protection is not allowed here. Please read the charter here and here

I appreciate the quoting of the stickies as people clearly don't forking read the things. Use the report post button the next time though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

eh...I want to be able to put pictures of her dog on it....let her watch a video of Santa leaveing her presents......She uses it for games to.....bu not that often.
    cathy

The Wii photo channel will handle photos

Installing the homebrew channel and using a media player will be enough to get videos going.

Cant answer the games comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Thanks for that.Lat year she wanted a R4 .One of the saints from boards talked me through it step by step, I think he grew a white beard and started to drink pints of milk by the time we where finished. Anyway it was a great christmas present.It was a very very happy Christmas with a worn out insomniac mam...

thanks again, cathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

cathy01 wrote: »
    eh...I want to be able to put pictures of her dog on it....let her watch a video of Santa leaveing her presents......She uses it for games to.....bu not that often.
    cathy

If its just pictures and vids the Wii takes normal SD cards which you can put whatever you want on!

Advertisement