Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Lovin'

Options
  • 29-11-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Semester 1 exams coming in again, time to think of something brighter.
    Personally I wouldn't mind going somewhere else to live and work for the summer, not really much of an idea where though :confused:
    Last year I had 3 holidays and got a got a fair amount of work in, so something similar wouldn't be unwelcome :D

What are people's general outline plans for summer 09?
    Is Vancouver going to be a UCD hot spot again this year?
    Anyone think they'll be doing something unique or unusual?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Noooooooooo!

Don't do the same old "I went away for a summer to Canada/America and worked". It's so unoriginal and uncreative.

I had one uncreative summer and two creative one's. Inter railing (though it was fabulous) was my "Everyone's doing this" summer. And then China and Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan were my "Hurray I'll be like Dora"

And do people even know what they're gonna do this summer?! I graduate so I dunno if it counts :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Im going to the USSR next thursday. Im doing summer in December. Only it will be freezing cold

BTW, what makes China so creative Gubbs ??? I know tons of people who slip a visit to China into their far east plans.

I will grant you Kazakhstan as the most creative Summer destination I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Het-Field wrote: »
    Im going to the USSR next thursday. Im doing summer in December. Only it will be freezing cold

BTW, what makes China so creative Gubbs ??? I know tons of people who slip a visit to China into their far east plans.

I will grant you Kazakhstan as the most creative Summer destination I have ever seen.

Taking this from the very nerdy perspective, you know "a ton" of people, ie over 907kg of people, or 12 people who have been to China. On your scale, I know 5 tonnes of people who have done J1's

So proportionally, it's more creative.

When you say you're going to the USSR, do you mean you're going to Russia, or are you going to fight for South Ossetia? Or go looking for gas in the Ukraine? Or have you just got some friends in Latvia? Cos maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought there was no USSR

gubbie wrote: »
    Taking this from the very nerdy perspective, you know "a ton" of people, ie over 907kg of people, or 12 people who have been to China. On your scale, I know 5 tonnes of people who have done J1's

So proportionally, it's more creative.

When you say you're going to the USSR, do you mean you're going to Russia, or are you going to fight for South Ossetia? Or go looking for gas in the Ukraine? Or have you just got some friends in Latvia? Cos maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought there was no USSR

This highlights the intrinsic benefit of an Arts Degree.

It allows one to use words in a non literal capacity, and it ensures that one can consider a former entity to still exist, as a result of the practices carried out within "state borders"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Noooooooooo!

Don't do the same old "I went away for a summer to Canada/America and worked". It's so unoriginal and uncreative.

If we're doing UCD boards awards again this year, I nominate that for the most pretentious twattle.

OP, do/go whatever/where ever you'll have the most fun. Personally I loved San Diego and wouldn't recommend Australia or South America until after you've finished college - its very much an older backpackers scene.

The most annoying gobshítes you will meet on your travels will be those who say that you're not doing it right. South east asia was full of these know it all hypocrites.

That being said, if you actually want to travel in order to experience other cultures and get the authentic experience/feel for a country or region, then going in smaller groups off the beaten trail is the way to go.

gubbie, a ton of people, how childish. And Het-Field, the USSR is gone and 'that one can consider a former entity to still exist, as a result of the practices carried out within "state borders",' is a very arrogant and misinformed comment.

I was in the USSR, but I say USSR only because I'm kool. Damn it, if only Id said CCCP, then I'd be super cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I saw a bit of the "J1 Summer" documentary on RTE. And there I was thinking a J1 was a student work visa, eh?

To me the question is not "what can I do?" but "what can I afford?". You can go anywhere, and do anything, for any amount of time, if you (or your parents) are happy to throw money at the problem. Otherwise, if the work doesn't pay well enough to cover all the costs of travel & rent etc., what's the point?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

The people I was living with on my J1 were on the grant. The "documentary" is about ratings, it has no mandate to be objective.

If we're doing UCD boards awards again this year, I nominate that for the most pretentious twattle.

OP, do/go whatever/where ever you'll have the most fun. Personally I loved San Diego and wouldn't recommend Australia or South America until after you've finished college - its very much an older backpackers scene.

The most annoying gobshítes you will meet on your travels will be those who say that you're not doing it right. South east asia was full of these know it all hypocrites.

That being said, if you actually want to travel in order to experience other cultures and get the authentic experience/feel for a country or region, then going in smaller groups off the beaten trail is the way to go.

gubbie, a ton of people, how childish. And Het-Field, the USSR is gone and 'that one can consider a former entity to still exist, as a result of the practices carried out within "state borders",' is a very arrogant and misinformed comment.

I was in the USSR, but I say USSR only because I'm kool. Damn it, if only Id said CCCP, then I'd be super cool.

I grew up saying USSR, and I have always found it difficult to change my ways. Add to that Belarus's virtual strict adherence to Russia, the activities towards many Ukranian politicians, the attitudes of the South Ossetians and a variety of other sepratist movememnts, and the very developing nature of Russia, I still believe that there is still time before a full free and independent set of states is in existence.

You subsequent comment is no less childish then Gubbie's references to the "Ton"

However, I do agree with your sentiment about doing what one wants to do. I found Gubbie's comments disagreeable and pretentious

Het-Field wrote: »

You subsequent comment is no less childish then Gubbie's references to the "Ton"

You're obviously not kool enough to understand :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wise-one

Just wondering has anyone ever lived anywhere nice in Europe with good nightlife???
    Looking to go away for June and July living and working somewhere in Europe and hopefully make enough money for interrailing....any suggestions?? thanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've never seen such a depressingly pedantic thread about summer holiday plans. Was the first line of the OP not "time to think of something brighter"?

Hopefully if I scrimp and save and somehow get some temporary work in the summer, I can make a few weeks away somewhere, most likely New York and the general US east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Wise-one wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever lived anywhere nice in Europe with good nightlife???
    Looking to go away for June and July living and working somewhere in Europe and hopefully make enough money for interrailing....any suggestions?? thanx
    Salamanca in Spain is not to shabby for nightlife, I think I read somewhere that it has the second highest bar to person ratio in Europe and it's full of Americans learning Spanish in the summer because that region is meant to have the purest form of Spanish, it's a nice place too. I'm not sure about getting a decent paying job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

POLSKA IS NOT THE USSR :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

just to state that,when ya are around South East Asia,

1)try curry/sambal/spicy dishes
    2)To the Scuba Diving spot/beaches!!!!
    3)To the Scuba Diving spot/beaches!!!!
    4)To the Scuba Diving spot/beaches!!!!

i almost laughed my head off when i heard two people that i know went to south east asia - one get sick when they are back due to food,one disgusted by the old village stay/visit ,some people really pick the worst place to visit and come back said they are sh!te places....oh jesus...how i miss the food and beaches!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I will do nothing. Going away is one of those things people think they have to do, and regret after about a week and a half when they can't buy Tayto anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

Noooooooooo!

I had one uncreative summer and two creative one's. Inter railing (though it was fabulous) was my "Everyone's doing this" summer. And then China and Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan were my "Hurray I'll be like Dora"

And do people even know what they're gonna do this summer?! I graduate so I dunno if it counts :confused:

outstanding!

Advertisement