Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question-star rider course

• 30-11-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Got my restricted A licence last xmas and never got round to actually learning how to use it as in ride lol! I was just looking online and I saw the star rider programme from fingal co. council recommended. But when I went on their site the page is down and there's no info. Does anyone know if this is still going and if so more importantly what's the cost involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

Yes, the courses are still running, I did the Silver course (12 hrs) in October.

Not sure about the cost of all the course types, but the Silver cost 225 euro. There's an extra charge (100 euro I think) if you need to rent a bike from them as well. Course was great, well worth the few bobs.

Give the Road Safety Officer in Fingal Co Co a bell at 01 890 5824 for all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

gipi wrote: »
    Yes, the courses are still running, I did the Silver course (12 hrs) in October.

Not sure about the cost of all the course types, but the Silver cost 225 euro. There's an extra charge (100 euro I think) if you need to rent a bike from them as well. Course was great, well worth the few bobs.

Give the Road Safety Officer in Fingal Co Co a bell at 01 890 5824 for all the info you need.

Thanks Gipi, that's good to hear another positive recommendation I'm sure I'll defo go with them now. The silver course is the one I'm interested in too. I know they have a bronze course for complete beginners (which in all honesty I am) but do you think is it possible to do the silver as I'd hope to pick it up pretty quick and would prefer not to have to pay for two courses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

they actually recommend youo do the silver course - i had a great instructor - fella called tom kelly - he instilled a real love of bikesinto me - one of the coolest guys i've ever met - great photographer as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi Guys,

The star-rider course, would this be the same as mrtg.ie course? I'm looking to do one before I start on bikes.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

jayok wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The star-rider course, would this be the same as mrtg.ie course? I'm looking to do one before I start on bikes.

Thanks.

You won't get 12 hours training from any of those instructors on mrtg for the price that starrider charge.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, I've just sent off my application form and cheque 2 days ago so I can't wait! And I do have a wait...seems it will be late feb, early march before next course but it's something to look forward to and it should be great!

jimmay wrote: »
    Thanks Gipi, that's good to hear another positive recommendation I'm sure I'll defo go with them now. The silver course is the one I'm interested in too. I know they have a bronze course for complete beginners (which in all honesty I am) but do you think is it possible to do the silver as I'd hope to pick it up pretty quick and would prefer not to have to pay for two courses!

Hey Jimmay, sorry took so long to get back to you! Glad that you've taken the first step to the course!

There was one person on my Silver course who had no biking experience - although she had done either 1 or 2 hr lesson with an instructor (not one of those on the course if I recall) before she came to the course in Fingal. She got the training she needed to be able to get out on the road in the 12 hours (spending a lot more time in the car park than those of us with a bit more experience).

It would help the instructors (and yourself) if you even squeezed in an hour's class sometime before you do the Silver course.
    Good luck with it!

gipi wrote: »
    Hey Jimmay, sorry took so long to get back to you! Glad that you've taken the first step to the course!

There was one person on my Silver course who had no biking experience - although she had done either 1 or 2 hr lesson with an instructor (not one of those on the course if I recall) before she came to the course in Fingal. She got the training she needed to be able to get out on the road in the 12 hours (spending a lot more time in the car park than those of us with a bit more experience).

It would help the instructors (and yourself) if you even squeezed in an hour's class sometime before you do the Silver course.
    Good luck with it!

Cool hopefully there'll be a girl or two on my course :D mmm ye it would be helpful if I squeezed in 3 hours before I do the course but it's the damn price of them lessons 70 blips an hour....that's the whole reason I'm doin the course....€325 for 12 hours on their bike seems awesome value!

jimmay wrote: »
    Cool hopefully there'll be a girl or two on my course :D mmm

tee hee, we all look the same with helmets on!! :D

Me again, I haven't heard from these guys yet...I was originally told I think around March...have other people been waiting that long!? I hope they haven't forgot about me ;) I think I'll give them a call next week.

Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement