Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little bit annoyed

Options
  • 30-11-2008 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Just on the way back from town there, Traffic Corps at the end of the road I live on, I indicated and approached the Garda anyway pointing, he just waved me on.

Now fair play for being out there in the freezing feckin cold, but you could at least breathalyse everyone as opposed to leaving people off just because they're turning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Could it be that they had their ten cars or whatever for that test? As I understand it, they pull a certain number of cars, do them, and then pull the next lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

It's random breath testing. You probably just weren't picked. How do you know they let you off because you were turning? You're basing your conclusion on a sample of 1.

People complain when they get breathalysed. People complain when they don't get breathalysed. The Gardai can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im on the way into Limerick in around 45 minutes to collect my OH.

I drive Limerick - Newport a lot and never ever see the cops and I collect "herself" most weekends from town.

Its crazy. If I drank at all and had one drink they would be everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

So you're annoyed because you weren't tested, knowing that you were sober?

Sad... IMHO :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fishtits wrote: »

Think harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I know I'm sober but the Garda didn't. If they let me off, there's an equal chance that someone who was steamed would have been let off.

I'm not the only one on here @1am on Sunday:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've a mate who is a traffic cop. According to him, if you roll down your window as you approach a checkpoint or have it rolled down, you are most likely not drinking.

If you leave it up, you are most likely hiding something!

Just back from Limerick. I was parked on William Street and when herself got into the car there were two Gardai walking up the street on patrol. They were eyeballing my car as I was pulling away.

That was it though. 30km round trip and nothing but taxi's and drunk to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just on the way back from town there, Traffic Corps at the end of the road I live on, I indicated and approached the Garda anyway pointing, he just waved me on.

Now fair play for being out there in the freezing feckin cold, but you could at least breathalyse everyone as opposed to leaving people off just because they're turning.

Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You have little to be concerned about if that annoys you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Just back from Limerick. I was parked on William Street and when herself got into the car there were two Gardai walking up the street on patrol. They were eyeballing my car as I was pulling away.

That was it though. 30km round trip and nothing but taxi's and drunk to be seen.

Funny that. My dad had two encounters with the Gardai tonight in Limerick, both in the space of 10 minutes.

He was on his way in from Shannon airport and was stopped and questioned on the Ennis road. Then the same again on Shelbourne road. Both encounters along the lines of "Whats your name" Where are you coming from" Where are you going"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Probably because you pointed?
    I'd imagine if you completely blanked the Garda and simple just turned looking nervous they would've pulled you, instinct I guess?
    Or the checkpoint could have been in place for something completely different, a white jeep or carvan involved in a burglary, hit and run etc..

No need to criticise the Garda either way, could be a number of reasons they let you on.

Fizman wrote: »
    Funny that. My dad had two encounters with the Gardai tonight in Limerick, both in the space of 10 minutes.

Your dad is of that age where people have a higher tendancy to drink and drive. Its painfully and true.

They normall ask you a question or two so that they can get you to open the window and smell your breath while you talk. Thats what a Garda said on here anyway and It makes sense. I was once asked to tell the Garda my license plate number. He said that most women and older men have no idea what their reg number is. I still cant believe that or is it just me? I cannot not know my reg number. I cant still remember my dads reg numbers from when I was 4 years old. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to say I haven't seen a checkpoint in months myself in the Meath/Cavan area... oh sure, Friday mornings (usually) there'll be a squad car camped out by the side of the (nice, wide stretch of the) N3 between Carnaross and Virginia, but that's about it!

I'd much rather have seen them out yesterday in the heavy fog giving the idiots driving around with little/no lights on a bollicking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Im on the way into Limerick in around 45 minutes to collect my OH.

I drive Limerick - Newport a lot and never ever see the cops and I collect "herself" most weekends from town.

Its crazy. If I drank at all and had one drink they would be everywhere.

I've the the lads out in action on the Newport road more time's than anyway where else. I drive out there maybe once or twice a week. Always seem to be outside the school/church bit of road there. I've seen them a good few times.

I only got asked for my licence once, and that was on a motorbike.

I've the the lads out in action on the Newport road more time's than anyway where else. I drive out there maybe once or twice a week. Always seem to be outside the school/church bit of road there. I've seen them a good few times.

I only got asked for my licence once, and that was on a motorbike.

Its a good spot because it doenst matter which way you are going you wont see them until its too late. The Newport road is also the main road to Thurles(Im sure you know) so it can be quite busy. Oddly enough the road out of newport heading towards Thurles is called the Cork Road. It does not go anywhere in the direction of cork. Silly Tipperary folk. :D

The Gardai used to do drive throughs where I live now. I presume it was to see who was moving in as there was somebody new nearly every week. They stopped at two of my neighbours houses to talk to them. One couple had a Punto with alloys, tint & exhaust and two motorbikes. The other couple had a Subaru Impreza WRX and a proper one not the make believe one. I never found out why he spoke to them but maybe he was laying down the local law to them.

Incidentally the Garda station is located on Jail Street in Newport. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

IThe Newport road is also the main road to Thurles(Im sure you know) so it can be quite busy. Oddly enough the road out of newport heading towards Thurles is called the Cork Road. It does not go anywhere in the direction of cork. Silly Tipperary folk. :D

That's true actually, never quite understood it :D

Been stopped at many checkpoints and been asked for my license.
    Never been breathalysed though even while others at the checkpoint were getting breathalysed.
    I've no doubt drink driving on motorbikes goes on but it can fecking difficult enough to control when sober so maybe the garda know from experience it's more unlikely then car drivers.
    Common sense would suggest so.

My father is a raving alcoholic and was done for drink driving twice!

I have seen the terrible effect alcohol can have on somebodies life and it still controls him to this day. He, in his defense, does not put a drink to his mouth if he is driving now which is some consolation to the rest of us. He will drive from Raheen to Corbally after work and get the bus back into town for a few pints and today now he will no doubt be heading in for the Sunday pint.

I hope the checkpoints catch people like my father. I hope they screw them to the wall and tear their licenses in court to pieces. I hope they are named and shamed. I hope that people will not die because of drink driving this Christmas and more than that I hope that people are not injured by driving driving so that they are crippled or lose a leg, arm or their sight.

Long story short, I despise my father for his drinking but his drinking has made me what I am today, disgusted by drinking habits of others. I drink and do get drunk but I choose when to go out, I choose when to drink and what to drink and sometimes I am even able to tell myself when one is too many.

Those who the checkpoints are for are not just driving a car they cannot control but they also cannot control themselves. They need help but they also need the full punishment of the law. :cool:

I hope the checkpoints catch people like my father. I hope they screw them to the wall and tear their licenses in court to pieces. I hope they are named and shamed. I hope that people will not die because of drink driving this Christmas and more than that I hope that people are not injured by driving driving so that they are crippled or lose a leg, arm or their sight.

Long story short, I despise my father for his drinking but his drinking has made me what I am today, disgusted by drinking habits of others. I drink and do get drunk but I choose when to go out, I choose when to drink and what to drink and sometimes I am even able to tell myself when one is too many.

Those who the checkpoints are for are not just driving a car they cannot control but they also cannot control themselves. They need help but they also need the full punishment of the law. :cool:

+1

I know it's a wierd thing to be annoyed about, but when they pull outside Arthurs' Quay they breathalyse everyone in each lane. It causes a tailback, but at least our roads are reliably known to be safer as opposed to going on assumptions.

+1

I know it's a wierd thing to be annoyed about, but when they pull outside Arthurs' Quay they breathalyse everyone in each lane. It causes a tailback, but at least our roads are reliably known to be safer as opposed to going on assumptions.

They dont catch many there because everyone knows they pull there because of the handy bus stop

• Advertisement

They dont catch many there because everyone knows they pull there because of the handy bus stop

You'd think, but because both approaches are one way there's no turnaround option, you have to go through once you come under the bridge or through the lights at Liddy Street.

They stopped at two of my neighbours houses to talk to them. One couple had a Punto with alloys, tint & exhaust and two motorbikes. The other couple had a Subaru Impreza WRX and a proper one not the make believe one. I never found out why he spoke to them but maybe he was laying down the local law to them.

I think i knows where you lives:D;)

I think i knows where you lives:D;)

PM Me your guess and I will possibly donate €1 to a charity.

PM Me your guess and I will possibly donate €1 to a charity.

I'd like to see proof of said donation:P

I'd like to see proof of said donation:P

You didnt answer fully. Narrow it done a little. There are currently 104 houses in that location.

Donation made

cow_donation_box.jpg

You didnt answer fully. Narrow it done a little. There are currently 104 houses in that location.

I'll meet you at Jacksie's :D:D

Advertisement