Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Setup - Opinions Please

Options
  • 30-11-2008 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Thinkin of going for this setup.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081201.p.TargaHighEndQuadCorePowerPC

I know the case is a bit naf but compared to what you have to spend for the equivelant at dell it looks like a bargain

and......

67605.JPG

Opinions please. Specifically in relation to the external HD. Can anyone rate these?? My main concern is reliablity as this will be my main backup.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have that external and it's great. If it's your main back up you may want to look at some sort of mirrored raid solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're gaming the card in the Lidl machine will need replacing straight away, more or less, unless you could tolerate low setting gaming on a brand new machine! It's advertised as a 512mb DDR2 card, which means the absolute best card it could possibly be is a 9500GT - in itself not a very good card, and in all likelihood that's not even the card in the machine. ]

You could build a better machine for the money, really - don't be so quick to assume it's a bargain just compared to Dell prices. Take a look at this build. Sure its 120 euro more expensive but:

-Better Case
    -Better Power Supply
    -Better Video Card
    -More Ram
    -More Hard Drive Space

Not to mention that Lidl machine would need a new graphics card anyway.

untitled-26.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Oh thanks AlmightyCushion, that suggetion about a mirrored raid is v.good. I think i heard that, that drive is in fact 2 500gb so it might work with that.

Hey TerrorFirmer,

Thanks for that man. So thats a Komplett setup which i would have to build myself. Thing is i don't have a lot of time with work n that. I have some knowledge, upgraded DVD drives and ram before but never built a complete system. Would it be something where i'd have to do a load of reading up on then tweaking when i finally got it build?? I know its not beyond my capabilites but if its something thats gonna take heaps of time it not really a solution for me a the mo.

Oh and Thanks Lads for your comments, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

its not that hard to build your own system..everything is mostly plug in..push in..fit..in..not alot of work and also you get the experience and you can save alot of cash and have better performance with your own build

there are plenty of videos on youtube where they show you how to build your computer just type in 'how to build your own pc' something like that,

it will take you around 2-4 hours maximum to have it up and running. getting your parts installed doesnt take much time its the windows instalation and driver installation that might take some time but thats about it.

the build that TerrorFirmer recomended is preatty solid, and if you are little bit more into gaming i would suggest investing in a hd4850 (around 150) or a hd4870(200-250) which have show great performance at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could build a better machine for the money, really - don't be so quick to assume it's a bargain just compared to Dell prices. Take a look at this build. Sure its 120 euro more expensive but:

-Better Case
    -Better Power Supply
    -Better Video Card
    -More Ram
    -More Hard Drive Space

Not to mention that Lidl machine would need a new graphics card anyway.

Yup. The difference in price between the komplett build and the lidl machine would be pretty much negated once you buy a new graphics card for the lidl machine. That komplett build would be the way to go.

• Advertisement

Hey,

This is what i went for in the end.

CORE-2-QUAD 4x2,4Ghz Q6600/ATI RADEON HD4870 512MB/500GB/4GB

and....

67605.JPG

Thanks to everyone for there advice and help!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

very good system for 1000 + with 22" monitor..thats a bargain.

good luck with your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Brilliant system there except the 4GB will only be of benefit to you if you use Vista Ultimate or Linux.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Brilliant system there except the 4GB will only be of benefit to you if you use Vista Ultimate or Linux.

Thanks man. I know, i picked up Vista Home Premium 64 SP1 on ankerman for that purpose.

82636 669.00 Euro 1 K 669.00 Euro CORE-2-QUAD 4x2,4Ghz Q6600/ATI RADEON HD4870 512MB/500GB/4GB
    48294 102.41 Euro 1 B 102.41 Euro MS WINDOWS Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit DSP DVD englisch

All in all the entire thing comes in at 1,179.83, which includes the two 22" monitors, Vista 64 bit, and the 1TB harddrive for backup. Great value. :D

Thanks Guys

Advertisement