Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

submission to marvel

Options
  • 30-11-2008 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

C.B.Cebulski sent me over some scripts to try out how my style would work with Marvel scripts etc, just wondering if I could get some advice.

right I got a few scripts. Hulk, two Spidermans (amazing/ultimate), Moonknight and Punisher.

now my style suits Punisher best but I was wondering do you think I'd be better off doing Moonknight? as in like do you think it might be better to tackle a less well known character in regards showing what I could do with lesser known character/ with Punisher I'd be view against a list of unreal artists.

also do you think it might be a good idea do do the submission in the marvel style? I can do it fairly ok but I did get the gig based on my own style.

also a friend told me that they are also looking at how fast I can get work back to them, is this true? cos I wouldnt mind putting some time into this obviously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

nicolo wrote: »
    also a friend told me that they are also looking at how fast I can get work back to them, is this true? cos I wouldnt mind putting some time into this obviously

That's usually the main point behind these types of submissions [they are normally called a style test, animation studios use them as well]. Looking through someones book gives an editor or art director an impression on wither they can draw but it doesn't tell them how quick they are - the work in their book could have taken them 5 minutes or 5 years, there's no way to tell and asking the artist is a waste as you can't trust wither they are telling the truth or not. If you can ask what turn around time they are looking for, it would be odd for them not to give you a rough time idea.

I would rec doing it in your own style as thats the style they saw in your book so thats what they are looking for. The best advice is to just do the pages in the style you are most comfortable with, theres no point in working in a way you don't like cus if you get hired you'll be expected to work in the same way and then you wouldn't be happy stuck doing something you dislike.

The Golden rule of illustration is if you submit 3 ideas, 2 of which you like and 1 you don't, the art director will always, without fail, pick the one you don't like. Comics is the same, show them 3 different styles and they will always pick the one you dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

ah great thanks man! yeah good advice. I'm thinking I'll do some of the spiderman one (cos the punisher script is terrible, hes only in it for 3 pages and he spends the whole time sitting) and I think I'll do something cool with the moonknight script and send that in later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zombiejoe

hay man,i got the same scripts as you,im pretty much stuck on all the scripts except that punisher one,cz i like the moody nick fury in it.how are you finding them?any chance you can post some of your art,id like to see what im up against!

Advertisement