Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you listen to a WWE Radio station show?

• 30-11-2008 7:57am

Would you listen to a radio station that had an hour or two (or three, whatever format they use) show based on WWE?

Eg: Playing WWE Theme music, discussing WWE events, wrestlers, etc?

The reason i ask is because i always wondered what something like that would be like. And i always kinda found it odd that WWE won't let radio stations play their music.

But, however, then i read an article (I don't have a link, as i can't remember where i read it) where Johnston said that Radio stations choose not to play WWE theme music because its seen as 'Promotional' music. I now find it really odd that radio stations, that would be more than able to play WWE stuff if they wanted to, aren't even bothered doing it :(

What would be required to actually play WWE themes? Contact them directly and ask for their permission? :confused:

So yeah.. not a great idea for a thread i know, but im legitimately curious.

Personally, easily 90% of what i listen to is WWE influenced in some way or another (Be it a theme for a wrestler, TV show, PPV, promo video, etc.), and i understand a majority of people probably aren't really into WWE themes, but i think they've got some good music. Particularly in the last few years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

They already had a radio station . Back around 1994 there was "Radio WWF" . They broadcast their PPVs , had interviews and all that lark. Royal Rumble 94 was called by Jim Ross and Monsoon I think. There was an extra announce table at WM10 and I think they also had it had the previous 2PPVs but Ive not seen them in years.

I can't really see the point to a radio show tbh. There was Livewire back in 96 which was a live "fans ring in and ask questions" kinda show on telly but they weren't sure how to handle it because of they wouldn't or couldn't decide wether or not they wanted to break kayfabe. There's songs that artists have written and/or sung for the WWF isnt there ? Triple H's theme is a Motorhead song, I'm sure that could get airplay. I don't know that there is a market (definately not in Ireland) for faux hard rock instrumentals.

As far as the "themes" , WWE would be the copyright owner and Jim Johnston is the composer. I'd assume that if you had a radio station and wanted to play an entrance theme royalties would need to be paid to the WWE and also Johnston possibly. Can't see why a radio station would want to do that - "hey here's an entrance theme tune to the new wwe champ....." .

If 90% of what you listen to is influenced by the WWE I think you could do well to broaden your scope of exposure to music man. There's more out there than the awful stuff WWE pedals on their PPVs.

Edit: I remember there being an old WWF music video. I saw it mid 90s on Sky 1, they had some habit of showing music videos during the night and up till about 7am I think. Vince and his boys used to have a relationship with music industry peeps in the 80s esp with MTV. Rock n Wrestling anyone ?

Well they still do Byte This! occassionally on WWE.com i believe?

Triple H's theme is a Motorhead song, I'm sure that could get airplay

But there are many other rasslers with themes that have other bands behind them. Don't get me wrong, Im sure that Motorhead are much more popular than Killswitch Engage, Finger Eleven and Airbourne and a lot of the other bands that WWE use that a lot of people would probably have never even heard of, but their music is still very good.

I'm sure the themes of Triple H, CM Punk, Batista, Kane (His Slow Chemical theme), Randy Orton, MVP, etc. could be very popular if they were used on radio. Even if people aren't really into the song the first time around, music tends to grow on people.

I used to work in a place where i was working about 5 feet from the radio. For the first few days i wanted nothing more than to hop it off the ground and set it on fire. But after a few days, i found myself humming along to some of the songs they were playing.

Right now I think Finger Eleven are the only non-WWE related people i listen to (I know that they have done stuff that was used for Kane, Benoit and Eddie, but what i mean is, i actually like their other music a lot, too). I like the odd song here and there by a few different random groups, but finger eleven are probably the only people were i like most of their stuff.

I'm sure the themes of Triple H, CM Punk, Batista, Kane (His Slow Chemical theme), Randy Orton, MVP, etc. could be very popular if they were used on radio. Even if people aren't really into the song the first time around, music tends to grow on people.

I'm not having a go here so don't take it personl but , so what if their theme tunes become popular ? Or "more" popular ? Who benefits ? It's hardly like you'll hear so and so's entrance theme on Rock FM and then think "ooh, must watch WWE today".
    That music gets a fair airing on television as it is. Radio can be used as a way for bands to get their music heard so that people buy their singles and albums and then of course go to their gigs. WWE isn't in the music business.

There have been cases of course when a TV show's theme music becomes a hit (Friends, X-Files, Big Brother) - gosh I'm old, can't even think of modern examples :o - but unless Vinny mac and Jimmy Johnnyston want to release each wrestlers theme as a single I can't see why they'd need radio exposure . Although, if they did want to push or promote a compilation album then the likes of Edge's music being played on radio could help but as you said, someone ata radio station says it's "promotional music" .

Seems like maybe it's a grey area but the WWE don't need their music to be popular per se unless they're selling an album. When was the last music album they did ? I got some Anthology 3disc thing from about 2002 . In fact I think I used Sid's theme music to edit a student music video to.

And for what it's worth I got into Metallica through Taker's old Kid Rock song that had sampled Sad But True. But that phase soon died and I found decent music :D

if their theme tunes become popular ? Or "more" popular ? Who benefits

WWE as a whole.

Don't you think that having WWE's theme music, be it performed by a band (Triple H, etc.) or by Johnston (Jesse And Festus, etc.) would be great exposure for WWE? I know it won't, as you say, make people tune in to their programming, but it would make the brand name more known globally if radio stations around the place did play some of their stuff.

Seems like maybe it's a grey area but the WWE don't need their music to be popular per se unless they're selling an album. When was the last music album they did ? I got some Anthology 3disc thing from about 2002

They release a few CDs. once a year usually (with the exception of 2005. I don't think they released on in 2005)

WWE Wreckless Intent - 2006
    WWE The Music: Volume 7 - 2007 - iTunes exclusive
    WWE The Music: Volume 8 - 2008

and they have WWE The Music: Volume 9 scheduled for January 2009.

I find it odd that WWE, themselves, do very little to try and promote their own CDs. Usually just a 5 second graphic on the screen of the cover of the CD when a wrestler is walking down the aisle (and provided his theme is on the CD).

I see what you're saying about exposure but I think they realise that the future is on the internet and that's where they're getting their exposure. WWE is a product, just as Metallica or Killswitch Engage are. I couldn't see anyone listening to WWE Radio around the clock. And I can't see why a mainstream radio station would play a wrestler's theme tune unless of course it's audience and WWE's audience were the same and there was a deal there somewhere so that WWE got a monetary royalty. But WWE is gearing itself towards kids isn't ? Can't see kids sitting down listening to radio , and you've to be 16+ to drive which is where a fair ammount of radio listening is done.

I don't know why they wouldn't promote and advertise the release of a CD , I'd guess that maybe costs are low, the music is technically already paid for so with whatever small advertising it gets they'll make a tidy profit without having to run radio+ or tv ads.

Chance yr arm, ring up one of our radio stations and see what they say.
    WWE having wrestling shows raises it's global presence, I can't see a theme tune playing on a radio station every now and then doing much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Would you listen to a radio station that had an hour or two (or three, whatever format they use) show based on WWE?

In a word:

No.

A few points why:

For one, i like music, i love music, i play music. WWE themes are not music, they are themes. They use a format different from songs.

If you go to a live show, either it be a bingo-style indy or a huge wrestlemania arena, the music is meant to provoke you into getting on your feet because it gives you anticipation for who is making their way to the ring.

Which means entrance music, particulary WWE made music has a high point about 10 or 15 seconds into the track, and its pretty much constant repetattiveness after that for another 3 minutes.
    Thats not usually how a structered song of the musical word goes.

I will make the point that there are a few entrance themes i have saved on my mp4 in playlists along with the respective bands (killswitch, motorhead) purely because i like the songs.
    As a bass player i like those kinda songs, for an example i love CM Punks this fire burns so much its my ring tone.

But back to the original question and im just going to re-hash what alan said, it wouldnt 'help' anyone as such.
    It would cost money and not make it. The only money in radio these days is advertisment and i cant see many companies requesting some commercial space.
    Come on, its not the 90s..
    B00032FNXO.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Simple answer - no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

NO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Even if they streamed it online, **** NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Not a hope, it was a boneheaded idea when they did it in 93 and it flopped within four months, granted that was more to keep the armed forces happy.

But no, if i wanted to listen to sh*tty WWE entrance themes, i'd use a media player to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I played a few WWE based songs when I was on UCC radio but never received any feedback on them, A couple I remember playing were Randy Ortons last theme , Batistas current theme and some ppv music, Light It Up,Summertime Blues, Leave The Memories Alone all good songs in their own right, but I cant see anybody playing Bret Hart or Mr Perfects theme on air for 3-4 minutes though, it gets as irritating as Final Fantasy music

I did once however play James Storms "Sorry Bout Your Damn Luck" theme as Machismo Fans request, his job was to test the cds after I put them together if i had work

Storms theme skipped half way through but he never told me, I played it on air as was the deal, it obviously start skipping leaving me scrabbling for another song on the spot

EdK wrote: »
    I played a few WWE based songs when I was on UCC radio but never received any feedback on them, A couple I remember playing were Randy Ortons last theme , Batistas current theme and some ppv music, Light It Up,Summertime Blues, Leave The Memories Alone all good songs in their own right, but I cant see anybody playing Bret Hart or Mr Perfects theme on air for 3-4 minutes though, it gets as irritating as Final Fantasy music

I just gotta say, Rush should be punished for that, and for every other song on that horrible cover albums. I love Rush, but dear jesus, Summertime Blues was an atrocity! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

NO. I'm already uninterested in Stephanie's latest attempt to take over RAW and the latest version of the McMahon family feud. I'm not interested in the on again, off again Edge-Vickie relationship and all the other current **** "storylines" That's all they would be using a radio show for. Advancing their storylines. The shows are boring as is and a radio show wouldn't help matters. Plus the entrance themes are already available on CD so playing WWE themes wouldn't be that interesting.

An independant radio wrestling show that covers WWE, TNA and local promotions [Ie. an Irish based wrestling radio program could discuss WWE,TNA, Irish Whip Wrestling and NWA-Ireland {and others if there are any other Ireland based wrestling leagues}] I would give it a try.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    An independant radio wrestling show that covers WWE, TNA and local promotions [Ie. an Irish based wrestling radio program could discuss WWE,TNA, Irish Whip Wrestling and NWA-Ireland {and others if there are any other Ireland based wrestling leagues}] I would give it a try.

There's already one, WWR but i think it can only be received in certain parts of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Thanks ShawnRaven. I didn't know that. I guess I can't receive it here in Kilkenny.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Thanks ShawnRaven. I didn't know that. I guess I can't receive it here in Kilkenny.

They may or may not stash a podcast version of it.
    Ask rovert about em, i know he's a big fan ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    They may or may not stash a podcast version of it.
    Ask rovert about em, i know he's a big fan ;)

At the end of the day no doubt about it:
    http://wwr.ie/

rovert wrote: »
    At the end of the day no doubt about it:
    http://wwr.ie/

This is wierd, I'm listening to their most recent show now.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I like em already! :D

Hehe, they sound like a coupla auld grandads whinging about the good old days and that Cena's ruined them. They've got lotsa good points.

" Not even Angle could get a win over this guy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Hehe, they sound like a coupla auld grandads whinging about the good old days and that Cena's ruined them. They've got lotsa good points.

" Not even Angle could get a win over this guy"

Woah, I remember them. I stayed well clear after hearing a few shows. They just don't get wrestling at all

On the subject of entrance themes, Austin said years ago in his documentary "Hell Yeah" that his theme came from a Rage Against the Machine song ? I've never come across a RATM song that sounded like his Breaking Glass music though. Anyone ?

On the subject of entrance themes, Austin said years ago in his documentary "Hell Yeah" that his theme came from a Rage Against the Machine song ? I've never come across a RATM song that sounded like his Breaking Glass music though. Anyone ?

The only link i have to Austin and RATM, is that horrible Oh Hell Yeah song that came out around 99-00 by H-Blockx (hey, remember those guys?) that was put on The Music volume 3 or 4 was redone in 06 by RATM.

After that, i'm lost.

Yeah it's on this one

B00001ZWHU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But there's a scene in Hell Yeah when he's driving in his truck and talking about his entrance music and he definately mentions RATM. It always bugged me, and that was made in early 99 it would've been as the center piece of it is the WM match with Rocky

Yeah it's on this one

B00001ZWHU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But there's a scene in Hell Yeah when he's driving in his truck and talking about his entrance music and he definately mentions RATM. It always bugged me, and that was made in early 99 it would've been as the center piece of it is the WM match with Rocky

This Austin theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_kvF61vxg

Is influenced by this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY

But Austin also says something to the effect of "And he altered the beat of the music, added the glass breaking and pretty much just made it (the music) his own".

If you listen to the music in the RATM song, you can kinda get Austins theme from it.

I cannot see any resemblance in RATM Killing in the name of, and austins theme. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Listen to Razor Ramons theme and then the Austin one. Some similarities there.

Listen to Razor Ramons theme and then the Austin one. Some similarities there.

If you play the guitar riffs on the same guitar through the same amp and effects set up a lot of the Attitude era themes sound very similar.

• Advertisement

If you play the guitar riffs on the same guitar through the same amp and effects set up a lot of the Attitude era themes sound very similar.

:pac:

Ive tried that.

Advertisement