Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philippines for two weeks?

• 30-11-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭

In Hong Kong at the moment and was supposed to be flying to Bangkok tomorrow which is most likely not gonna happen now. Anyway got cheap flights to Manila instead so heading there for two weeks. Anyone got any tips or a suggested itinerary. At the moment the only place I've heard of is Boracay and Cebu. Would be nice to get some experiences from others who have been there? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Have just been to Manila not that nice a city ok mabye for a day or two (check out the jeepney taxis there so cool). Anyone I met in Manila said all the island are savage. If you are into the diving they are supposedly the best in Asia. There is a real cheap airline called CEBU Pacific that fly from Hong Kong www.cebupacificair.com to a number of cities in the Philippines.

Just a btw there is a supposedly an Irish guy who runs a bar on one of the Southern Islands who claims to have fled Ireland to the Philippines a few years ago after robbing a bank in Dublin!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep have the flights booked with cebu already, didn't plan on spending too much time in Manila cos like you said it supposed to be a bit of kip. Definitely want to do some diving so will be looking out for some deals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

theres a great place located a little outside manila.Its a waterfall called pagsanjan,its really beautiful and its where part of apocalypse now was shot.You get brought in a boat down to it and on the way you see alot of filipinos who live along the river Using it for everyting.Fishing,bathing,washing clothes etc... its really interesting:D
    Hope you have a good time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Manila is a really run down city but the shopping is really good. You get a shock seeing security guards outside restaurants and bars with guns. It is a really poor country. The jeepneys are great and the Filopinos are very friendly and try to help you out. A lot have a good grasp of the English language and if they don't they'll find someone who does.

I spent two weeks diving there in May. I went to Moalboal on Cebu Island, Alona Beach in Bohol and Puerta Galera, Mindoro. I deliberately picked less touristy places. These places are really good to dive, especially Puerta Galera. The only draw back there was it's where all the sex tourists bring the Filopino girls. I found it very sad to see but the western men never bothered me(I was travelling on my own).

Boracay and Cebu town are the touristy places to go to (they have all the big resorts) and I hear the beaches in Boracuay are beautiful. (Every Filipino I've spoken to since have asked did I go there.) It just wasn't what I wanted to experience when I went there.

I had heard a lot about tourist kidnappings and bombings before I went but I felt safe pretty much all of the time. I think they thought I was some nutjob western girl travelling on her own!! The southern parts of the islands, around Davao are dangerous areas to go to. But if you stick to places like Boracay and Cebu you'll be okay.

Transport in The Philippines can take it's time - just to warn you. :)

Advertisement