Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avoiding VRT when living abroad.

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I'm in oz at the moment and considering getting a car over here with the cheap dollar and all.

I know that:

1 - You have to have the car registered in the country for 6 months and

2 - You have to be out of the country for 12 months

so . . .

How do I prove I was out of the country for 12 months, do flights do??

Any advice would be great, shipping and what not.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bills, bank statements, etc. will be asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

With the cost of cars in Ireland dropping at the moment would it be worth the cost (and bother) of transporting a car all the way from Australia?

Or if you still want to buy outside Ireland then maybe wait until you return from Australia and fly into the UK, pick up a car there and drive home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I'm in oz at the moment and considering getting a car over here with the cheap dollar and all.

I know that:

so . . .

You have to own the car for 6 months abroad where you are resident, i.e. living and working. When you come back you cannot sell that car for a further 12 months.

I believe an import from outside the EU would also incur a VAT charge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

craichoe wrote: »
    You have to own the car for 6 months abroad where you are resident, i.e. living and working. When you come back you cannot sell that car for a further 12 months.

I believe an import from outside the EU would also incur a VAT charge.

...and customs duty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

keefg wrote: »
    Or if you still want to buy outside Ireland then maybe wait until you return from Australia and fly into the UK, pick up a car there and drive home.
    You have to own the car for 6 months (whilst living abroad) before you can avoid the VRT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

kbannon wrote: »
    You have to own the car for 6 months (whilst living abroad) before you can avoid the VRT!

Sorry, what I meant was that he could still buy a car cheaper than here and save a few quid even though VRT would still have to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Passport will prove the out of the country aspect. Bills are only needed where there would be no passport stamps that prove how long you were out of the country, typically the UK and other EU countries. In the case of Australia there will be no such bull****.

You will need your name on the Reggo for at least 6 months and make sure that the sticker in the windscreen is valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Steerpike

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

I know that:

so . . .

I came back to the country about 10 years ago after living abroad for some time. I took my car back with me, which was a heap of junk about 11 years old, and the VRT bureaucrats went through it with a fine-tooth comb. They looked for bank statements, utility bills and wage slips, the waste-of-space tossers.

Then I had to take the car to their office and they even came out and inspected it. Like most saddo Government officials with a bit of power, they will be as obstructive as they can.

Make sure you have all the above - especially if your car is any way decent - and they will have to give you clearance. But the tossers I had did not make it easy, and as I say, my car back then was a heap.

Good luck.

PS... I had hoped VRT would have been abolished by now. Roll on EU tax harmonisation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Steerpike

keefg wrote: »
    With the cost of cars in Ireland dropping at the moment would it be worth the cost (and bother) of transporting a car all the way from Australia?

Depends what kind of car the guy has... prices are dropping here alright, relative to what they were (second hand), but higher-end cars are actually dearer after revamped VRT. So if he has a 911 or something, he'd be well advised to bring it with him if he can.

BTW, original poster, just to qualify my earlier statement; when I lived abroad it was in other EU countries. Not sure about Oz.

Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I bought a year old merc ml in Australia, paid 33k, traded it in 2 years later when I had returned to Ireland got 30k.
    The wanted bank statements and insurance/rego details.
    My friend bought a demo range rover (3months old) for 50k,

here is one for 42k euro
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/search/vehicle-details/D_9744236/vehicle-search/@N=4294962119++540+++4294952836&searchType=3&vehicleType=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Ya you can get a brand new lancer for $21,000 which means with the poor dollar is roughly €10,500

The thing is I can get it registered here for 6 months grand it's getting the other stuff, I'll be travelling around new zealand and that for a while where I won't have the bills etc.

They reckon second hand cars hold onto their price like crazy here so I'd probably go for a new one, maybe sell it after the year at home then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I bought a year old merc ml in Australia, paid 33k, traded it in 2 years later when I had returned to Ireland got 30k.
    The wanted bank statements and insurance/rego details.
    My friend bought a demo range rover (3months old) for 50k,

here is one for 42k euro
    http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/search/vehicle-details/D_9744236/vehicle-search/@N=4294962119++540+++4294952836&searchType=3&vehicleType=3

How much was shipping, Customs Duty, and VAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Steerpike wrote: »
    I came back to the country about 10 years ago after living abroad for some time. I took my car back with me, which was a heap of junk about 11 years old, and the VRT bureaucrats went through it with a fine-tooth comb. They looked for bank statements, utility bills and wage slips, the waste-of-space tossers.

Then I had to take the car to their office and they even came out and inspected it. Like most saddo Government officials with a bit of power, they will be as obstructive as they can.

Make sure you have all the above - especially if your car is any way decent - and they will have to give you clearance. But the tossers I had did not make it easy, and as I say, my car back then was a heap.

Good luck.

PS... I had hoped VRT would have been abolished by now. Roll on EU tax harmonisation!

Great... you'll be paying the same rate as the Germans then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I was shipping 2 cars motorbike, and household contents packed ( one 40 foot one 20foot container ) all together was about 10k,
    I think car alone by a shipping company would be about 2.5k.

I did not have to pay any VRT,VAT or Duty on the Merc as I was moving address.
    But normal Vat,Vrt and duty would add 66% to the price I guess.
    I would not bring a 911 unless it is old as the prices in Australia are much the same as here.
    Actually cost to import would be closer to 100%
    Range rover cost in Australia 42000+ 4200 ( duty) + 2500 ( shipping) +10470 (vat on cost/shipping/duty) + 21000 VRT= 80170

Advertisement