Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extraction fan

• 30-11-2008 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Need some advise please, were almost finished the build , yippee
    And moving back in over the next few days, However in our onsuite
    the sparks installed the extraction Fan, alls grand, went up into
    the attic to see how they vented it... and guess what my suspicions
    were correct it just vented into the attic, which as you can imagine
    I couldnt understand, But on talking to the builder, he informed me
    that he has some special tiles installed along with a couple of standard
    pipe vents to allow air out etc, Is this for real? or his he pulling my leg,
    I would tend to go with the pulling my leg, hes grand and all but its the end of the build and he rushing to finish I think, I need To find out what the building regs are on this? if anyone knows? So i Can slap him with them and
    give more of an excuse to hold back more money :)

Cheers All

R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There would most likely be ridge or slate ventilators built into the roof if its a dormer or 1.5 storey house. However your extractor fan will have to be vented directly to the outside of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well done, time flies and the force is strong in you.

Muffler is right "However your extractor fan will have to be vented directly to the outside of the house." A flexible 100mm diameter pipe is fitted to the extractor and connected to the soffit in the eaves.

Moist wet air must not be pumbed into your attic!

The flexible plastic pipe can sometimes be connected to an Vent slate or Vent tile, (a slate / tile with a plastic hood) see www.ubbink.co.uk or Klober Venduct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Dark Jedi Irl
    Glad to hear you nearly there well done. The extractor fan must be ventilated to the outside of the building. By means of a flexible tube connected to a roof vent either slate or tile vent agree with RKO & Muffler. Do not forget to get a snag list done on your house by a qualified person this will save you time & money.
    A snag list is a list of the small things that you are not happy with or miss during construction in the house, which is given to the builder before you move in and which he will have to fix before you move. WORTH DOING easy to fix problems at this stage, could cost a big head ache when builder leaves the job..
    Heatherview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks All.

I got the tubing for the back of the extraction Fan and have left it in the house for him to connect up, We have had a pro in to do a Snag list ,
    So he has added all that and a few other things that need to be done,
    And he will Not be getting anything until he is done, :)
    He told me that another tile needs to be Added to the roof so,

So let the builder battle begin,

Will let you know how we get on,

Cheers all again

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Opps ment to ask , are there any building Regs that I can Look at that
    go through extraction fans etc and how they should be vented etc?

Reason being is were meeting him later tonight and if it goes down that
    road I want to slap him with some Building Reg Codes etc, to proof a point

Apologies, it might seem like we dont get on, but we do, its I just dont
    fully trust them, dont know why but just Dont , and as its snag list time
    and the end of the build he Wants to move on to another he will cut corners
    more than likely ,,

But best bet is to be sure to be Sure,

Thanks

R

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

This is the relevant technical guidance document.

Have a look through sure and throw any questions you have up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Page 3 part F1 and F2. Looks like the appropriate ones and they are the actual building regulations. All the other information that follows is just guidance on how to achieve those 2 regs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I have a query about vents and extractor fans in bathrooms.

We are currently having an extension built onto our house and converting the rest of the house. None of the bathrooms have extractor fans and according to our builder they are not required as the rooms all have windows, this seems to be consistent with the link provided by jimbo78 above, but a friend who is in the building trade advised me that the regulations have changed and that all bathrooms are required to have an extractor fan irrespective of whether they have a window or not. He is unable to provide me with the regulation. Does anyone know if there has been a recent amendment to part F of the building regs, that incorporate this?

Google has not led me anywhere, except to this thread...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

High&Low wrote: »
    I have a query about vents and extractor fans in bathrooms.

We are currently having an extension built onto our house and converting the rest of the house. None of the bathrooms have extractor fans and according to our builder they are not required as the rooms all have windows, this seems to be consistent with the link provided by jimbo78 above, but a friend who is in the building trade advised me that the regulations have changed and that all bathrooms are required to have an extractor fan irrespective of whether they have a window or not. He is unable to provide me with the regulation. Does anyone know if there has been a recent amendment to part F of the building regs, that incorporate this?

Google has not led me anywhere, except to this thread...

Thanks

I've a similar query. Looking forward to any advice people provide... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

None of the bathrooms have extractor fans and according to our builder they are not required as the rooms all have windows,
    Mechanical extractor fans were introduced afew years ago. Any existing property built before this new / revised regulation (TGD F) would be exempt. Your existing bathrooms would be exempt.
    However, a new extension must comply with current Building Regulations.
    but a friend who is in the building trade advised me that the regulations have changed and that all bathrooms are required to have an extractor fan irrespective of whether they have a window or not.
    Your friend is correct, follow his advice. See Technical Guidnce Document F.

• Advertisement

I agree with RKQ on this. The relevant wording from TGD F is:
    Bathrooms and Sanitary Accommodation
    1.8 In a bathroom (with or without a WC), the
    following provision for ventilation should be
    adequate:
    (a) a ventilation opening suitable for rapid
    ventilation having a total area of at least 1/20th
    of the floor area, and
    (b) (i) mechanical extract ventilation capable of
    extracting at a rate of 15 litres per
    second, or
    (ii) passive stack ventilation (PSV) designed
    and installed in accordance with BRE IP
    13/94 and incorporating an automatic
    humidity sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Looks like more that one of us with the same problem, no fan in bathroom !
    That TGD for Part F is dated 2002 buut had transitional arrangements.
    My estate permission was applied for in 2002 but not granted until mid 2003 so I assume that a mechanical fan is required ?

I will be printing a copy of this post for him !

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

joebre wrote: »
    I will be printing a copy of this post for him !

Joe
    Don't go giving the guy a post from an internet site. Download TGD F here and show him the relevant section.

Heres the document for the transitional arrangements for the amendments to Part F

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Muffler,

Thanks for posting the transitional arrangements.

It seems that a 2002 application had until the end of 2005 to have the external walls completed. I did not buy until Nov 06 but the house was a showhouse from March 06 and would have been to wall-plate by end of December 05.

Strange that they were given 3 years for transition?

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi High Low
    I agree with comments you recieved. When putting fan in bathrooms - en suites I would suggest you also fit an isolator switch as well. This means you can isolate the power to fan if required in future.
    Heatherview

Advertisement