Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing JSTOR at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's the same as logging onto UCD connect or blackboard etc. student number and whatever your password is. I was able to get into JSTOR via that link using my own details so the site itself is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you're having problems log into connect, go to the library section and select datatbases. You can find JSTOR in there and should be able to log in no problem as you're already in connect it wont ask you for your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Also, on JStor and other databases, look for "Athens Login". That should take you to a page where you can select UCD and enter your UCD ID details.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

bnt wrote: »
    Also, on JStor and other databases, look for "Athens Login". That should take you to a page where you can select UCD and enter your UCD ID details.

You must be logged into blackboard first. Then go for the 'Athens' route on whatever site it is and it should auto-login for you (and for as long as the cookie lasts).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

jimi_t wrote: »
    You must be logged into blackboard first. Then go for the 'Athens' route on whatever site it is and it should auto-login for you (and for as long as the cookie lasts).
    OK - I was working from memory of ArtStor, but when you go to JStor, you get something slightly different. I just tried it now, in a new session without going to any UCD site first:
    - http://jstor.org , Login
    - scroll down to "Access JSTOR through a participating institution"
    - First time you do this, you'll need to select Ireland / UCD, and hit Login
    - later: just hit "Athens Login", because it stores a cookie and remembers you're from UCD.
    - you are taken to the UCD Library login page. Login as normal, then you are taken back to JStor, logged in.

Basically, the Library server is where you get authenticated by UCD, nothing to do with Blackboard.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

bnt wrote: »
    OK - I was working from memory of ArtStor, but when you go to JStor, you get something slightly different. I just tried it now, in a new session without going to any UCD site first:
    - http://jstor.org , Login
    - scroll down to "Access JSTOR through a participating institution"
    - First time you do this, you'll need to select Ireland / UCD, and hit Login
    - later: just hit "Athens Login", because it stores a cookis and remembers you're from UCD.
    - you are taken to the UCD Library login page. Login as normal, then you are taken back to JStor, logged in.

Basically, the Library server is where you get authenticated by UCD, nothing to do with Blackboard.

Dunno about any of that, but the auto-ATHENS login will never work unless I'm signed into the main UCD site - this is what I'm referring to as 'blackboard.

(There's also a very handy little firefox ATHENS plug-in - once you're logged into the UCD.ie site it provides a drop down contextual menu of all the resources you're entitled to).

Advertisement