Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top dog

Options
  • 30-11-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

My friends have a largeish garden. New neighbours have moved in next door with a golden retriever. From what I can see, the dog is the head of that family (I've seen them out and about a bit). He doesn't respond to any voice commands, and always gets his own way on anything. Bear in mind, this is only my observation from when I've seen them on occasion.

Anyway, the dog is managing to make its way into my friends garden fairly regularly. My friend is afraid of dogs, so won't go out if the dog is there. We've tried closing up the gap where he comes through, but the problem is he's jumping over the wall, so it will take some time for the wall to be rebuilt higher.

First few times this happened, I went out and said "Go home" in a stern voice. Dog ignored me and just kept barking his head off. I approached him to take him by the collar and lead him back, and he growled and snapped at me.

This is where the question comes in - I believe I should be top dog in "my" territory. So the last few times he's come in, I've gone out, stalked towards him slowly with teeth bared, with a low growl and a fixed stare. When I do this he tries to bark me away, but backs off fairly quickly and when he gets within jumping distance of his spot at the wall does a quick turn and runs. Once he's in his own garden I immediately stop, turn my back and walk away ignoring him. I've never owned a dog myself (though I do love dogs), and I'm a bit worried if I'm being cruel to him by doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried if I'm being cruel to him by doing this?

No.

Just lucky :D

He's obviously a fairly docile fella who's been given free reign to do whatever he likes. The first person to stand up to him (you) and he's literally taken his tail between his legs and seen sense.

What you've done was fine, you told him in his own language and in no uncertain terms that (unlike the other people he deals with) you're not to be messed with.

Just don't get over-confident now and try that on every contrary dog you meet ...they might not all be as docile and take you up on your challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Cool, thanks. I don't run into many dogs, contrary or otherwise, these days. And one of my general rules in life is "don't annoy anything that can reach your throat" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

So the last few times he's come in, I've gone out, stalked towards him slowly with teeth bared, with a low growl and a fixed stare

can we see a picture?! :)

campervan wrote: »
    can we see a picture?! :)

No, cos apparently I look feckin' ridiculous. Friend says I've got the half lifted leg thing and the canines going on well though. I tried out the low steady growl in the kitchen and apparently it's quite good. They reckon I was a wolf in a previous life ;)

I was over there again today, and all I had to do was open the back door, growl a little and he legged it. I think he's getting the idea that that territory might be spoken for.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I approached him to take him by the collar and lead him back, and he growled and snapped at me.

I don't think I'd do this. It seems like he has understood you from the few encounters that you've had with him but I'd be very weary of getting this close to a dog that you don't know. I'm not a bit surprised he reacted the way he did.

• Advertisement

MissyN wrote: »
    I don't think I'd do this. It seems like he has understood you from the few encounters that you've had with him but I'd be very weary of getting this close to a dog that you don't know. I'm not a bit surprised he reacted the way he did.

That was the first step - I didn't take kindly to being snapped at - if anyone's going to be cranky on my territory it's going to be me :)

Just a quick update for those who are interested. The dog now seems to have stopped coming into the garden and stays on his own side of the wall. However, now any time he sees me he seems desperate to please me - he brings me presents of balls, sticks, and a trowel up to the edge of the wall, and stands there wagging at me. He's a lovely guy, and I'd love to go play with him, but I really can't allow him back into the garden for my friend's sake. Awwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

Just a quick update for those who are interested. The dog now seems to have stopped coming into the garden and stays on his own side of the wall. However, now any time he sees me he seems desperate to please me - he brings me presents of balls, sticks, and a trowel up to the edge of the wall, and stands there wagging at me. He's a lovely guy, and I'd love to go play with him, but I really can't allow him back into the garden for my friend's sake. Awwww.

Ahhhh he's such a cutie really. It goes to show it was anxiety that made him snap at you. Hes actually not dominant at all. I'd be dying to play with him too. But every dog is different. Just cos this worked with this doggie doesn't mean it would work with another. Maybe when your friends back is turned you can give him a sneaky pat on the head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

awww that is really cute:) I'd leave him out a little bit of turkey at christmas ;)

Advertisement