Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with a Cough

Options
  • 30-11-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

My poor Milly cat is sick. She is on antibiotics for a mouth and throat infection but is also coughing and is a bit congested.

The vet said the coughing might be caused by her tonsils being swollen, but she is almost finished her antibiotics now and although she is in much better form generally, I think the cough is not improved at all - sounds a lot "wetter" actually.

Someone gave me a great tip once about adding Lysine to cats food for colds - but it doesn't seem to be having an effect this time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips on cough remedies?

Obviously I'll bring her back to the vet if she doesn't improve in the next day or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've heard a recommendation that you bring the cat into the bathroom and run a bath so the steam will help loosen the mucus, but frankly if your cat isn't used to being in the presence of bath or shower, it'll just stress her more. I'd just take her to the vet tbh.

It's one of those things - I've said to people on this forum in the past not to take chances with their animals, especially when they're young like kittens. They can deteriorate very quickly and it's better to see the vet sooner than later. Just the other day I had to follow my own advice - three of my 12-week kittens were becoming flat and listless after being de-sexed. Thought 'Will I wait and see' and then thought 'No, you're forever telling other people not to do that!' So brought three of them to the vet.

Glad I did - they'd had a familial reaction to their booster vaccines, and two of them were running high fevers and the third was developing a fever. Five injections and two courses of antibiotics later, I'm glad I took them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Has she had her chest x-rayed by the vet? If not I'd suggest having it done, it just might shed some more light on what you're dealing with (.e. pneumonia / cardiac issues etc).
    Also, whats her FIV status? Has she been tested? If she is FIV+ she will be much more susceptible to infection, and they will be far harder to shift. Don't want to scaremonger, but if its going on that long, it might be no harm to have her tested, if only to rule it out.
    She could also have a culture and sensitivity test done, which will test what antibiotics the infection is sensitive to, it may be resistant to what she's on already, therefore its staying put.
    Just thought I'd put a few ideas out there, good luck with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Lysine wont help or stop the infestion but it will help build up the immune system. We have had a number of ill foster cats and all got lysine mixed in their food. It will work in the long term but not straight away. I would def look further as it sounds like there is something else happening. As RubySoho pointed out, does she have FIV or has been tested? Also do you have a dog in the house? We had a case of bordetello, feline kennel cough, in ht ehouse last year, we think it had brought in by our dog but not 100% sure. Is it a heaving type cough, does it sound like she's trying to shift something or is it a cough that sounds like its flemmy? Is she eating ok?
    A small drop of baby benylin can help but she migh tnot like the taste!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks all - she hasn't been FIV tested but is up to date on all her vaccinations. She is an indoor cat almost all of the time, and hasnt ever been in a cat fight as far as I know, also as she was neutered at 5 months I don't think she has ever mated either - so all in all - I think she wouldn't have FIV.

She is eating well, and is back to being energetic as usual.

I'll see if there is any improvement tomorrow and take her back to the vet if not.

I'll have a bath later and let her sit in the bathroom. :D Although we have had problems with this set up in the past as she has ended up falling into the bath twice! Not a pleasant experience for either of us! :D

Advertisement