Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The X Factor

Options
  • 30-11-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Who do you think will win the x factor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

djeddy wrote: »

i hope alexandra wins but i wont be too annoyed if eoin wins and i think he will

i was disapointed that the voloptous ruth went out last night , was hoping the ( am i quirky enough ) diana would go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The prettiest karaoke singer. Would be more suited in the TV forum. Not trying to be a snob but it has a lot more to do with there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was gutted at Ruth exiting. Can't abide Diana. Singing aside it really grates me that she's has the head of a weak moaney teenager. I thought JLS looked like a spilled box of tampons. Not kean on them at best of times.
    I think the black/asian(ish)looking one should win. Her mother sang with Soul to Soul apparently.

Kold wrote: »
    The prettiest karaoke singer. Would be more suited in the TV forum. Not trying to be a snob but it has a lot more to do with there.
    In fairness Kold it's a singing and presentation competition (which is music(y)) that a lot of people watch and listen to. I'm not having a go but it is snobbery. It's a bit of fun and surely that's got room in everyone's life and god knows this forum needs a bit of levity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

The x factor is cheap tabloid tv.
    As a business idea it was pure genius and I take my hat off to that.A relative minority are reaping the benefits while they use other people to gain their wealth.As a musician it's done severe damage to us in the way that a lot of people are deluded that they can be stars .If you want to see this in action just advertise an audition for a singer for a band . The amount of people who just cannot sing is overwhelming .

X factor is just another way of distracting you . You spend all your time watching other people living their life while you should be living your own to the fullest.

just my thoughts.

and P.S I never watch TV.

• Advertisement

BumbleB wrote: »
    The x factor is cheap tabloid tv.
    As a business idea it was pure genius and I take my hat off to that.A relative minority are reaping the benefits while they use other people to gain their wealth.As a musician it's done severe damage to us in the way that a lot of people are deluded that they can be stars .If you want to see this in action just advertise an audition for a singer for a band . The amount of people who just cannot sing is overwhelming .

X factor is just another way of distracting you . You spend all your time watching other people living their life while you should be living your own to the fullest.

just my thoughts.

and P.S I never watch TV.

Eh...pretty off topic though considering you didn't state who you thought would win which is what the thread is asking. Didn't read the OP? Too busy avoiding tv but not enough to comment on a thread that's directly asking a question about it?
    I'm a musician too but I don't blame a tv programme and a public's insatiable appetite for processed pop for taking food out of my daughters mouth. If your stuff's good enough it'll be heard. If not...in the mean time we've the Xfactor to entertain us.(For those that occassionally watch tv and don't want to think too hard at that time of day).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

diana will win it :(
    its a joke this year to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

humberklog wrote: »
    In fairness Kold it's a singing and presentation competition (which is music(y)) that a lot of people watch and listen to. I'm not having a go but it is snobbery. It's a bit of fun and surely that's got room in everyone's life and god knows this forum needs a bit of levity.

i know your saying its a bit of fun but its the making of a career and a million pound contract for the winner. i tink what annoys most people is the money thats pumped into the winner particulary when the standard is so low and the fact that they can make a superstar of wats often average talent. i know its very difficult to be different and good at the same time but all they are getting is the same ting all the time. in my opinion the show has run its course but its such a big money industry sure itl go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm sorry, I thought I was in the music forum for a minute...my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If your stuff's good enough it'll be heard.

That's not true, and therein lies the problem. I'm sure there are lots of talented musicians out there writing good music who are struggling to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You don't listen to TV programmes, you watch them. I don't want to go to off topic so I'll make it quick but the X Factor brings a lot more to the table as a TV programme than it does to music. The judges themselves will send people out because their image isn't marketable. The music forum is for musical discussion but whoever wins the X Factor will not be a musical prodigy or indeed, notable in the history of the genre, that's just a fact.

Musical snobbery aside, it's a commercial pantomime that people watch for entertainment and people produce for money. The couple of on topic replies here have said nothing at all about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Wertz wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I thought I was in the music forum for a minute...my bad.

+1
    Reality TV doesn't really count as music. I don't care if they nailed singstar on expert or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ruth was definitely the most talented singer, and should have won. :(

Of the 4 left, Alexandra is the only one who is truly talented. The other 3 are only there because of the preteen girls voting. At the end of the day it's really a popularity contest, not a talent contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

It is most certainly not a singing competition based on what I have heard and seen. It seems singing ability is very low in importance on this show.
    Most market-able product wins.
    It could be classed as entertainment.

Edit: apologies OP, I never answered your question due to being driven to distraction...
    Who do I think will win? I dont know who will win, what I think is that Alexandra should win because she can sing and sing well. I wonder are we all losers and I fear for my sanity if Diana wins - she should suffer for what she did to everybody hurts, I know I suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

diana is unbelivebaly bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

If its based on talent it should be Alexandra but i think its rigged for Diana to win
    This year's X Factor winner will release a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah as a single

JP Liz wrote: »
    If its based on talent it should be Alexandra but i think its rigged for Diana to win
    This year's X Factor winner will release a cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah as a single
    Oh my ****ing god no.:mad::( I think I've found the last straw right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'll be honest and say that I don't like it. The judges are asinine, the perfomers are mostly docile and there is too much formulaic warbling and safe covers.

But you can't say it's not music. It's certainly no more formulaic than some of the clone-boy indie you see around.

And to be honest, the only thing that separates it from revered pop like Motown is the quality of songwriting/abundance of covers. There is nothing original about the hit-factory, conveyor-belt school of pop, nor the enduring hatred of it from fans of real music.

Em, I'm soon stop commenting cause it makes me sad, but I would say that I understand why some people watch it. I would say that it has had some good singers on the show.

Is it music though - it seems to be all about the hype, sob stories etc. and the music is last. Even the judging - they comment on the clothing most of the time (a result of not having decent judges) seldom do they comment on the performance, and by that I don't mean the dancing, the vocal performance is almost never critiqued or praised.
    On the X-factor making the most of the acts ability doesn't seem to be the priority and yet the winner is presented (and accepted?) as the best of the best.

So, I donno - it's just a disaster of a music show, wasting tallent and focusing on all the wrong things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

djeddy wrote: »
    I don't give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

I have noticed on the few occasions I’ve seen the xfactor that the crowd not only cheer every performance but boo any criticism made by the judges (even if it's clearly warranted) that to me really shows how undiscerning the palate of the average x factor fan is and how people will go along with something simply becomes it’s less complicated and makes them feel happier than criticising it.
    I personaly find the sight of a large group of people hysterically applauding something for seemingly no other reason than they think they need to, to be very troubling.

In fact, it’s the very of concept of the show that genuinely troubles me. The idea that you can find artistic talent through structured competition and not by allowing artists to emerge organically and gain success, be it commercial or critical, through interested people seeking their work out and enjoying it on their own terms is a sign of how lazy, complacent and intellectually craven people are becoming.

The kind of blind mass acceptance xfactor fans exhibit is worrying, as this attitude could also, and imo is, applied to what governments tell them to do also.

A condensed version of the above: We are breeding sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ninaford

heard this morning that jls and rihanna are going to preform together again on the x factor!wonder if they will perform umbrella again???

Also...Take That have denied canceling their appearance on Saturday night’s X Factor final, claiming that they were never due to perform!!!

one boyband who will be performing is boyzone who will be trying to help secure eoghan a victory in saturday nights final.im not sure if eoghan has a chance after that jls stampede the other day!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No matter who wins/won X-Factor, society loses/lost.

Advertisement