Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it a good idea to jailbreak iphone 3g?

• 30-11-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

is the any risks involved? i will want to dowload bite sms, an app thats got great reviews and is free..it allows landscape txting and allows forwarding of txts, but it says in order to install it your iphone must be jailbroken...

as im getting my phone in italy, ill have no worthwhile warranty here so dont want to take any stupid risks..so is it ok to jailbreak??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

If you buy your iPhone in Italy it'll be unlocked legally. Why would you bother jailbreaking it for an application that simply lets you text in landscape and forward texts (who forwards texts anyway?)... It'll be a headwreck to jailbreak it and have to wait for the hack everytime Apple do an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If you buy your iPhone in Italy it'll be unlocked legally. Why would you bother jailbreaking it for an application that simply lets you text in landscape and forward texts (who forwards texts anyway?)... It'll be a headwreck to jailbreak it and have to wait for the hack everytime Apple do an update.

Oh come on, its a simple process, it takes no more than 10 minutes.

If you can press a mouse button, you can jail break, they have one all the hard work.

As for dangers of jailbreaking, there are none. Apple know it happens, they are not too bothered either. If something did go wrong you can factory reset the thing!

As for bitesms, good app, texting in landscape is not as good as you might think though, well not for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Jailbreaking is hardly a 'headwreck', it's easy to do and when Apple release updates, you're better off waiting a week or so anyway before upgrading, just to make sure there are no issues with it. Within that week, the new firmware will be jailbroken and you just have to repeat the simple process again. It's not like Apple release firmware updates every week!

Some of the best apps are only available for jailbroken phones:ScummVM, Comicviewer, MxTube, OpenSSH, PDANet, Backgrounder and Bossprefs are just a few that I use on an almost daily basis.

As godskitchen said, in the unlikely event of anything going wrong, a quick factory reset will see you good again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

cojomo2 wrote: »
    is the any risks involved? i will want to dowload bite sms, an app thats got great reviews and is free..it allows landscape txting and allows forwarding of txts, but it says in order to install it your iphone must be jailbroken...

as im getting my phone in italy, ill have no worthwhile warranty here so dont want to take any stupid risks..so is it ok to jailbreak??

thanks

Essentially, the answer is most definitely YES. It'll give you much more functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Oh come on, its a simple process, it takes no more than 10 minutes.

If you can press a mouse button, you can jail break, they have one all the hard work.

As for dangers of jailbreaking, there are none. Apple know it happens, they are not too bothered either. If something did go wrong you can factory reset the thing!

As for bitesms, good app, texting in landscape is not as good as you might think though, well not for me anyway.

ok..is there issues with txting in ladscape?does it work properly? it also lets u know how many characters are left b4 u go into the next txt which i cant believe the iphone version doesnt have..

so what happens if i jailbreak and then trey to update via itunes when a new update is released?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

cojomo2 wrote: »
    ...it also lets u know how many characters are left b4 u go into the next txt which i cant believe the iphone version doesnt have...

:eek:

Seriously?

:eek:

Seriously?

You would be shocked at what the iphone can not/will not do!

Yes texting in landscape is fine, I just dont like it, I find it hard to hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

i didnt know a factory reset would make a jailbroken phone like it was before is there not a chance you can brick it? i guess not, so how do people brick their iphones?
    also can someone point me in the right direction to jailbreak my 3g iphone v2.2 its a 02 prepay with a turbo sim in it if that makes any difference
    cheers

menuisier wrote: »
    i didnt know a factory reset would make a jailbroken phone like it was before is there not a chance you can brick it? i guess not, so how do people brick their iphones?
    also can someone point me in the right direction to jailbreak my 3g iphone v2.2 its a 02 prepay with a turbo sim in it if that makes any difference
    cheers

Everything you will ever need to know, from the people that know.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Advertisement