Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi problem with netgear dg834n

Options
  • 30-11-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

hi all
    i got this router a while ago, brand new
    since day one i had problems with the wifi
    i firstly set it with the b-g option since i had a belkin key that only supported those speeds, but the signal was poor
    so i replaced the key with a netgear wn 111 that supports the N strenght but still
    i dont even get a signal..
    its kinda frustrating to spend all this money to improve things, while the old router did a better job!
    does anyone know what could be the issue here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

the key needs a "n" router to avail of "n" strength.

how far is your router from your key?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

the router is an N router and the key is N compatible
    the router is upstairs and the key is downstairs id say about 30-40 meters of distance
    it seems that by changin the channel manually , sometimes it connects but the signal is still about 5% according to the netgear software

could the distance be the issue?
    it never was with the old one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Distance could well be the issue. Unfortunately the performance of wireless equipment is notoriously hard to predict in advance of trying it in the actual situation and 'n' equipment in many reviews I have read comes nowhere near the promises made for it. Have you checked to see if there is any updated firware for the products? What models are you using?

the problem is that if i lower the signal of the router to b and g levels, i still have difficulty to get a decent connection, while with the old 3com i could easily get 3 bars out of 4 under the g strenght
    the firmware is the very latest on the router, nothing has been released since april

models are dg834n for the router
    and wn111 for the usb key so compatibility shouldnt be a problem

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

j4vier wrote: »
    the problem is that if i lower the signal of the router to b and g levels, i still have difficulty to get a decent connection, while with the old 3com i could easily get 3 bars out of 4 under the g strenght
    the firmware is the very latest on the router, nothing has been released since april

models are dg834n for the router
    and wn111 for the usb key so compatibility shouldnt be a problem

Why are you lowering the settings below 'n'? AFAIK nornally the 'n' setting will adapt downwards if a g or b component is added to the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

dub45 wrote: »
    Why are you lowering the settings below 'n'? AFAIK nornally the 'n' setting will adapt downwards if a g or b component is added to the network.

Correct, some N adaptors aren't fully compliant with the specs.

MC

i did that just as a test to see if there were any differences , but there werent

Advertisement