Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E71 Vs Palm Treo Pro

• 30-11-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hubbie wants a good phone for email and web browsing on the move.
    He would like to be able to open and edit Office documents and transfer them to the pc later.

Can both of these phones do this?

He's eligible for both on vodafone upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Yes, both will do it.
    I have the palm treo and its perfect for email and word / excel. i would recomend getting it.
    But if you wanna stick to a nokia the E71 is just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

IMHO the E71 is a better phone. Hubbie will be eternally grateful if you get him it. its got everything on it plus the battery life is superb.

spagbol wrote: »
    Hubbie wants a good phone for email and web browsing on the move.
    He would like to be able to open and edit Office documents and transfer them to the pc later.

Can both of these phones do this?

He's eligible for both on vodafone upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

elderlemon wrote: »
    IMHO the E71 is a better phone. Hubbie will be eternally grateful if you get him it. its got everything on it plus the battery life is superb.

+ 1

Excellent phone.
    Bought mine a week ago and am still amazed at the amount of things on it.
    Used the GPS yesterday on the way to the Aillwee caves when I came across the road closed after Corofin. Turns out I saved myself 30 miles :eek: by using my Nokia maps instead of taking the recommended diversion.

Can't recommend this phone enough. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

My vote is for the Treo Pro.

My company trialed both phones along with 2 others including the new iPAQ.
    I used both for a couple of weeks.

The main reasons for going with Treo Pro over the E71 were the touch screen capabilities of the Treo Pro(E71 isn't touchcreen), essential imo if you need good web browsing, platform - it being Windows Mobile 6.1 - the software and support options are much larger, SMS - the text layout on the treo pro is something I hadnt seen before - all texts with one person is viewed like a chat screen, so you can see the conversation - great for keeping track of messasges when you can't remember what they are replying too!
    Has all the connectivity options that the E71 has.
    The only thing I prefered on the Nokia was the battery life and included memory, but wasn't enough to sway the decision. The treo pro can take a larger memory card too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spagbol

thanks all for the very useful information. Keep it coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

My vote is for the Treo Pro.

My company trialed both phones along with 2 others including the new iPAQ.
    I used both for a couple of weeks.

The main reasons for going with Treo Pro over the E71 were the touch screen capabilities of the Treo Pro(E71 isn't touchcreen), essential imo if you need good web browsing, platform - it being Windows Mobile 6.1 - the software and support options are much larger, SMS - the text layout on the treo pro is something I hadnt seen before - all texts with one person is viewed like a chat screen, so you can see the conversation - great for keeping track of messasges when you can't remember what they are replying too!
    Has all the connectivity options that the E71 has.
    The only thing I prefered on the Nokia was the battery life and included memory, but wasn't enough to sway the decision. The treo pro can take a larger memory card too.

The treo has a square screen 320x320: that means a lot of wm software won't run properly ;)
    Nokia e71 takes exactly the same memory card size, and though on paper the e71 doesn't have more ram. Effectively it DOES - as the java and symbian apps use less ram.
    The treo's screen is not exacy big enough to make touch features very efficient, or fingerfriendly, so how effeicient browsing by thumb is, is a matter of taste imho, especially as yada yada

strecker wrote: »
    The treo has a square screen 320x320: that means a lot of wm software won't run properly ;)
    Several apps fix some of these issues and more and more new progs are becoming more compatible.
    Nokia e71 takes exactly the same memory card size, and though on paper the e71 doesn't have more ram. Effectively it DOES - as the java and symbian apps use less ram.
    The E71 can take up to the 8Gb micro SD. The Treo Pro takes up to the big 32Gb micro SD.
    The treo's screen is not exacy big enough to make touch features very efficient, or fingerfriendly, so how effeicient browsing by thumb is, is a matter of taste imho, especially as yada yada
    Thumb? Who said thumb? How about a stylus? Its very easy and intuitive and imo, easier. Easier still for those with long thin thumbs!:D
    But this is a preference thing I agree.

Several apps fix some of these issues and more and more new progs are becoming more compatible.

The E71 can take up to the 8Gb micro SD. The Treo Pro takes up to the big 32Gb micro SD.

Thumb? Who said thumb? How about a stylus? Its very easy and intuitive and imo, easier. Easier still for those with long thin thumbs!:D
    But this is a preference thing I agree.

Well, yeah, the touch/stylus is up to each individual's preference - can't argue about that.
    As to the apps: we could probably chalk it up to preference as well?! But gosh: where are the 14gb of music on my e71 if not on that 16gb sandisk card I put in???
    http://www.my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38339

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I have to say I think both phones are brilliant, but I believe that e71 wins this one...

edit; http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2425&idPhone1=2494

I have to say I think both phones are brilliant, but I believe that e71 wins this one...

edit; http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=2425&idPhone1=2494

Agree. And I like the treo, but it came 12 months late imho. As an upgrade to the 750 they did everything right. Unfortunately, though, other developers moved that bit faster. And looking at it, the keypad is disappointing. Palm's keyboards used to be one of the highlights, but the pro's? And personally, I think they should have just ditched the touchscreen conpletely and make the wm ui more usable...
    Still, I'd really consider buying a pro, should I realise the E71 is lacking sth I want. I think both are good BB alternatives, esp'ly if you can live without contracts...

• Advertisement

But gosh: where are the 14gb of music on my e71 if not on that 16gb sandisk card I put in???
    http://www.my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38339

fair enough, the specs I read at time of trial said it supported up to 8Gb but there ye go. Hope it takes the 32Gb too so!

For me anyway, treo pro with TouchFlo is the answer, and I'm stickin' to it:D

fair enough, the specs I read at time of trial said it supported up to 8Gb but there ye go. Hope it takes the 32Gb too so!

+1

Good. Where did you download the touchflow? Do you have a link bac?

Good. Where did you download the touchflow? Do you have a link bac?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=336482

Also check out thios for some cool apps...

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/download.html?en

Tallon wrote: »
    YEP, SPB SHELL IS GREAT ON MY aSUS P550 ;)

Thanks for the touchflo link :)

that should have read touchFlo with realVGA for maximum prettiness:D

Advertisement