Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthritic pain

Options
  • 30-11-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any solutions for the chronic pain associated with arthritis (specifically psoriatic arthritis)?

I've tried difene and ibuprofen rubs but they arent wonderfully effective. Paracetemol and codiene (solpadiene/maxlief) make it slightly more bareable (though this might be more to do with doping effect of the codiene) butI havent found anything that seems to make the pain go away.

Its worse in the evening and if there has been stress on the joints for any extended period of time. Specifically the left knee, right shoulder, neck and often wrists and fingers.

All tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

Hi

I have arthritis in my back, I also have sciatica! I take difene, tylex, and zydol, they are very strong, I find nurofen gel very effective, costs about €8 a tube, I also use deep heat heat patches, I find them very good, and comforting on the cold days.

Hope you find them effective

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Hi

I have arthritis in my back, I also have sciatica! I take difene, tylex, and zydol, they are very strong, I find nurofen gel very effective, costs about €8 a tube, I also use deep heat heat patches, I find them very good, and comforting on the cold days.

Hope you find them effective

You find the neurofen patches effective? I thought they were horrible (though nice when you're waiting for a bus).

Might give them another try, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chocciebutton

Not the nurofen patches the gel, and the deep heat patches, obviously can't take tabs when I am in work. It has to be the most horrible pain ever! I got it from a fall! So easy how it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi Hivemind,
    have PA about ten years and had been very bad with P - ended up on one of the biologics - enbrel - which is supposed to help both conditions. I'm sure this is helping my pain, which I have not had for about two years.
    One thing that may also have been a factor is Omega 3 (omacor) which I've been taking over that period, while its not a pain killer it seems to make the joints more flexible and so relieves the pain. Hope this helps

cheers guys, keep 'em coming.

I'll try the deep heat patches, I have voltarol gel which works somewhat (I'm nervous of Ibuprofen gel because neurofen gives me a weird heartbeat).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Sore joints are always going to be worst in the evening.

Just some suggestions, each persons body is different and reacts differently to the various solutions people suggest...

Take Glucosamine & Chondriton capsules to help lubricate the joints. As someone else said, Omega 3

Gentle light massage is always effective. Maybe visit a sports massage therapist, they will do some treatment and prescribe some effective stretching and strengthening techniques for you to do at home which will aid the massage.

Stretching and strengthening is always good.

Swimming & other gentle exercise is good. People tend not to do things because they are sore but a gentle walk or swim will be great for you. Yoga and pilates might also be something to look into

If i think of anymore i'll post them

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I hs and have had PA for over 7 year and despite a number of treatments prescribed by my Rheumatologist it was getting progreesively work. Had to give up sport and it was affecting my work. Then went on to Enbrel & Methotrexote combination once again under the Care of my Rheumy and within 2 weeks was pain free. That was 2 years ago and I am still pain free and no real side affects (get a little nauseous taking Methotrexate). Only other side affect is I am like a pin cushion form self injecting and regular blood tests. Spek to your Rheumy about this as it is life changing

Jesus ... self injecting?

I have all the manual dexterity of a fingerless blind man in a bag, I dont like the sound of that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Us diabetics inject for insulin or finger prick for bloods several times a day, it can be done, btw I'm on Omega3 omacor for my cholestorial, and as a side benefit my joints are more supple now.

Advertisement