Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Dole after travelling

Options
  • 30-11-2008 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    I have been away travelling since Feb this year.
    Previously I had a good job for three and half years , however when my contract was up i left to go travelling.
    I am now back in Ireland and while looking for a job I want to go on the dole or get the job seekers allowance.
    I will be living at home while I am looking for a job.
    I am 26 years old.
    Can someone let me know what I am entitled to ?
    Ive been trying to figure it out by looking at the welfare.ie website but I'm lost!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

If you've been working for the last 3½ years then should qualify for Jobseekers Benefit.
    Need to show the dole office that you've been away for most of '08 so bring in your passport with the visa stamps on it.
    Bring in whatever recent efforts you've made looking for a job such as email replies from agencies or letters from interviews attended.
    Also bring in proof of address such as a recent bill (two are better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I came back from travelling last year, was away for a year. I had only worked for about 18 months full time before I left and a few years part time. I was 23 and living at home but I got the full dole of about 190 a week.

It took about 6 weeks to get it all sorted though because the dole office kept asking for more documents. Eventually I rang them to say I had started work and was only looking for what was owed and the money was in my account in 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Grets

thanks guys - great help
    would you know how much you get on job seekers allowance ?
    Im not too confident that I will get the full amount as I will be living at home.
    Also do you know if I would be means tested - I read some where else that if your over 25 you wont be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

i think its 195 ..not sure but its around that anyway.
    If you paid enough stamps you wont be means tested. If you been working the last 3 yrs before u went travelling, then id imagine youve paid enough.

On the off chance you didnt and you were means tested, then as you're 26yrs old they will treat you as an adult and wont take your parents earnings into account. So you'll most likey still get the dole, but it will just take longer to come thru :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Grets wrote: »
    thanks guys - great help
    would you know how much you get on job seekers allowance ?
    Im not too confident that I will get the full amount as I will be living at home.
    Also do you know if I would be means tested - I read some where else that if your over 25 you wont be ?

197 a week.

If you're living with parents you will get way less, say you're living at a different address ;) they will call around to check of course just get the person at the house to say something like you went to FAS to look for a job, they will two or three times after that they will stop calling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement