Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy goat meat or kid in Dublin?

Options
  • 30-11-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Does anybody know where I can buy goat meat in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭IrishWhite

have you tried the food shop in the islaamic centre on the south circular road?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a butchers section at the back of the Asian Food Co. on Mary Street. I'm not sure whether I've ever seen goat there, but even if they don't have it they'll probably be able to tell you where you might get some.

http://www.asianfood.ie/index.php

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know I mention them a lot, but I was trying to find out if I could get goat awhile back and asked my local butcher Lawlors on the Upr Rathmines Road. If you give him a bit of notice he should be able to source some for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A lot of those African/Caribbean shops sell goat. Not sure what the quality is like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Graffogefarms

Unfortunately = male kids are generally put down at birth in the large dairy goat herds, as it is not economically feasible for them to raise and fatten a male kid. I think it is sad, and an awful waste as the meat is fantastic, lower in cholesterol and good for you. People have this vision of a smelly hairy animal. When if the kid is banded young, you can fatten it a little longer without the taint.

My own bunch - I'm going to make the decission in November, - meat or harness. But the harness seems to be taking off so well, it looks like only about two or three will go that direction. The females are all kept for dairy.

What needs to be done is proof that there is a market for it and then maybe people like me can get some financial help to get my project going and make this available.

I'm on yahoo groups as the caprine scene, so feel free to contact me.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unfortunately = male kids are generally put down at birth in the large dairy goat herds, as it is not economically feasible for them to raise and fatten a male kid. I think it is sad, and an awful waste as the meat is fantastic, lower in cholesterol and good for you. People have this vision of a smelly hairy animal. When if the kid is banded young, you can fatten it a little longer without the taint.

My own bunch - I'm going to make the decission in November, - meat or harness. But the harness seems to be taking off so well, it looks like only about two or three will go that direction. The females are all kept for dairy.

What needs to be done is proof that there is a market for it and then maybe people like me can get some financial help to get my project going and make this available.

I'm on yahoo groups as the caprine scene, so feel free to contact me.

B

harness??

I had some milk fed kid once - gorgeous!!:P

Yes goats can be used in harness as well to pull. There is harness goats uk, there is working goats usa. I've done some shows where I have given rides to little children on a special made cart. I've posted a pic on the pet thread.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=_2bgxLIpFa0RFmFqZOz_2ftK4g_3d_3d

I have a survey on link.

My web is www.caprinescene.tk

Explains what we are and what we are trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I don't know where you can get goat meat... but I do know how you can COOK goat meat. I've just published a cookbook: See Getting Your Goat: The Gourmet Guide, published just a couple of months ago. Available from Amazon, or from me in quantity if you're a bookstore or if you raise goat meat and want to have the book on your stall to encourage people to buy the meat. (That really works. I've just sent 50 copies to a farm in Australia!)

Curiosity - what does the book cost, and how much did it cost to publish. Did you get the isbn number yourself? I'm all things goat and try to help with goat related items. Let me know details - you can email me via the web site www.caprinescene.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

amibahabri wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can buy goat meat in Dublin?

Try a bodhran maker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Curiosity - what does the book cost,
    RRP is €13.95, £9.95, $14.95 (see its web page). There's a range of discounts available for quantity.
    and how much did it cost to publish.
    Erm, it cost what it cost. All books have different costs.
    Did you get the isbn number yourself?
    Yes, I'm a publisher. You can "Look Inside" the book at Amazon.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goatfarmer

I am a large dairy goat farmer in meath. I have kept some male goats to rear for meat. I have some on the freezer too from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Have they been banded - so meat won't be tainted or full males?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 goatfarmer

MrPirate wrote: »
    Have they been banded - so meat won't be tainted or full males?

not yet as i was not sure if they would go for breeding or meat. They are only 2 months old so it can still be done

Advertisement