Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia Router Problems

Options
  • 30-11-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before, i did a search but couldnt find any similiar threads...

Anyways, i have eircom broadband and the standard netopis wifi router and my problem is that the broadband keeps going down and i have to turn the router on and off to get it back...

This happens every few hours, and its a bit of a pain, im not sure if its the broadband or the router that is the problem..

The firmware is up to date on the router also.

Any ideas where the problem is or how to sort it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I have exact same problem with the silvery/grey netopia router (Netopia model 2247-02) from eircom. However, I'm using two non-standard aerials attached to mine, so I had assumed the problem had been caused by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ya, thats the same model i have, its a bit of a pain.

did you manage sort it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There could be external factors affecting it. Apparently things like Eircom's phonewatch and Sky can cause problems. Also, if you've got a weak electricity supply, too many appliances running can knock it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mad_max_power

I have the same problem.

I am running two computers off my wireless router. And another is connected through an Ethernet cable.

I am only having this problem with one of them.

The problem is with one of the wireless connections, (Its also the only one using Vista).

Basically At least once a day the connection to the wireless network goes. It can't detect the network.
    I have to restart the entire computer to get it back.

I think this has something to do with the router changing the IP address but i am not sure.

Can someone please help me, even a pointer in the right direction would be a help.

To the other posters are you running Vista as well?

ya, all i have on the network is the XBOX 360 and the laptop..

The laptop is running Vista and connected wirelessly...

The XBOX also loses connection

having the same problem as the above post...have to reset the router then the laptop to get it back...

• Advertisement

Go into connection and select "always on", it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Hmmm, here's where we differ.

First off, I'm connecting wirelessly using two laptops with Win XP (they'd be getting their signal direct from router) and one desktop running Win XP Media Centre Edition connected through a wireless bridge. There is another desktop that does connect via ethernet cable, but it is rarely used.

Secondly, it does not require a restart of any of the computer systems when the connection freezes - just switch the router off and on again.

Intervals between outages are random(6 hours since last reboot.). My summation originally was that by using two non-standard aerials, the irregular power-drain on the router was causing an error. However, I see the power supply casing on my unit has been damaged and I just realised that the router is not running on a surge protector.

I'll try putting it on a surge protector to smooth out any unwanted spikes in power.... I don't want to shell out unnecessary cash, but I think I'll end up searching for a new router/15 meters of ethernet cable....

Does anyone have the same problem with a different router??

As stated above, mine is the standerd wireless netopia router, I am thinking of getting a new router to see if that fixes the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm on BT1Mb connection. I have both a BT Voyager and Eircom Netopia routers and have interchanged them to see if it makes any difference - it doesn't

My wireless connection can drop frequently on either. I tried a different USB wireless receiver, no difference.

I brought the router into the same room as the PC (still wireless) and had no problems after that, but cant leave it there permanently as I have to trail cables around the place.

I'm going to try replacing the Netopia antenna with a high gain RP-SMA antenna to boost the signal from the original router location and see if this sorts it. Failing that I'm going to try a mains/ethernet combination (bit expensive though)

Thanks, i wont change the router so, looks like i will just have to put up with it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

I also have the netopedia eircom wireless router. For a start the initial connection for new devices takes hours to get working, -no matter what device.
    After initial setup my xbox connects fine, windows xp desktop connects fine, and other vista and xp laptops connect fine. But my main problem is with my new pc, its vista 64bit.
    Every time I turn the pc on I can't connect properly to the router- it just keeps saying limited or no connectivity over the wireless icon. I tried diagnose and repair, and restarting the router, restarting connection etc etc etc.
    And no matter what I do nothing works. But for some reason after a few hours of the pc running it connects to the network properly by itself. The only way around the problem Is to have the pc on all the time, - but can't do that anymore.
    Does anyone have the same problem or have a solution?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I also have the netopedia eircom wireless router. For a start the initial connection for new devices takes hours to get working, -no matter what device.
    After initial setup my xbox connects fine, windows xp desktop connects fine, and other vista and xp laptops connect fine. But my main problem is with my new pc, its vista 64bit.
    Every time I turn the pc on I can't connect properly to the router- it just keeps saying limited or no connectivity over the wireless icon. I tried diagnose and repair, and restarting the router, restarting connection etc etc etc.
    And no matter what I do nothing works. But for some reason after a few hours of the pc running it connects to the network properly by itself. The only way around the problem Is to have the pc on all the time, - but can't do that anymore.
    Does anyone have the same problem or have a solution?

I suggest you post this in the wireless forum in a new thread as it appears to be more a of a vists problem. Your router appears to be working fine as all the other equipment can be connected.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The OPs problem (though old news at this stage) was happening at our house until recently. We updated the firmware of the router, and touch wood, its not had a problem since.

Also noticed it when I went to my girlfriends house and used their internet.... maybe its me....:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement