Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Define 'partner' per Hibernian Insurance

Options
  • 30-11-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

I am a 23 yr old male with no experience on my first provisional. I have found Hibernian to be the cheapest insurer for someone in my position.

I have noticed though that if I add my girlfriend as my 'partner' and named driver on my policy it knocks a 300 off the price. We do not live together and obviously are not married so does she fall within the definition of 'partner'?

Thanks

F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say your best bet is to ring Hibernian and ask them. Better to get it from the horse's mouth as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Partner is a "live in" partner you must reside at same address to avail of the discounted rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

If ye can provide a bill at the same address this will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Barr wrote: »
    If ye can provide a bill at the same address this will do.

I wouldn't advise telling your insurance company lies half-truths. I suspect you need to co-habit for her to be a named driver. But get confirmation from them in writing as bazz26 suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Hi all,

I am a 23 yr old male with no experience on my first provisional. I have found Hibernian to be the cheapest insurer for someone in my position.

I have noticed though that if I add my girlfriend as my 'partner' and named driver on my policy it knocks a 300 off the price. We do not live together and obviously are not married so does she fall within the definition of 'partner'?

Thanks

F

My "partner" and I have been on each others Hibernian policies for about 4 years and our addresses are different. When I rang to be put onto his policy, the girl asked what relation i was and obviously just put it down as partner (me being 18 at the time!). Prob best just to ask though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I have noticed though that if I add my girlfriend as my 'partner' and named driver on my policy it knocks a 300 off the price.

I find this very strange. They said the same thing to me earlier this year, and I asked them why:

if I have someone else as a named driver on my car, who could use the car when I was at work, or home - ie, car would now be used more - therefore there is more chance of the car being involved in an acident, as it is on the road more, but they would charge me less?

They could not explain this to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

You questioned them lowering your premium???:confused: I think (could be completely wrong here!) that insurance companies think that if a young guy has a girlfriend, he's less likely to be out late at night driving around trying to impress others etc. i remember someone mentioning that at the time. My boyfriends dropped 250 when i went onto his policy. 250 x 4years...;)

Advertisement